The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Redder is better - those towhook recovery points and A lettering throughout

Local time
3:26 PM
Reaction score
Alright then, need to get this off my chest (and I’ve seen similar sentiment in a few threads). I’m reserved for a Sela Green with white contrast roof here in the US (it looks too much like my favorite NAS Defender combo in Coniston green with white roof to pass up). I LOVE the red details on the prototype vehicles and noted as you all did that the recent change to the recovery points went from that brilliant red to some flat grey or black. I also REALLY love the red A on the small back door and on the bonnet lettering on the prototypes. What are our workarounds since I’m guessing we’re not getting any of this at this point?

The lettering on the bonnet and back small door can likely be wrapped or handpainted, yes?

The towhook recovery points can be powder coated to the same red I’m assuming, but my question is - IF those aren’t removable does anyone know if you can tape and powder coat something that is still attached?

All I know is that at some point I’ll have a Sela Green with white contrast roof in my garage and come hell or high water I WILL have those red highlights throughout!

Attachments

• DD3D0863-BA60-4F08-AE3F-E1848E760841.jpeg
    DD3D0863-BA60-4F08-AE3F-E1848E760841.jpeg
    526.5 KB · Views: 77

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:26 PM
Reaction score
The As on the hood and back door (and the spare tire cover too) will be easy. Someone will mock up the dimensions and cut vinyl to fit. Just like the decals used on pickups to “paint” the F150, Tacoma, etc stamped in tailgates.

I believe the recovery points are permanently attached to the frame so they cannot be powder coated since PC needs to be cured in an oven. I guess you could use red Raptor coating.

AC6EBC5B-8481-4BD0-92C9-036DCC26A8B1.jpeg

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
The As on the hood and back door (and the spare tire cover too) will be easy. Someone will mock up the dimensions and cut vinyl to fit. Just like the decals used on pickups to “paint” the F150, Tacoma, etc stamped in tailgates.

I believe the recovery points are permanently attached to the frame so they cannot be powder coated since PC needs to be cured in an oven. I guess you could use red Raptor coating.

View attachment 7798936
Hmmm…….not sure I knew how the powder coating process goes. I wonder if it can be taped/masked and just sprayed at a body shop? I know that wouldn’t be very durable though if you were actually using them as recovery points. I don’t see us using the points that much as we just plan on overlanding and rooftop tent camping.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Regular paint - even if applied by a body shop - wouldn’t look too good after a few uses. Raptor paint is like truck bed liner which is tough so that could do the job.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:26 AM
Reaction score
Yeah I would have liked the red A on the back door from factory.
Recovery points I’m less fussed about. I’d be surprised if they weren’t bolt on items though? I didn’t get down and look at them on the drive day.

Last edited:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
If it was important to me , I'd just paint the tow points with red enamel. Sure if the car is used as intended it will get scuffed , as will the rest of the car.
It's either a tool or a showpiece.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah I would have liked the red A on the back door from factory.
Recovery points I’m less fussed about. I’d be surprised if they weren’t bolt on items though? I didn’t get down and look at them on the drive day.
The rears very well might be bolted on. Looks like the fronts too. So @HouseMD it looks like you can remove and powder coat at a local body shop.

Attachments

• 2A5DA71B-E18E-4DE4-8D65-19D0323A613C.png
    2A5DA71B-E18E-4DE4-8D65-19D0323A613C.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 70
  • 9DC20BAD-7651-45B2-B44A-859B22C0B812.jpeg
    9DC20BAD-7651-45B2-B44A-859B22C0B812.jpeg
    427.3 KB · Views: 80

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7798936
The recovery hooks will get scratched up when used whatever you cover it with is not robust enough

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:26 PM
Reaction score
The rears very well might be bolted on. Looks like the fronts too. So @HouseMD it looks like you can remove and powder coat at a local body shop.
All the prototype photos I've seen suggest both have been welded on:
IMG_20230101_065408.jpg
Screenshot_20230101_065913.jpg

I'd like to know more about the front ones, and the reasoning why the attachment point is so far from the chassis leg and angled the way it is?

Last edited:

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7798952

I'd like to know more about the front ones, and the reasoning why the attachment point is so far from the chassis leg and angled the way it is?
Good point. The front ones seem to face down too much. There will be a lot of strain on them especially if doing a snatch recovery even when using a bridle set up. Maybe they are designed to bend indicating they have been over stressed? But there again this would only make sense if they were bolted on and replaceable.
Are they rated does anybody know?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
12:26 AM
Reaction score
@HouseMD
I totally agree with the red recovery points. They set a nice accent on the character of the Grenadier.

But I think that there is no material which could withstand a multi-ton load in the long run. Even powdering will not work, I think.

So the only choice is imho to get a spray can and to refresh the red color every now and then. I will not often use the recovery points, I think, so the refresher is probably rarely needed. A Raptor coating might last a bit better, but it's all guessing.

PS: A Raptor coating counteracts low-friction use ... which is bad.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, the tow hooks are rated:-

Fronts

View attachment 7798962

Rears

View attachment 7798963
Thanks. That’s interesting. Given the pictures DCPU posted, I would have thought that the rear horizontal loading would have been greater than the front. Also the rear are directly in line with the chassis rails should I would have thought would increase the load rating. 🤔. The front ones being at a 45 degree angle I was thinking an equal vertical and horizontal load rating!

Local time
Reaction score
IMHO you are over thinking this in the extreme….

Just mask them off and paint the bloody things. Rustoleum make an awesome paint “Hard hat” industrial which is much better and goes on beautifully than their regular consumer product.
I get a lot of things powdercoated and my local guy (Trenton NJ) is about 1000 yards from my shop. But generally I prefer good quality paint as powdercoat can cause all sorts of other issues which are hidden in the long term. Rust sneaking underneath and destroying the metal. As per the pic of Defender brush guard. There are other areas on the welded joints where the steel is rotted right through with no external evidence.

Attachments

• B2FBF6E8-D3B2-40CA-A6C6-C16277776D21.jpeg
    B2FBF6E8-D3B2-40CA-A6C6-C16277776D21.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 52

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7798953
View attachment 7798952

I took it as though the torx heads were holding on the tow hooks but in reality it looks as though it’s the bumper mounts.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If it was important to me , I'd just paint the tow points with red enamel. Sure if the car is used as intended it will get scuffed , as will the rest of the car.
It's either a tool or a showpiece.
Indeed. I'm hoping to get some "Arizona pinstriping" within the first 24 hours of ownership.
I want the red accents and the red Lambdas. I also plan to wrap the nose and rear door orange like the prototypes were done.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Indeed. I'm hoping to get some "Arizona pinstriping" within the first 24 hours of ownership.
I want the red accents and the red Lambdas. I also plan to wrap the nose and rear door orange like the prototypes were done.
Orange will be better than red , otherwise you'll be dodging Rudolph jibes :D

Back
Top Bottom