The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Episode 004 "Exclusive Greg Clark interview and first North American On Road Drive"

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
11:43 AM
Reaction score
There’s a few other things that we’re trying to make happen. But plans are fluid and the stars have to align.
The big take away is that INEOS are really pushing the idea of a long term engagement from dealers and corporate towards customers making the Grenadier ownership as enriching as possible, and this community is front and center with making that happen.

Reducs

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Supporter
Local time
2:43 PM
Reaction score
@Stu_Barnes I'm curious... did you notice any recognition while out and about in it? I know the couple at the crosswalk were oblivious to what was stopped next to them.

We're in such an echo chamber that it's easy to forget 99.9% of the population (or more!) have no idea what an Ineos Grenadier is. The next year is going to be interesting. ;)

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
4:43 AM
Reaction score
Thanks for the very interesting video. @Krabby gets the prize for the better driving, as he actually stopped at the 🛑 sign, unlike @Stu_Barnes. 😜

It was great to be able to put faces to names. I have seen @DaveB before, on a zoom call with Ineos Brand Communications, and now I know what Stu and Krabby look like. 🙂

I can’t drive anywhere around Sydney without lots of people pointing or waving at my Grenadier. Maybe there’s greater brand recognition here.

Looking forward to more videos.

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
We watched the video on Youtube this evening and really enjoyed it. It was especially fun to see Topanga as I lived in the canyon for a number of years. I've even hiked most of the stream bed from above town down to PCH (Pacific Coast Highway). Lots of big and iittle changes to be sure.

I want to say "Thank You" to Greg Clark for making the drive/interview possible and for being as candid as he was. It is understood that there are limits to being absolutely forthright in these situations but the dirty details aren't really that important anyway. His reiteration of Ineos' goals with the Grenadier and the emphasis on ruggedness, durability, and longevity felt genuine and provided reassurance that we have made the right decision in ordering one after only the briefest of test drives. Hopefully he will eschew the MO of most automotive bigwigs and grace the forum with more of this kind of direct interaction - time permitting, of course.

If I had one complaint it was that you twice passed by Maiibu Point without so much as a mention of the world famous surf break. Off topic, yes, but GC might've enjoyed that little nugget.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks both, enjoyed the content, probably works better for a good deal of it as a podcast as the camera position is just frustrating and you are talking about cars you see but basically we can’t see because of the camera position. Next time put the camera somewhere with a better view. 😄 but enjoyed nevertheless

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Our day jobs are no different than many of you and we're by no means professional cinematographers, sound technicians, etc., and if we haven't made that clear, that's on us. And, as Stu noted, much of this was very last minute and being that we're not pros at this, we didn't have tons of equipment laying around and ready to go. Additionally, in that same vein, we did have some technical snafus that eliminated other camera footage and reduced sound quality. I'm not trying to be defensive, just putting this reality on your radar and note that this endeavor (the forum and podcast) is in addition to our careers.

@moosetown - I thought the truck rode very well and was easier to drive than I expected. It's a solid vehicle and has a presence on the road. The steering is different, as has been noted time and again, but it's not hard to adjust to nor a concern. My last four vehicles were quad-cab half-ton pickups so I'm used to a large vehicle; the one noticeable difference is the turning circle, which is much wider compared to pickups as they're IFS. Moreover, although it's been 20 years, it felt a bit familiar having owned a Discovery II - which also has dual solid axles. I looked like a fool with the gear shifter - it's very different than what I've used and if I'm honest, I'm not a fan. I would prefer something more traditional in both function and form.

@RobS - we did speak off camera with Greg as well as Rick Craine (engineer), Colin Burke (sales), and the elusive Tony whose last name I cannot recall. There were no major revelations as far as I recall, but it was nice to chat with them all.

@Bruce Exactly - how crazy is it that the CEO of the Americas invited two clowns (well one clown 🤡 and me 🤣) to drive this fantastic vehicle and taking the time to sit and chat as we did so. GC is supportive of this forum and the communities it has brought together. Like he said, we in the states are so passionate about something we don't even have yet and for some, haven't even seen in person! Moreover, he and IA Americas, recognize that true enthusiasts are on this forum and it's vital for dealers to engage not only here, but to work together on events once the keys are in our hands. On top of all that, Greg really is a car guy and I hope that came through in the interview - he's a great guy and one I personally look forward to speaking again.

@Reducs Stu spent more time in the driver seat and given the value and importance of what he was driving, his concentration was focused on the task at hand. I, however, was free to look about and there were plenty of stares. At one point we had stopped in a parking area on the side of the road and there was a line of traffic crawling by - lots of looks and some envious ones too - mostly from guys in lifted 4Runners! We also stopped at another point and this very colorful lady walking her dog wandered over and was quite inquisitive of the vehicle and what we were doing. Shame it wasn't on film TBH as she asked some great questions and was quite - how should I put it - eccentric I think is a nice way 🤣.

@Michael H. Putting names to faces is a good thing, but not necessarily our faces. Like I said elsewhere, we look better in low-def 😂 - and even greater if you take your glasses off!

All that being said, it was a very exciting opportunity for us both and one that I consider to be a once in a lifetime kind of thing. It came together very quickly and Stu was instrumental in making me be a part of it a reality - he certainly has my deepest gratitude.

