The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Procedure to shift into Neutral with a dead battery (fiddly but doable)

holdmybeer

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:52 AM
Reaction score
If your battery is dead and you need Neutral for a tow or a roll or whatever, sounds like a 5mm hex socket and access underneath the truck is required. With the Grenadier's clearance (compared to any other ZF vehicle), hopefully this doesn't mean jacking it up.

It's such a common transmission that details are around the internet, but here's one article: How To Put The ZF 8-Speed In Neutral Using The Neutral Safety Switch Bypass

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:52 AM
Reaction score
And while you're under there, replace that plastic tranny pan with something more robust.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:52 AM
Reaction score
As @Michael H. stated, on the Grenadier you use a 13mm wrench not the hex socket as on the traditional ZF 8HP... The wrench is included in the factory tool kit and has a substantial offset on the wrench to reach the required bolt. If memory serves me correctly, it is actually on the transfer case, to place it in neutral

Also, you can easily reach it without lifting the vehicle

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
And while you're under there, replace that plastic tranny pan with something more robust.

I did this with my Land Rover D3, hopefully there will be this option for the Grenadier as well. Will definitely do this when one becomes available

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As @Michael H. stated, on the Grenadier you use a 13mm wrench not the hex socket as on the traditional ZF 8HP... The wrench is included in the factory tool kit and has a substantial offset on the wrench to reach the required bolt. If memory serves me correctly, it is actually on the transfer case, to place it in neutral

Thanks for that @anand. ✅

I hadn’t realised that the spanner (wrench) was in the factory tool kit, and I just put a 13mm socket and ratchet driver in my tool kit. 🙂

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

#Multiple cultures separated by a common language:
Translation: wrench = spanner

" you canna hand a man a granda spanner than a Sidchrome that's the brand the experts choose... "":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
#Multiple cultures separated by a common language:
Translation: wrench = spanner
So in Australian that'd be a spanny, right? 🤣

Local time
3:52 PM
Reaction score
A Shifter a shammer and a Leatherman will get even the biggest machines going again.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
4:52 PM
Reaction score
I did this with my Land Rover D3, hopefully there will be this option for the Grenadier as well. Will definitely do this when one becomes available
While I would, like you, also feel better with something made of metal, I have to say that the ZF oil pan is recessed so far up that there is little risk of damaging it. If you come over an obstacle with the front axle, I can't imagine how the pan can still be in the danger zone.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Would a metal cover dissipate heat any better?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Would a metal cover dissipate heat any better?
It would, however, I'm not sure that these vehicles truly need it. Of course, someone monitoring trans temps while doing a low speed Summer desert crossing would be more appropriate to monitor the temps and report back

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
While I would, like you, also feel better with something made of metal, I have to say that the ZF oil pan is recessed so far up that there is little risk of damaging it. If you come over an obstacle with the front axle, I can't imagine how the pan can still be in the danger zone.
I don’t disagree it is not that vulnerable, but the other benefit is the replacable filter. ZF used to, probably still do cliam these are sealed for life. However smart owners will do a flush and replace of the fluid at 50-70,000 km and that is the time to replace the pan (you would have to replace even with the plastic one if you want to change the filter as it is built into the olastoc pan, which then means future fluid changes just need the filter changed not the whole pan.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
4:52 PM
Reaction score
ZF used to, probably still do cliam these are sealed for life.
Definitely never has and still doesn't. It's the car manufacturers which claim this. Changing the oil in a ZF auto is a critical task as it's a complicated procedure which has to be followed meticulously. Nobody wants to take over responsibility if something goes wrong. That's why the car manufacturers claim they have a lifetime oil fill.

ZF has always published maintenance intervals for their gearboxes like you have written: around 70K to 100K Km depending on the type.

The oil filter is integrated in the original oil pan. But the costs are moderate in face of the long maintenance intervals. A complete set is on the free market below 250€, including the oil and all gaskets and seals. Only parts, work goes extra, of course.
addendum

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom