The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Panel or no panel, that is the question

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:18 AM
Reaction score
What does everyone think about the option to add a panel instead of the window in the storage area?  Currently, no gull-wing doors are showing up on the accessories list.  This leads me to start thinking of selecting the option to add the panel instead of glass in the back.  In my LHD vehicle, I never look out the last set of windows so it doesn't help with my driving.  The only thing I can think of is letting more light into the cabin.    I  like the idea of a hardtop which makes it unique but also practical when piling the back up.   

Since I have a year until i get my Grenadier, i figure might as well obesse with details to kill time.  

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
4:18 PM
Reaction score
ADVAW8S said:
What does everyone think about the option to add a panel instead of the window in the storage area?  Currently, no gull-wing doors are showing up on the accessories list.  This leads me to start thinking of selecting the option to add the panel instead of glass in the back.  In my LHD vehicle, I never look out the last set of windows so it doesn't help with my driving.  The only thing I can think of is letting more light into the cabin.    I  like the idea of a hardtop which makes it unique but also practical when piling the back up.   

Since I have a year until i get my Grenadier, i figure might as well obesse with details to kill time.  

I find myself looking through the rear window quite a bit, so I am going with glass. If you do not look through the rear window while you drive - there probably isn't a wrong answer. The panel might keep the car a tiny bit cooler in the summer, but it also might make it a bit of a cave in the back - which only matters depending on how you use your truck.

I've heard some folks say they prefer the panel for theft-deterrence, because it is harder for someone to look into the vehicle and see what you have in the back. Most vehicle break-ins where I live happen at trailheads, and the thieves are going for wallets left in the vehicle while the owner is running/hiking/skiing. I don't think a panel would offer any deterrence in this circumstance. Good luck with your choice!

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have dog cages in the back so a panel is better but "gull" windows would be the bees knees!

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
For sure - dogs love the gull wings!

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
This is something I've been mulling over as well. I loved the look of the Mushroom "PTO1" vehicles in episode 11 of building the grenadier, the side panels looked ace. As mentioned above, they'll also make it easier to load gear to the ceiling, and not worry about a stray spanner taking out a window off-road. 

That being said, I don't want the back of the vehicle to be dark and gloomy for rear seat passengers on long journeys, as i love how light and airy these LWB wagons are. 

still undecided 

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:18 AM
Reaction score
The panel looks a bit unusual from the inside. If that is single skin you could easily end up with damage showing on the outside 

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
DaveB said:
The panel looks a bit unusual from the inside. If that is single skin you could easily end up with damage showing on the outside 

Unless its made out of:

?

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Isn't the whole thing made out of vibranium?   Great point.  Plus the noise would be louder.  I do hope they add gull wings.  

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not noticed on other photos but what looks like spot welds around the panel look very noticeable on this one:

FB_IMG_1664141920748.jpg

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:18 PM
Reaction score
Not noticed on other photos but what looks like spot welds around the panel look very noticeable on this one:

View attachment 7793981
I have also seen these welding dots on other vehicles. Maybe it's a homage to the Defender.;)

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Tks DCPU. That's my colour and Ive gone for panels as well. Looks good.

Two flags??

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Tks DCPU. That's my colour and Ive gone for panels as well. Looks good.

Two flags??
I would love for them to have an extra flag, which would be the Country it is being delivered to.
Grenadier is a true international with its engineering and product development plus trialing it all over the world and its build.
I have been thinking of an Australia flag medallion made to suit, since seeing the two flags on the vehicle.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
More close ups of the spot welds:

Screenshot_20221017_151743_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Local time
Reaction score
if you are thinking of the gullwing panels then get the glass. If will never want gullwing then the solid panel is fine. I would love to see the inside to see if they did any insulation or covering of the panel. If not it would be a giant heat sink.
I am getting the windows only because I am willing to wait for aftermarket inserts like:
I like the idea of having access to tools, recover equipment or in this picture a kitchen:
1666024808650.png

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
5:18 PM
Reaction score
Spotwelds: I don't think that's the final finish.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Spotwelds: I don't think that's the final finish.
I think so too. In the series process, the spot welds will all be the same size and in one line.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Gone panels. Prob more fiddly to fit gullwing windows but don't want glass in the back until they are available.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I have gone glass, considered the panels as more secure but didn’t want to make the vehicle a dark hole in the back. Not bothered about IA gullwing doors as I am confident that some of the first after market accessories will include gullwings and most likely be designed for just taking the windows out and replacing them with the gull wing panels Or windows.

It will also give me time to assess the cabin and see if glass or solid is the way forward.

I just feel it will be easier to swap myself with the hole already there and trimmed.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yep, think you are right. Glass will pop out easy. I'll be swearing a lot and using an angle grinder and lump hammer.

Back
Top Bottom