The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Pickup version spotted today in Graz

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:53 PM
Reaction score
I am sad, I can’t say I love it. Maybe someone can photoshop a leveling kit and 35s and it would look better, like the gladiators. That though with a small cab over and safari windows may be pretty slick though.

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:53 AM
Reaction score
I am sad, I can’t say I love it. Maybe someone can photoshop a leveling kit and 35s and it would look better, like the gladiators. That though with a small cab over and safari windows may be pretty slick though.
I think it will look better with a cab-chassis and more utilitarian tray or box type on the rear. BTW I never thought the Jeep Gladiators looked particularly good either. Something about style-side tubs on Jeeps & Original Defenders that just looks a bit weird in my optinion.

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
3:53 PM
Reaction score
Looks fantastic, some serious 130 vibes from it. I personally prefer a full cabin like the wagon has, but the truck configuration (my current style of rig) is way more useful in general. I can see this being a better buy for me than the wagon; I can throw a cap on the back and build it to "live around" just like I would the wagon, I can tray-and-canopy or tray-and-camper configurations to give me an even better "live around" design or a "live in", and it should be able to carry a decent camper as a slide-in given it's payload that would still let me use the bed.

Can’t wait to see some specs. If payload/size converts from the Wagon, this would be giving some of the half tons a run for their money for some types of platform.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Wasn't there an option to register your interest in a pickup variant on the Ineos homepage a while back? I'm sure I clicked on something saying I would be interested, or was that just a daydream?
Yes, I have clicked this button too. But month before this has been created, I have had several phone calls to register my interests. But if it takes as long as the station models. I will cancel. I wanted to fit a living cabin. And not for several years. I'm already looking around elsewhere in parallel.

Last edited:

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It looks exactly like the Easter egg picture dropped into one of last year's interviews with Sir Jim:
View attachment 7800933

The barwork in the tub is not as nice as the earlier drawings, the extended utility belt has gone, and the large single pane of glass looks vunerable:
View attachment 7800934
Not sure the chassis has been extended on these.

I must say the round tail lights on the prototype pics looks awful.

@DaveB promised me a LWB wagon - I want to see that!!!!

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:53 PM
Reaction score
I really want to like this but I think I like the wagon better. The proportions of the truck just look...off. Maybe better with a safari top over the bed, extending the roofline. I'll probably change my mind many times over this. Cool to see the US test vehicle designation. Gives me hope.
I do not need the pick up. But I am interested in 20 cm more cargo room in the back of the SW. Even 20 cm would be great.
But of course I registered as interested for the pick up as well!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not sure the chassis has been extended on these.

I must say the round tail lights on the prototype pics looks awful.

@DaveB promised me a LWB wagon - I want to see that!!!!
When I asked Justin or Tom about the pickup prototype driving around over a year ago they replied that was the long wheel base prototype not just the pickup.
I am pretty sure Justin also mentions it in one of his interviews (maybe Robert Pepper??)
A two seat Utility long wheelbase wagon would certainly make the overlanding crowd happy

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I guess the point I was trying to make is that trucks that were designed to be pickups from the start typically look better than pickups that were derived SUVs/wagons. Side note - that is one hell of a bumper setup.

G-Man

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
10:53 PM
Reaction score
Phwoooaaaar! In my favourite colour too!

The wheelbase has to be longer so the wheel arches can be incorporated into the rear tray area and not interfere with the rear of the cab - makes for a much simpler design.

I like it :love:

dynosoar

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:53 PM
Reaction score
Phwoooaaaar! In my favourite colour too!

The wheelbase has to be longer so the wheel arches can be incorporated into the rear tray area and not interfere with the rear of the cab - makes for a much simpler design.

I like it :love:
David Dafr spotted the pickup version prototype in Graz, Austria, today :)

It looks good!

