The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Pickup version spotted today in Graz

grenadierguy

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:00 PM
Reaction score
I’ve owned 4 different pickups - 3 were dual/crew cab - and enjoyed them all. But 4-door American pickups look complete, like they were designed from day 1 to look proper and proportional. The IG Ute looks odd to me, like someone just took the station wagon and hacked a chunk out. I feel the same way about the Honda Ridgeline. It’s a Pilot with a bit chopped off.

That said, I’m sure it will perform great and be a huge hit in Oz and elsewhere, but it’s not my cup of tea. I won’t regret not waiting for it.
You take that back Krabby! A Honda Ridgeline?! :eek:

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:00 AM
Reaction score
Not practical to leave the spare tyre in the tray, surely it would have to be moved underneath? (is there room?) Would do your head in if using as a work vehicle for carrying loads.

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
12:00 PM
Reaction score
Remember that it is on an extended ladder frame so weight distribution will be much better even though it is behind the rear axle.
Patriot campers in Australia took a RAM1500?? offroad with normal Australian 4wds and it had to stop as it was too wide for the track
This is the picture I took of the Grenadier in a hotel carpark and there isn't much room to open the doors
View attachment 7800990

I can't wait to start seeing these stateside - it seems to fit quite nicely into that parking space (albeit snugly!) and so I'd wonder what an F-150 or even an F-250 would look like in the same space; the Gren looks bigger, but not THAT much bigger, than the sedans next to it so the package overall looks quite tidy.

Also I hear you on the ladder frame - but this seems to be a pretty common issue with modern vehicles and I think it might be because of crash-test required, engineered crumple zones introducing weak spots in the chassis that bend when the force of a rear-end collision occurs; said force can be easily replicated by a big frost heave or gully hit at speed with a trailer off road; this didn't seem to be as common a problem with older vehicles, but they were far more dangerous in a crash. So, I wonder how the Gren will do in these situations -- will it avoid the curse that befalls the Ranger, Colorado, and other similar sized trucks or will it somehow navigate that differently?

Here's an example of what I'm talking about - notice how many of the trucks are models from the last ~10 years or so, but still have the ladder frame and yet still bend:

Local time
3:00 PM
Reaction score
Happened to be in London yesterday so dropped by the dealer in Chiswick (West London) who has a late prototype.
The agent was super helpful but I wasn’t allowed to see under the bonnet. Overall very impresssed and look forward to mine eventually being available in the US

As for size and indeed looks it seemed very similar (indoors) to a Jeep Wrangler. I also have an F150 on order for Business reasons and we were joking about that being impossible to drive in the UK/Europe as simply too massive. He did say he’s getting a lot of interest from the “ G wagon city types” and from a let’s say “pimp my ride” aftermarket stylist (name withheld). So expect to see inner cities getting clogged with totally inappropriate vehicles.

Local time
3:00 PM
Reaction score
ChasingOurTrunks……

The “chicken tax” is a BS tax from 1964….!!!!!
Introduced by President Johnson in retaliation for France/Germany taxing the import of industrially farmed chickens… YES literally.
So the US imposed a 25% import duty that’s never been repealed in 70 years FFS and is a blatant example of protectionism, (I don’t want to get into a debate about all the other forms in either direction)
I got caught up in it recently when importing my owned for 4 years then imported a 25 year old Defender 130 ….. 25% duty.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:00 PM
Reaction score
Happened to be in London yesterday so dropped by the dealer in Chiswick (West London) who has a late prototype.
The agent was super helpful but I wasn’t allowed to see under the bonnet. Overall very impresssed and look forward to mine eventually being available in the US

As for size and indeed looks it seemed very similar (indoors) to a Jeep Wrangler. I also have an F150 on order for Business reasons and we were joking about that being impossible to drive in the UK/Europe as simply too massive. He did say he’s getting a lot of interest from the “ G wagon city types” and from a let’s say “pimp my ride” aftermarket stylist (name withheld). So expect to see inner cities getting clogged with totally inappropriate vehicles.
Tbh that doesn't surprise me being as that agent is in Chiswick! Not exactly a rough and ready mud plugging area 🤣

If you took all the grenadier agents in the UK, and ranked them by Gwagons per sq mile, Chiswick would have a handy lead!

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:00 PM
Reaction score
Not practical to leave the spare tyre in the tray, surely it would have to be moved underneath? (is there room?) Would do your head in if using as a work vehicle for carrying loads.
There can’t be any room underneath! The Australian will need it to install extra fuel and water tanks there!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:00 PM
Reaction score
I really hope they don't.

JLR did it with the RRS. You had to open a hatch under the centre of the boot and wind a bolt that winched it up and down. So that meant unloading the boot to open the hatch.

Additionally, the winch cable was accessible from below. So a cheap pair of wire cutters meant spare wheels were being stolen left, right and centre.

The position of the spare also meant it was a natural trap for mud, road salt, etc.

Last edited:

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I want this so bad. The tub would be removed and I would import Norweld or zone canopy. the rear tire would be bolted to the back of the canopy. I can't get behind the alu-cab slide in.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:00 AM
Reaction score
I want this so bad. The tub would be removed and I would import Norweld or zone canopy. the rear would be bolted to the back of the canopy. I can't get behind the alu-cab slide in.
Justin Hocevar said there will be a cab chassis version for Australia so you won't have to pay for the tub just to remove it

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The picture also reinforces that the US might get an LWB/pickup with a SWB at launch. It ties into pushing things back to mid summer with prices. As @DaveB pointed out, the removal of the tub and a flat tray may get it around the chicken tax. What also may help is where it is sold like John Deere or a commercial work truck dealership.

Local time
5:30 AM
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom