The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Recommended tools

Local time
8:49 AM
Reaction score
If intending to buy torx bits for your drive shafts buy good quality and buy two. Try to get 3/8" or 1/2" drive sockets that fit. They may be only M8 12.9 bolts at 33nm and likely installed with Loctite but after being fitted for some time with water, salt heat the bolts will feel like 133nm to loosen. Also carry a good hammer and punches a good clout on the head of a very tight torx bolt helps loosen and on most occasions stops lower quality torx bits from fracturing.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:49 PM
Reaction score
If intending to buy torx bits for your drive shafts buy good quality and buy two.
Backups of crucial tools are always a good idea.
Easy to drop and lose a socket in the mud.
I have a magnetic tray that doubles as a "find the lost bolt/nut/washer/tool" tool!
The tray lives just inside my tool drawer with often needed sockets attached.

Last edited:

ddv

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've got spare standard valve stems but have found out about these emergency stems.

Not cheap, but the alternative might be a lot of effort.
View: https://youtu.be/wxmChHZ9W4Y?si=6o8jIoDCF tU0vTZe

These look like a great idea. My only question is how they work in relation to the TPMS sensors which I assume are attached to the original valve stems.Presumably when removing the old valve stem as in the video the old sensor would rattle around inside the tyre (or alternatively extracting the old stem with the TPMS attached might be a problem - in which case inserting the new stem becomes a problem. Of course you could break the bead and fully extract the old stem and TPMS but this would reduce the attraction of these emergency valve stems. Maybe I've misunderstood the role of the TPMS sensors here.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No you're completely right. It is a trade off, of an emergency get me to a safe place for a permanent fix vs a rattling dislodged (and will be knackered by them) tyre sensor

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I'm thinking they might be useful for my caravan.
I saw this pic today and I don't believe rubber is as good as it used to be.
This was on a relatively new van tyre.
It can be a PITA changing a single axle van tyre (Though I've got a 10T bottle jack, which at least has a decent lift).
If it was just the stem, much easier just to put in the Colby I would have thought.
(PS I have a screw on TPMS on the van tyres, which I guess puts a bit more stress on the stem)

ddv

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No you're completely right. It is a trade off, of an emergency get me to a safe place for a permanent fix vs a rattling dislodged (and will be knackered by them) tyre sensor
Thanks. Yes I agree. Rattle is not so bad in an emergency so long as you can remove valve stem with sensor attached.

ddv

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm thinking they might be useful for my caravan.
I saw this pic today and I don't believe rubber is as good as it used to be.
This was on a relatively new van tyre.
It can be a PITA changing a single axle van tyre (Though I've got a 10T bottle jack, which at least has a decent lift).
If it was just the stem, much easier just to put in the Colby I would have thought.
(PS I have a screw on TPMS on the van tyres, which I guess puts a bit more stress on the stem)
Good point. I have the same set up on my tvan camper. will get a couple

Local time
Reaction score
Who cares about the TPSM the idea is to get mobile again. I have cut damaged valve stems punched the rest into the tyre and managed to install new valve stems with grease, swearing and some difficulty back into the rim to get moving again. How did we work all those years without TPSM? This is a good easy to use emergency repair product. With my work I have done some proper dodgy bush repair tasks to get 4x4s, trucks and equipment moving again into a safe location to execute a better repair. Just got to think outside the box and you will be amazed what can be achieved.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Which reminds me of one of our best tools - zip ties.
You can never have too many!
This evening I was packing away my 3 fire hoses , which live unfurled outside from December until after Easter. Fire season is getting longer these last few years. They are a sort of hard but flexible plastic and quite awkward to store. But I ziptied the 1st coil , rolled them up and ziptied the last loop. Don't know why I haven't done this before.

I carry a bunch of the large black zipties. As well as medium and small ones...

ddv

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Who cares about the TPSM the idea is to get mobile again. I have cut damaged valve stems punched the rest into the tyre and managed to install new valve stems with grease, swearing and some difficulty back into the rim to get moving again. How did we work all those years without TPSM? This is a good easy to use emergency repair product. With my work I have done some proper dodgy bush repair tasks to get 4x4s, trucks and equipment moving again into a safe location to execute a better repair. Just got to think outside the box and you will be amazed what can be achieved.
good to know

Local time
Reaction score
Which reminds me of one of our best tools - zip ties.
Three of the best breakdown parts, electrical tape, cable ties and 3mm to 4mm fence/gardening wire you will surprise yourself how much these three items will get a car mobile again or use for camping with the assistance of a multipurpose tool like a Leatherman or a SOG.

Back
Top Bottom