The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

UK & Ireland Rejecting Vehicle (UK)

Pipm4000

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:21 AM
Reaction score
I wasn’t going to post this but……I had one of the early May deliveries. When the car was ready I paid, insured it, it was taxed and i collected it. On startup it showed transmission error. The dealer said don’t worry it will clear and we have a software update soon. Normally I wouldn’t have driven away but because of the dealer model the car was already in my name. Off I went. Over the first month I had 2 air conditioning failures and multiple warnings - all of them - transmission, airbag, power steering, parking sensors, tyres every journey, ecall etc. the trip computer didn’t work either. The dealer said no software was available. On day 27 I took some friends to dinner. They got into the back and the seatbelt warning started and wouldn’t stop. They tried connecting all the seatbelts. I had to park take the key out and lock the car to get it to stop. The journey to the pub was full of warnings over and over again. Two of my friends sidled up to me and said “mate get rid of it”. One sleepless night later I decided to reject the vehicle. I couldn’t sell it - the airbag and power steering warnings were an MOT failure. I phoned Ineos and phoned the dealer - they had no solution so I took the car to the dealer and handed everything over. Ineos were great at first - “we understand” “we’ll process the refund” etc etc. after one week I chased - escalated then nothing chased again and again and again - some replies but now radio silence for over 10 days. No responses to my emails at all. I am over a month since handing it back - what should I do? I basically feel like I’ve been scammed. Am I going to see the £70k again? Anyone have a good contact at Ineos?

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I wasn’t going to post this but……I had one of the early May deliveries. When the car was ready I paid, insured it, it was taxed and i collected it. On startup it showed transmission error. The dealer said don’t worry it will clear and we have a software update soon. Normally I wouldn’t have driven away but because of the dealer model the car was already in my name. Off I went. Over the first month I had 2 air conditioning failures and multiple warnings - all of them - transmission, airbag, power steering, parking sensors, tyres every journey, ecall etc. the trip computer didn’t work either. The dealer said no software was available. On day 27 I took some friends to dinner. They got into the back and the seatbelt warning started and wouldn’t stop. They tried connecting all the seatbelts. I had to park take the key out and lock the car to get it to stop. The journey to the pub was full of warnings over and over again. Two of my friends sidled up to me and said “mate get rid of it”. One sleepless night later I decided to reject the vehicle. I couldn’t sell it - the airbag and power steering warnings were an MOT failure. I phoned Ineos and phoned the dealer - they had no solution so I took the car to the dealer and handed everything over. Ineos were great at first - “we understand” “we’ll process the refund” etc etc. after one week I chased - escalated then nothing chased again and again and again - some replies but now radio silence for over 10 days. No responses to my emails at all. I am over a month since handing it back - what should I do? I basically feel like I’ve been scammed. Am I going to see the £70k again? Anyone have a good contact at Ineos?
Sorry to read your tail of woe. Not really sure what to say, other than I am sure your refund will come through anytime now. You could try a personal email to Lynn Calder. Seemed to work for me when I couldn’t get confirmation that Ineos had my £70,000.

Andrew Kilby

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:21 PM
Reaction score
These are the steps I would take in Australia.

1. Email with 7 day deadline for the refund
2. Email on day 7 advising that in 7 days you will " unleash a social media fire storm" and got to whom ever your consumer advocacy group is in the UK. In Australia it is ACCC

Be factual in the social media storm. Attach correspondence that you might have. Mention the dealer and person by name and be factual, not defamatory.

Reactions: AWo

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Do you have an ombudsman/ woman to consult?

Andrew Kilby

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I understand you completely. Personally I trust the car "thanks to my technical knowledge and the forum", but I understand your decision;
I think they will refund you, but keep insisting.
I really feel sorry for you.
I still believe in the car.
I think one of us has missed the point. Didn't he ask for a refund and it was agreed. They have the car and the money. No pity here.

Pipm4000

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
These are the steps I would take in Australia.

1. Email with 7 day deadline for the refund
2. Email on day 7 advising that in 7 days you will " unleash a social media fire storm" and got to whom ever your consumer advocacy group is in the UK. In Australia it is ACCC

Be factual in the social media storm. Attach correspondence that you might have. Mention the dealer and person by name and be factual, not defamatory.
I’ve emailed Lynn Calder - I want to give them a chance but I’m a month without money. Posting here is the first step - going to court is expensive

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
12:21 AM
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Are you a linkedin user? Most of the Ineos Automotive executive team are on there. I was haunting https://www.linkedin.com/in/pearsongary/, the Head of Commercial Operations & UK, MENA & Ire at INEOS Automotive.

I am surprised they have been that passive; the number of issues suggests to me a low battery voltage, which is easily sorted, the tyre monitoring system is usually a reset as outlined in the owners manual, the trip counter is a software fault.

Send a 7 day letter before action to the registered office, you don't really want a file a claim for debt as the court fee will be £3500 on a £70,000 debt, https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/court-fees

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not in UK I think - maybe the FCA

Reactions: PBD

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I must admit to being a little bit confused.
One sleepless night later I decided to reject the vehicle

I don't see how you could decide to reject the vehicle.
Who did you hand it back to and where is it?
I hope you still have insurance on it.
You had paid for it, put it in your name, drove it away.
At that stage you own it and any issues are just warranty claims.
I don't see how anyone at Ineos could have said they will just give you a refund.
They would have to either
  • repair it under warranty,
  • provide a complete replacement vehicle under warranty,
  • or purchase the vehicle from you.
The first two options are easy and they will have mechanisms in place.
The last one would require documents, bill of sale, taxes, change of registration etc etc .
Ineos may not even have the ability to do that.

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:21 PM
Reaction score
In the UK the dealer as 30 days to rectify faults present at delivery, if these aren’t fixed you can reject the vehicle without loss.
I love this law and love that it has its home in the UK. Sir Jim, as we say in the Deep South of the U.S., "Don't start something you can't finish." As documented on this forum, many deliveries thus far have been the equivalent of dropping the baton on the last leg of the relay. Pick it up and hand it off, asap.

Back
Top Bottom