The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Australasia Price breaks on Grenadiers- $3500 in accessories credit. Market Soft?

dreamalaska

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:40 PM
Reaction score
Look like a dealer deal to move product - good for new Melbourne customers. Since only 8 vehicles were registered in the UK in Feb I wonder how sales are going in Australia? And the USA for that matter.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:40 PM
Reaction score
Look like a dealer deal to move product - good for new Melbourne customers. Since only 8 vehicles were registered in the UK in Feb I wonder how sales are going in Australia? And the USA for that matter.
The dealers don't have stock to move.
The vehicles are purchased direct off Ineos.
Last month the Brisbane dealer had 30+ vehicles they were delivering to customers.
There are a lot of dealers in and around Melbourne and if the sell price is fixed then they have to do something to attract buyers away from their opposition.

1711417546151.jpg

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:40 AM
Reaction score
The dealers don't have stock to move.
The vehicles are purchased direct off Ineos.
Last month the Brisbane dealer had 30+ vehicles they were delivering to customers.
There are a lot of dealers in and around Melbourne and if the sell price is fixed then they have to do something to attract buyers away from their opposition.

View attachment 7849873
Holy Crictney, those are all dealers??? Not like here in the US, at least around me.

US sales are moving along from what I understand. My dealer says that a lot more IGs are showing up lately, it really has picked up. They have had very few dropped cars from what I understand, especially when you take in how long it has been for us in the US since reserving.

On selling ‘spare’ units, IG has done no real mass marketing on these. Unless you are really looking for them, I don’t know if you’d really find them. Maybe when this years are all delivered, word will get out about them. I think they are pretty distinctive, but to a lot of people they may just think it is a Bronco (from the front the headlights are similar) or a Land Rover, or a fat G-wagen.

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
12:40 AM
Reaction score
Probably nothing more than Ineos wanting to unload a backstock of accessories due to the sheer volume of other offerings available. There must be half a dozen folding rear tables out there now. Why would anyone buy the OEM version? Or OEM rocksliders? Or OEM roof rack? Or...?

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The bulk of production at the moment is headed to "Nth America", such is the growing popularity, according to the "Tech Tour" talk given in Brisbane a couple of weeks ago. The arrival of the Quartermaster and its cab-chassis variant has caused a lot of interest on Australia such that there's some concern about being able to get production slots for sufficient stock next year... . The low numbers of registrations in the UK may be due to legal regulation of Ineos having to meet annual "overall fleet emission" targets, (hence the electric version), or restrict the sales of ICE versions to a given annual quota in lieu of legislated financial penalties....

AWo

Local time
9:40 AM
Reaction score
The bulk of production at the moment is headed to "Nth America", such is the growing popularity, according to the "Tech Tour" talk given in Brisbane a couple of weeks ago. The arrival of the Quartermaster and its cab-chassis variant has caused a lot of interest on Australia such that there's some concern about being able to get production slots for sufficient stock next year... . The low numbers of registrations in the UK may be due to legal regulation of Ineos having to meet annual "overall fleet emission" targets, (hence the electric version), or restrict the sales of ICE versions to a given annual quota in lieu of legislated financial penalties....
I can confirm that. No or at least very few cars are manufactured for the European Market now.

Regarding the fleet emissions I asked Dirk Heilmann at the IAA in Munich in 2021 if that will become a problem as there are only two large engines offered. He stated that won't become a problem as they negotiate with the EU. However, that is a complicated issue for a manufacturer which has higher production numbers than a small volume manufacturer (what Ineos is not) and less than a "normal" manufacturer.

20210906_175724.jpg20210906_183923.jpg

For the EU 2024 is the last year where the flet emission is calculated by the output by gramm per kilometer (95g/km applies for the average vehicle weight within the EU. This is calculated every year based on the numbers of the last year).

From 2025 to 2029 a manufacturer has to reach a 15% reduction of CO2 for its fleet based on the numbers reached in 2021. This starting value in 2021 is calculated this way:

95g CO2/km × WLTP Fleet Average of all manufacturers in 2020 / NEFZ Fleet Average of all manufacturers in 2020

So Manufacturers have to have 15% less CO2 that that calculated number.

You can find that regulation in the EU directive 2019/631.

Easy, eh! But to make it not too easy, the overall 15% savings are distributed over all manufacturers depending on the average vehicle weight of all modells of that manufacturer. The lighter the vehicle are, the better for the manufacturer (not the only reason I.M.H.O. to build light vehicles.....)

Ok, where is Ineos in this game? To define that we need to look into the EU directive 2018/858 (BTW: EU directives are the only EU regulations which apply immediately in all EU member countries. All other regulations have to be transferred into national law and the member country can decide on its own if it wanst to do that. That applies for example to the UN-ECE regulations for car homologation).

A small car manufacturer is defined as follows:
- M1: 1,500 units per year registered withn the EU
- N1: 1,500 units per year registered within the EU

while
- not more that 250 units are allowed per EU country for M1
- not more that 250 units are allowed per EU country for N1

If the numbers are higher, the manufacturer is not considered a small car manufacturer. Even if the manufacturer is member of whatever organizations there exist.

Also regarding EU directive 2019/631 only car manufacturers with a production number less than 1,000 units for M1 and N1 types can negotiate its emission savings with the EU. If you stay below 10,000 M1 units you can ask the EU for an exception. But that also doesn't apply to Ineos. However, for N1 the number of 22,000 unit apply. Maybe Ineos can use negotiate here.
As Ineos lies within the range of 10,000 to 300,000 units M1 they can ask that their reduction numbers are calculated different (to not apply calculations in appendix A 1-4 but other calculation modells). But huh, here it became to complicated for me. I read that a few times, but to get the numbers out which do apply, I need to read it some more times....sorry. However....there are exceptions for Ineos, I'm sure. The base for them will be cars in 2007 with a compareable weight. These will define the starting point for the CO2 reduction Ineos must realize.

AWo

Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
UK had a maximum of either 4,500 or 6,000 vehicles per year depending on mix of standard and utility.
Going from memory so feel free to correct me if I am incorrect.
USA also has quantity restrictions so eventually they will hit a limit as well.
Australia has no restrictions except the very small population and even smaller number of people in the market for a live axle $150,000+ station wagon.

This is the closest direct comparison to the Grenadier Station Wagon in Australia.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhkSh4aMdtE

Last edited:

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:40 AM
Reaction score
I was speaking to my dealer about the quartermaster. They said q1 of 2024, the US would be able to put their name in hat for quarteaster for end of year. It has been radio silence which leads me to believe the Ineos is delaying the launch in the US because of the early demand. 100% speculation and conjecture but that is what I master in, in school.

Back
Top Bottom