The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

TPMS and Airbag malfunction

Carl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:39 PM
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I picked up my Trailmaster yesterday… what a great car… !! However, after 30km’s the TPMS malfunction light came on and this morning the Airbag malfunction came on as well… Not sure if anyone can help, but here are my questions:

1. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
2. Can I reset the system myself or do have take the car back (I live an hour away from the nearest dealer)
3. How urgent are these warnings? Do I have to take it back immediately?

Any response will be appreciated…

Thanks Carl.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Carl
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase.
Unfortunately amber errors with messages are fairly common. There is a system software update pending that should eliminate most/all of these random messages🤞
There are several threads here on TPMS. Search is your friend. The TPMS can be reset. Take a look starting here:
Post in thread 'tyre pressure monitoring system' https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/tyre-pressure-monitoring-system.12410859/post-1333188317

Also see page 209 in the owner's manual.

The consensus amongst owners is that system error messages in amber that are displayed on the infotainment screen can "cautiously" be ignored. You will also see an amber triangle on the main display behind the steering wheel. I say "cautiously" because I'm not Ineos or your agent so you need to assess each message and if it's outside your comfort zone then get guidance from your agent.
Anything in red on the main display should be addressed as a priority.

I tend to get few or no messages by pausing a few seconds between turning the key on and cranking the engine. During the pause I wait for the amber triangle and messages to disappear. If the triangle doesn't disappear or if there are errors displayed on the infotainment screen that don't clear then I turn off the key, wait a few seconds then repeat. I rarely get errors while driving by using this method.

Last edited:

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:39 PM
Reaction score
I have noticed that on both the grenadiers that I have driven the TPMS will show an ‘error’ when it detects a tyre issue, under / over pressure / temperature. So the best way to stop it is to get your tyres at the right pressure and reset the system. I have found that at sub 40 psi the tyres warm up enough to trigger the system. Then you get an error. To clear the error you need to drive a distance, it wont just clear on inflation and a reset. I think the update will fix this.

Reactions: @nd

Carl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks everyone this very helpful. “Airbag malfunction warning light” has disappeared… TPMS still on, but I will try the lower tyre pressure trick and see if it works.

On another note, can the software update be done over “cover air” or is it going to take a dealership visit?

Thanks once again for your reply’s everyone..!

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks everyone this very helpful. “Airbag malfunction warning light” has disappeared… TPMS still on, but I will try the lower tyre pressure trick and see if it works.

On another note, can the software update be done over “cover air” or is it going to take a dealership visit?

Thanks once again for your reply’s everyone..!
Definitely dealer visit. There’s no over the air capability in the car.

for what it’s worth (and I agree you have to make your own mind up) I completely ignore all warnings on the infotainment screen, and have turned their volume off so I dont hear them. If anything appears in the lamp window behind the steering wheel, I’ll pay attention, and if it is red, regard it as critical. sSo far, I have only ever had the occasional amber triangle, that self clears. Think 3 times in over a month…

every vehicle worldwide seems to have infotainment screen warnings by the way.

Local time
Reaction score
Hi Carl
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase.
Unfortunately amber errors with messages are fairly common. There is a system software update pending that should eliminate most/all of these random messages🤞
There are several threads here on TPMS. Search is your friend. The TPMS can be reset. Take a look starting here:
Post in thread 'tyre pressure monitoring system' https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/tyre-pressure-monitoring-system.12410859/post-1333188317

Also see page 209 in the owner's manual.

The consensus amongst owners is that system error messages in amber that are displayed on the infotainment screen can "cautiously" be ignored. You will also see an amber triangle on the main display behind the steering wheel. I say "cautiously" because I'm not Ineos or your agent so you need to assess each message and if it's outside your comfort zone then get guidance from your agent.
Anything in red on the main display should be addressed as a priority.

I tend to get few or no messages by pausing a few seconds between turning the key on and cranking the engine. During the pause I wait for the amber triangle and messages to disappear. If the triangle doesn't disappear or if there are errors displayed on the infotainment screen that don't clear then I turn off the key, wait a few seconds then repeat. I rarely get errors while driving by using this method.
The software update doesn't eliminate the random errors/ warnings. On my vehicle, it appears that the errors are simply supressed. The warning bong sounds, and a error appears briefly on the central screen - too briefly to read. A 1 mile journey will generate 4 or 5 bongs. Does anyone believe that Ineos don't know how flaky their software is? If the company cared - they would not sell their customers a product which is not ready for market.

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:39 AM
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
The software update doesn't eliminate the random errors/ warnings. On my vehicle, it appears that the errors are simply supressed. The warning bong sounds, and a error appears briefly on the central screen - too briefly to read. A 1 mile journey will generate 4 or 5 bongs. Does anyone believe that Ineos don't know how flaky their software is? If the company cared - they would not sell their customers a product which is not ready for market.
@shawtrav I think you have a rogue vehicle as mine is stable and I have seen/heard of other vehicles that are not showing errors, not bonging etc. There are a few vehicles in the logistics train that have been problematic, but they are usually traced to faulty processors. Rejection is probably the right solution for you as you have lost faith - you will need to lean on Ineos Automotive as the dealers are agents, (and in your case, don't seem to be pro-active).

Some members on here have had a rough ride and Ineos have sorted the vehicle out, but it took co-operation between the owner, agent and Ineos.

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Are you sure you have had a full software update or just the head unit? As I understand it the head unit update does little to nothing to eliminate the source of the errors, but does suppress the display of them a bit. I think many who have been told they have had the update have actually just had the USB loaded head unit update.

Mitchell300

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Does it happen when you go over bumps ? I had that happen to me and it was one of the rear doors. Bit harder closing solved the issue.

Local time
Reaction score
The main point for me is this - I did not spend north of £60k on a new vehicle to deal with the vehicle faults and dealer incompetence/ Ineos indifference that I have seen here. I do not expect to have to do my own fault diagnosis, but given the glacial speed of the combined efforts of Ineos Technical and the Ineos dealer, that was what was starting to happen. Faults do happen - but it is how they are dealt with which is important. Or not, if you have problems with your new Ineos.

Back
Top Bottom