Copyright David Dafr

326035728_868604630850757_7909223850660643105_n.jpg

325968678_1611785952663962_2838610081014987930_n.jpg

325946981_474052518268302_9017324328808360793_n.jpg
Hello,
When the first news came of the pickup version I registered my interest straight away.
I also wrote with a list of suggestions which I doubt anyone read or forwarded.
My main suggestion was to nick the mid gate idea from the Chevy avalanche. Those have a rear window that drops down into the bulkhead and then the bulkhead folds forward for a full length flat load bay.
But this also allows excellent access to the front of the tray through the side doors.

One area of concern with the double cab pick up is how much weight it can carry. U.K. tax authorities seem to demand a 1t load capability and I suspect if you add up the kerb weight and then add one tonne the whole car might then slip into the next weight category.

A

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This might be naive, but the time from prototype to build shouldn't be too long, right? The engine, interior, the whole front half of the truck is all set already production.
I think the timing might be more impacted by fitting it in to the production line and giving the existing range time to sell.
If they launch that at the same time they are taking US orders they may not have the factory capacity to build them

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:53 PM
Reaction score
This might be naive, but the time from prototype to build shouldn't be too long, right? The engine, interior, the whole front half of the truck is all set already production.
May be, may be not, a pickup type has significantly less weight in empty mode. This means the springs, powertrain rear axle.. could have quite some impact depending on whats loaded in there. - perhaps spacious but low weight.. so indeed -
developing a derived vehicle should be simpler - but certain parameters may lead to surprising results.

Deleted User Account.

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
I think it will look better with a cab-chassis and more utilitarian tray or box type on the rear. BTW I never thought the Jeep Gladiators looked particularly good either. Something about style-side tubs on Jeeps & Original Defenders that just looks a bit weird in my optinion.
The original humvees pull off the look perfectly. This looks like the gladiator which is not a handsome vehicle (and frankly, seems weird in the US market with so many other better looking truck options).

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
It is really hard to beat the look of a 4 door Tacoma. I wish Toyota would either upsize the Tacoma or downsize the Tundra back to the first Gen Tundra. With the looks of the Tacoma. And stick their 5.7 back in it. And increase suspension travel, and room for 35s stock. And a 1t payload. And only charge 20k.

Back to the Ute, we need to see them a little built. I don’t like Gladiators as they sit on the lot. But there are some darn good looking ones in the mall parking lot.

Mountain guy

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
The box is so short. What good is it? I would love to have a real Grenadier truck that can take bigger cargo. How do I fit sheets of plywood and sticks of lumber in this? What about my Grizzly quad? It wont fit. So for my lifestyle I will always have to keep a second real truck in the driveway. To bad I would rather have a Grenadier truck that would serve all my needs. :)

Cheers!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The box is so short. What good is it? I would love to have a real Grenadier truck that can take bigger cargo. How do I fit sheets of plywood and sticks of lumber in this? What about my Grizzly quad? It wont fit. So for my lifestyle I will always have to keep a second real truck in the driveway. To bad I would rather have a Grenadier truck that would serve all my needs. :)

Cheers!
Unlike NA the rest of the world has size and weight restrictions.
carparks spaces are typically 5.6 metres x 2.6metres wide.
With the standard Grenadier 4.85 metres that leaves 615mm to play with
There are also very strict rules on how much the bed can extend past the rear axles.
The cab chassis version will make it easier to load things in the back on a tray, which is extremely common here for work vehicles
1674250286877.png

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
3:53 PM
Reaction score

Cheers!

Good point on the size of the box - I know the midsize trucks use the "can you fit a sheet of plywood" metric and the answer is "yes" but over the wheel wells (wheras 1/2 ton and larger can fit the sheets between the wheel wells). Of course, that means much greater width on the 1/2 tons, which limits some off-road and remote area capability, so everything is a compromise one way or the other.

I'm also seriously wondering how this will be delivered -- there's something about a "chicken tax" in the USA that makes trucks made internationally difficult to import (I don't know the details) but I've read that a way around this is to import a vehicle that isn't fully assembled (i.e. chassis-cab configurations, with the bed added at the destination). If that's the case, I would LOVE to see a partnership with a company like Norweld or Mits Alloy to provide a factory tray-and-canopy option. In your use case, Mountain guy, the tray would be perfect for moving around an ATV and lumber while preserving the width of the truck for remote area access, so being able to spec it that way from factory would be fantastic. You could always go with a "box top" deck - quite common for snowmobilers and such -- but they put the weight really high and I'm personally not a fan.

