The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Remote start?

muxmax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Media Moderator
Local time
5:59 PM
Reaction score
But the Grenadier doesn't have an electric heated front windscreen, so when it is -10 in the mornings it's going to take a few minutes to get hot air to the windscreen. The inside of my D4 had ice on the inside last month and that does have an electric windscreen. Even opening the door with frozen door seals was difficult
I take from a picture posted elswhere in the forum https://www.theineosforum.com/media/0380ef2a-afee-458b-91f2-e24127d9be09-jpeg.3037/ that there actually is a windshield heater ("Front" and "Rear" buttons). Do you have other reliable info @Eric ?

Local time
4:59 PM
Reaction score
We used to have electric engine heaters in our airport fire trucks that plugged into the wall outlet.
Supposedly had a system that they would unplug if the truck drove off without someone remembering to disconnect.
More than once the truck took off with the cable and wall box bouncing along behind
Like thisAUTO PLUG.jpg

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I take from a picture posted elswhere in the forum https://www.theineosforum.com/media/0380ef2a-afee-458b-91f2-e24127d9be09-jpeg.3037/ that there actually is a windshield heater ("Front" and "Rear" buttons). Do you have other reliable info @Eric ?
My D4 has one of these as well as the HFW. When pushed it diverts hot air to the windscreen and turns the heater fan to maximum. The issue being at first entry you have a cold engine, and at -10 you initially get a cold air blast to the windscreen. It'll take a few minutes to get any increase in the inside ambient temperature

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
@muxmax this is not a heated windscreen I'm afraid. - it is just air blowing along windscreen. - Will later go for aux -heater. (Webasto or alike) That topic is already discussed elsewhere here in the forum.
But maybe (although we don't know for sure) there is an electric heater for the air that is directed to the windshield. Somewhere here in the forum there was a post that sounded like this.

Rab

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Local time
Reaction score
Okay . if that is suitable for you.. its okay. Do not deny that. Its always on purpose and I most certainly do not claim omni-knowledge or tell others what they have to do.
If you never come in a situation where you need a vehicle preheated and a wall plug is miles away.

What I would really like is an aux-heater that can go both wall outlet at home and on fuel when no wall plug is available but that doesn't exist so far, does it?

An In my opinion - do what services you best.
Just thought I'd add my two cents:

Really cold starts are hard on many vehicle components and lead to early degradation of those components. For most folk, the coldest start is in the morning, and more often than not, one is at home, and so a plug-in heater is helpful and convenient. Of course, there will be many other times when an electrical outlet is not available, and you've got to start the car in whatever temperature you face.

But the key point is this: the plug-in heater is not usually an absolute necessity in order to get the vehicle to start; rather - it makes starting in the cold much easier on the vehicle. So the more cold starts you can eliminate with a plug-in heater the better, even if you can never eliminate all cold starts.

As a fun aside: when I was hitchhiking across the Tibetan Plateau, I got a ride in an old diesel truck for a few days. This was a decent sized truck on large tires, with pretty good ground clearance. Every morning, we built a little fire underneath the engine, and after the fire had warmed things up, the driver started the engine :eek:

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Really cold starts are hard on many vehicle components and lead to early degradation of those components. For most folk, the coldest start is in the morning, and more often than not, one is at home, and so a plug-in heater is helpful and convenient. Of course, there will be many other times when an electrical outlet is not available, and you've got to start the car in whatever temperature you face.

But the key point is this: the plug-in heater is not usually an absolute necessity in order to get the vehicle to start; rather - it makes starting in the cold much easier on the vehicle. So the more cold starts you can eliminate with a plug-in heater the better, even if you can never eliminate all cold starts.

As a fun aside: when I was hitchhiking across the Tibetan Plateau, I got a ride in an old diesel truck for a few days. This was a decent sized truck on large tires, with pretty good ground clearance. Every morning, we built a little fire underneath the engine, and after the fire had warmed things up, the driver started the engine :eek:
I read about this way of heating the motor in the book „Im Auto durch zwei Welten: Die erste Autofahrt einer Frau um die Welt, 1927 bis 1929 - Clärenore Stinnes“
(In a car through two worlds: A woman's first car journey around the world, 1927 to 1929 - Clärenore Stinnes)
It’s worth reading!

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
8:59 AM
Reaction score

Did they warm the diff and transmission oil as well, I've seen that done before, sometimes under the diesel tank also to raise it above the wax point if its particularly cold.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Why not.. I grew up on a small village. remember a neighbor farmer owning an very old Lanz Bulldog tractor single piston Diesel.. He pre heated the engine by a little fire underneath and a blowtorch.. Starting the engIne was noticed on opposite end of village.
The lad owning it was nicknamed after the sound the old engine made on start like a firing a cannon.. He used it to move his dunghill on to a trailer.. But using fire was the only way to get this thingie in motion. I am glad our engine start is much simpler now.. Guess we had to use pyrostarter..

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Did they warm the diff and transmission oil as well,
Maybe you should take your grenadier to bed with you. It's nice and warm there. :)

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
He pre heated the engine by a little fire underneath and a blowtorch.
The Lanz blowtorch only heats the cylinder head. The rest of the engine and all aggregates isn't affected.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Never mentioned anything else.. I was somewhat 12 years old at that time @emax . The guy lived opposite our house and the barn where he parked it was virtually in front of our balcony. He made a fire under engine in particular in winter and used a blow torch on cylinder head. I do Not remember if that was an original blow torch of Lanz or something that could be bought in a hardware store.. Just monitored the procedure from a distance .. getting this in motion attracted some elderly locals and of course teasing .. and a few beers downed as well.. Nothing for lil boys . Long time ago the Lanz was later sold. The owner and all spectators resting 6 feet under since quite a while now. Astonishing What a forum like this brings back memories long forgotten.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
8:59 AM
Reaction score
I’m surprised nobody has mentioned easy start yet. I swear engines get addicted. I used to put a can into each blower intake to get a pair of MTU2000 series started in winter and that’s with the engine heaters going. Used to bark like hell when they fired up.

Hopefully I won’t need this with the Grenadier :)

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m surprised nobody has mentioned easy start yet. I swear engines get addicted. I used to put a can into each blower intake to get a pair of MTU2000 series started in winter and that’s with the engine heaters going. Used to bark like hell when they fired up.

Yes we used to use it a lot with Tractors years ago. Apparently doesn’t so the engine any good 🤔

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:59 AM
Reaction score
Look people. I clicked on this link to learn about remote starters. Jeeze.

Kermit The Frog Reaction GIF by Muppet Wiki

(🤣)

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:59 AM
Reaction score

I'm just sayin'

SYB350.png

Back
Top Bottom