Last edited:

Reducs

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Reducs Stu spent more time in the driver seat and given the value and importance of what he was driving, his concentration was focused on the task at hand. I, however, was free to look about and there were plenty of stares. At one point we had stopped in a parking area on the side of the road and there was a line of traffic crawling by - lots of looks and some envious ones too - mostly from guys in lifted 4Runners! We also stopped at another point and this very colorful lady walking her dog wandered over and was quite inquisitive of the vehicle and what we were doing. Shame it wasn't on film TBH as she asked some great questions and was quite - how should I put it - eccentric I think is a nice way 🤣.
Thanks! I should have tagged you in the original question. Apologies!

I'm so happy you two got this opportunity. 🥳

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Thanks for this - loved the views of Malibu sea front; this is probably the only way I'll get to see it!

I was intrigued about the perceived lack of bandwidth; I have regularly got the impression that Ineos Automotive have a tiger by the tail and are really struggling to keep the tail tight. The UK retail experience is not what it should be, with bits of the dealer network feeling unsupported and no easy way for me to buy service and vehicle option packs/accessories. All part of a maturation process, but frustrating none the less.

DDG

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Great job gentlemen. You represented the forum very professionally and really added to the community value. As well as Mr Clark. Greg is in the right job. His passion for the project is plain to see and he clearly “gets” the market zeitgeist. Thank you for taking your time and providing this information!

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Welcome back for this special officially unofficial Grenadier podcast hosted by KRABBY and STU with Greg Clarke guest starring.

We ditch the webinar for a full interview, conversation and dalliance into the car world and really try to nail down how the sausage is made.

WE discuss the Grenadiers market position, the challenges bringing it to market and the strategic partnerships with the North American dealers. We also occasionally get misty eyed about vintage Land Rovers, so apologies for that.

The chicken tax comes up yet again as we discuss the Quartermaster and the enthusiasm from the North American market and finally we find out about Gregs love of Chips.

No after hours session on this show sadly, just a Stu that was very nervous about damaging a very special vehicle and a Krabby who still isn't sure on the gear lever...

Sit back, relax and enjoy this episode of Grenadier Works with KRABBY, Stu and GREG too.....

View: https://open.spotify.com/episode/3Nx9alsbWIrpaEyAb5Lr6b?si=37f14f5de5a14d82

And for those that just have to to see the stunning vista of the sweeping Malibu canyons and somewhat less stunning visage of Krabby and Stu, here is the YouTube link to the channel.

View: https://youtu.be/EXW9ngPjHzE
Very much enjoyed the video. A nice surprise with Greg as a guest. Nice to put faces to Stu and Krabby too. Know that part of the coast well. My wife and I enjoy driving along Malibu often. The whole ethos of the Grenadier is present with all of you in the Grenadier. DaBull

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Local time
12:43 PM
Reaction score
@Stu_Barnes @Krabby Any insight on remote service or options for people at a significant distance from a dealer but not in the designated remote service regions like Phoenix and Austin?

Reactions: jwb

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That did not come up in conversation and to be honest, wasn't on my radar. It's something that we can put out there for certain.

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
@moosetown - I thought the truck rode very well and was easier to drive than I expected. It's a solid vehicle and has a presence on the road. The steering is different, as has been noted time and again, but it's not hard to adjust to nor a concern. My last four vehicles were quad-cab half-ton pickups so I'm used to a large vehicle; the one noticeable difference is the turning circle, which is much wider compared to pickups as they're IFS. Moreover, although it's been 20 years, it felt a bit familiar having owned a Discovery II - which also has dual solid axles. I looked like a fool with the gear shifter - it's very different than what I've used and if I'm honest, I'm not a fan. I would prefer something more traditional in both function and form.

This is an interesting comment Krabby - quick question for you: How "Puttable" was it in terms of handling? Or maybe - How does it compare to a Jeep JK/JL for nipping into parking spots and tight spaces?

One of the things I love about the mid-size footprint is how "puttable" they are - being able to swing into a parking space at the grocery shop in one go (i.e. without having to back up and drive back in) is quite valuable because in the bush that might be putting it between a couple of stumps or big potholes. It's not a dealbreaker but it's something I'm curious about.

GrenADV

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My takeaways from the video:
  • Awesome that you guys had Greg on the podcast - I'm thoroughly impressed with how polished and articulate he is - I'm sure he'd make for a successful politician if his corporate C-suite job ever gets old. Easy to see his genuine passion for this product and for cars in general.
  • It's refreshing to hear Greg's feedback on this forum and how useful it is to the IA team in further iterating and refining their customer service, vehicle enhancements, quality control/assurance - mediums like this forum and social media sites are both great and terrifying for brands that trying to build (positive) awareness/recognition in the market.
  • Cool to see driving shots around Malibu. There's a ton of traffic there - not that I'm surprised, as I've been to CA plenty of times (although never to Malibu), but still was interesting to see.
  • Chips...I thought you were referring to the thin, crispy, delicious potato variety, but you were instead referring to the late '70's - early '80's TV drama series based on California Highway Patrol (I had to Google it - I guess I'm too young). For the record, the only chips I acknowledge are the Utz brand (if you know, you know, and being from Central PA, I definitely know).
In all seriousness - nice job on Episode 004 - thanks to @Stu_Barnes and @Krabby for keeping us entertained - keep up the awesome work!

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:43 PM
Reaction score
I have to admit that I completely missed the podcasts until today. Shame on me.

The forum has grown a lot, it's easy to lose track.

I have just watched episode 4 and I'm impressed. Good format, professional communication. We are in good hands, it seems. :)

Thank you both and keep it up! (y)

Back
Top Bottom