The other concern that I've been thinking about is the position of the rear axle. It's so far forward that it creates a significant load area behind the axle -- 2/3rds of the box appears behind the rear axle's centre -- which acts as a lever and inhibits carry capacity a bit and may post a challenge for campers and such. There are a plethora of broken-backed trucks out there because of this leverage, which gets particularly bad when off-road towing.

I can see the comparisons to the Gladiator as the shapes certainly do rhyme but I give the nod to Ineos on their design; one of the things I don't like about the gladiator is that it appears to be designed to look aggressive for the sake of aggressive rather than for any particular function. On the Wrangler, a lot of the design is practical for rock crawling, but the Gladiator uses the same design cues even though it's not super suitable for that purpose in the same way. The Gren Pickup seems to soften that aggressiveness a bit so I prefer the looks. I can see a fella using a Gren to go bird watching in tweed while he's not attending to his farm and looking quite at home in this pickup -- more like a country estate truck; the Gladiator has a vibe that's a bit more more "sun glassess, beards, and tattoos" (and as a guy with all those things, I'd probably match the gladiator better, but this analogy is an attempt to articulate what feels 'softer' about the design of the Gren pickup to me).

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Good point on the size of the box - I know the midsize trucks use the "can you fit a sheet of plywood" metric and the answer is "yes" but over the wheel wells (wheras 1/2 ton and larger can fit the sheets between the wheel wells). Of course, that means much greater width on the 1/2 tons, which limits some off-road and remote area capability, so everything is a compromise one way or the other.

I'm also seriously wondering how this will be delivered -- there's something about a "chicken tax" in the USA that makes trucks made internationally difficult to import (I don't know the details) but I've read that a way around this is to import a vehicle that isn't fully assembled (i.e. chassis-cab configurations, with the bed added at the destination). If that's the case, I would LOVE to see a partnership with a company like Norweld or Mits Alloy to provide a factory tray-and-canopy option. In your use case, Mountain guy, the tray would be perfect for moving around an ATV and lumber while preserving the width of the truck for remote area access, so being able to spec it that way from factory would be fantastic. You could always go with a "box top" deck - quite common for snowmobilers and such -- but they put the weight really high and I'm personally not a fan.

The other concern that I've been thinking about is the position of the rear axle. It's so far forward that it creates a significant load area behind the axle -- 2/3rds of the box appears behind the rear axle's centre -- which acts as a lever and inhibits carry capacity a bit and may post a challenge for campers and such. There are a plethora of broken-backed trucks out there because of this leverage, which gets particularly bad when off-road towing.

I can see the comparisons to the Gladiator as the shapes certainly do rhyme but I give the nod to Ineos on their design; one of the things I don't like about the gladiator is that it appears to be designed to look aggressive for the sake of aggressive rather than for any particular function. On the Wrangler, a lot of the design is practical for rock crawling, but the Gladiator uses the same design cues even though it's not super suitable for that purpose in the same way. The Gren Pickup seems to soften that aggressiveness a bit so I prefer the looks. I can see a fella using a Gren to go bird watching in tweed while he's not attending to his farm and looking quite at home in this pickup -- more like a country estate truck; the Gladiator has a vibe that's a bit more more "sun glassess, beards, and tattoos" (and as a guy with all those things, I'd probably match the gladiator better, but this analogy is an attempt to articulate what feels 'softer' about the design of the Gren pickup to me).
Remember that it is on an extended ladder frame so weight distribution will be much better even though it is behind the rear axle.
Patriot campers in Australia took a RAM1500?? offroad with normal Australian 4wds and it had to stop as it was too wide for the track
This is the picture I took of the Grenadier in a hotel carpark and there isn't much room to open the doors
1674253437495.png

Back
Top Bottom