The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Rear side panels PTO2-057

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:43 AM
Reaction score
Saw a Utility Wagon PTO2 today with rear side panels, any thoughts on the irregular welds on the exterior perimeter of the panel and the foam pad stuck to the inside? Do we know if the welds will be visible and the interior treatment be improved on the customer versions?
PTO2-057a.jpgPTO2-057b.jpg

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:43 AM
Reaction score
Saw a Utility Wagon PTO2 today with rear side panels, any thoughts on the irregular welds on the exterior perimeter of the panel and the foam pad stuck to the inside? Do we know if the welds will be visible and the interior treatment be improved on the customer versions?
View attachment 7800942View attachment 7800943
I certainly wouldn't order the side panels.
Get windows and just blank them out
Single skin sheet metal walls are a recipe for disaster

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I certainly hope, as I’ve ordered a 2-seat Utility Wagon, that both the exterior and interior finishes of the rear side panels are improved.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:43 PM
Reaction score
Agree it does not look great at present.

However, those three attachment points look to be crying out for a Molle plate/recessed shelving to make best use of the "dead" space over the wheel wells.

If that was the case then the problem would "go away".

IMG_20230120_102035.jpg

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Less than ideal in current state. Hopefully sorted for customer vehicles. Still better for my intended purposes

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

However, those three attachment points look to be crying out for a Molle plate/recessed shelving to make best use of the "dead" space over the wheel wells.

View attachment 7800952
Yeah, exactly - that’s where my StarLink will live.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The foam pads are probably to reduce noise. Some sort of sound deadening pad perhaps.

Agreed, the panels probably resonate without them. It’s looks like a temporary solution, I just hope the final version is better finished.

A DIY solution wouldn’t be too hard, otherwise a motor trimmer would be able to provide a better finished panel lining.

caalm

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
On the Topgear article in the 17th photo, it doesn't look like your pics

Also the foam pad on the inside is for noise. Otherwise it'd 'boinng' like a piece of sheet metal when you bow it....hopefully they'll cover it on the inside

Every car has them on the inside of doors, body panels and roof, they're usually a bitumen material.

G-Man

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
The 'natural frequency of vibration' is your enemy with sheet metal panels. I used to have a series 3 hardtop where the whole vehicle used to sing out at 56 mph. Was a natural speed limiter :)

If you stick a sufficient amount of gunk on them it changes the weight of the panel enough to stop the harmonics at low frequencies, so you can turn your attention to the rattles instead!

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:43 AM
Reaction score

View attachment 7800952
We have them in our new work vans (Mercedes Sprinters) all over the interior panels

Local time
5:13 AM
Reaction score
I have ordered windows, but may change my mind. The advantages of the side panels are they are lighter, won't shatter, no seal to retain water so won't rust, if designed properly won't drum or be prone to harmonics of any sort, and if a lighter colour such as Scottish white or mushroom with the insulation on the inside will be cooler in the Australian sun.
On the other hand the windows look great and so do dark colours, what's a couple of kilograms, modern cars don't rust, and I have never broken a rear side window.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have ordered windows, but may change my mind. The advantages of the side panels are they are lighter, won't shatter, no seal to retain water so won't rust, if designed properly won't drum or be prone to harmonics of any sort, and if a lighter colour such as Scottish white or mushroom with the insulation on the inside will be cooler in the Australian sun.
On the other hand the windows look great and so do dark colours, what's a couple of kilograms, modern cars don't rust, and I have never broken a rear side window.
I’ve ordered ordered windows with the black out /UV shading option on my two seat commercial

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The advantages of the side panels are they are lighter, won't shatter, no seal to retain water so won't rust

It's a different case to say side windows in an old Defender, where the sides without windows are a continuous sheet of metal.

I think all body sides are stamped with an opening, so irrespective of whether it's filled with a window or a blank of sheet metal, both must have some form of seal?

Local time
5:13 AM
Reaction score
It's a different case to say side windows in an old Defender, where the sides without windows are a continuous sheet of metal.

I think all body sides are stamped with an opening, so irrespective of whether it's filled with a window or a blank of sheet metal, both must have some form of seal?
I just zoomed in on the picture, the blank is spot welded you are right.

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There's visible spot welds ~ neat, aligned, consistent pattern, no splatter, then there's this:
Screenshot_20221017_151743_com.facebook.katana.jpg

I'm no expert on welding but are they even spot welds? Look more like plug welds to me.

Back
Top Bottom