The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Phones/ iOS and Android OS

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:07 PM
Reaction score
There is written "connect you telephone with a USB-C connection."

I have this connector on my mobile phone:

View attachment 7815060

which is Micro USB and thus not USB-C.

Question: Does that mean that I can not connect my mobile phone to the Grenadier?

The phone runs Android.
Same as me, in anticipation I have purchased off Amazon a couple of adaptors - C male to female USB 3 - to go into the cubby C port leaving the USB3 female for my standard phone charging lead. I went this way because wifey has a different type of phone micro USB to me so we have to use or different charging leads. (sorry charging/data lead)

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:07 AM
Reaction score
@emax that is correct, micro was standard for non-Apple phones for a long time. Most phones have switched over to USB C in the last 5 years. As Eric mentioned, look for an adaptor or use it as an excuse to upgrade your phone.

Last edited:

Ineos4

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:07 AM
Reaction score
Read my answer above. I never said anything god or bad regarding Android or iOS and for sure nothing about dumb, snobby or lifestyle Grenadier buyers.
You lay something in my words in quiet an unfair way here. Don’t you think so?
I would also like to say, clearly no-one who is buying a grenadier is a sheep following the crowd and buying iPhones! I had one as a workphone for a week handed it back and said it was crxp. I've gone old school with a Nokia 5.4, and I'm waiting to see if windows will create a duo 3 before dipping into that one. I had the previous incarnation of the windows phone, but it didn't take. I'm not a fan of android, they haven't lived up to their , "do no evil" motto.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
6:07 PM
Reaction score
or use it as an excuse to upgrade your phone.
Never.

I like to use my gear as long as possible. I hate the makers policy to stop updates, be it software or connectors, to force people to buy a new mobile phone or whatever. My S41 is just five years old which is the same as new for me.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Same as me, in anticipation I have purchased off Amazon a couple of adaptors - C male to female USB 3 - to go into the cubby C port leaving the USB3 female for my standard phone charging lead. I went this way because wifey has a different type of phone micro USB to me so we have to use or different charging leads. (sorry charging/data lead)
So if I understand correctly, it's just a matter of the car's USB-C port being mandatory to use to connect the phone?

Not a question of the USB-C specification itself?

Maxwell

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7815060

Question: Does that mean that I can not connect my mobile phone to the Grenadier?

The phone runs Android.
Doesn’t the owner‘s manual refer to the socket in the center console?! Every cable has at least two ends. So the cable you would probably be looking for should be a Mirco USB to USB C.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7815060

The phone runs Android.
I would guess that if you have and adaptor cable like this it should work:
usb-c-naar-usb-b-micro-kabel-lengte-0.2-meter.jpg

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Now I understand. It's just the machanical link on the car side, not the connection spec.

Thank you.

@Jean Mercier That's apparently what I need. I'd however like to have the USB-C side as a 90° angled version.

I'll try to find one. If somebody else already has a source, I'd appreciate a link or an article number.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Doesn’t the owner‘s manual refer to the socket in the center console?! Every cable has at least two ends. So the cable you would probably be looking for should be a Mirco USB to USB C.
Yes, but I experienced difficulty locating one (for the wife's some Samsung deviant?) and doing it C male to USB3 female meant a bit more flexibility for other devices

Last edited:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:07 PM
Reaction score
Micro USB and USB-C are different. What's on the other end of the wire? Is the Micro-end the bit you put into your phone?

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Micro USB and USB-C are different. What's on the other end of the wire? Is the Micro-end the bit you put into your phone?
For the cubby box you need a C male.
Your phone end is likely to need C male or micro C male, phone dependant.
So cable needs to be C male to C male or alternatively C male to micro C male depending on the phone type.
To allow for different devices in use I went down the 'C male to USB3 female adapter' (in the vehicle C port) and just let everybody else use their own dedicated data /charging lead that way they know the phone end fits their device.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:07 PM
Reaction score
For the cubby box you need a C male.
Your phone end is likely to need C male or micro C male, phone dependant.
So cable needs to be C male to C male or alternatively C male to micro C male depending on the phone type.
To allow for different devices in use I went down the 'C male to USB3 female adapter' (in the vehicle C port) and just let everybody else use their own dedicated data /charging lead that way they know the phone end fits their device.
That's what I was trying to glean from emax. I'm thinking of ordering a wireless charging pad for the bottom of the cubby box since I'll be able to connect CarPlay wirelessly but I'll wait until I actually have a truck! Where's that sick of waiting tread?

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That's what I was trying to glean from emax. I'm thinking of ordering a wireless charging pad for the bottom of the cubby box since I'll be able to connect CarPlay wirelessly but I'll wait until I actually have a truck! Where's that sick of waiting tread?
Me too, I'm waiting for a Grenadier to plug onto my male C ...

RavenVoice

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm not sure how android users are considered "the poors" as the same model Samsung I use currently sells for $2159.99, whereas my iPhone was free with adding a line to my cell plan.
It’s reverse snobbery (a horrible phenomenon that’s extremely common in the UK unfortunately).

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have a wireless charging pad for my iPhone in the Grenadier plugged into the USB C socket.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:07 AM
Reaction score
75 % market share of the whole market. In my opinion the market share of Android within the Grenadier community will be less as people who can buy a Grenadier more likely have the money to buy an I Phone.
This of course is not a rating of the operating system.
I only got an iphone about 2 years after I got an ipad.
I liked the ipad and so when it was time to replace my phone I just got one that could work with the ipad.

Back
Top Bottom