The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Off-road, Overlanding / Green Laning Articles from the web

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:09 AM
Reaction score
Hm lane assist and this shite .. To be frank.. those ranters in the back .. I my have suggested to leave and wait for a recovery service to pick them up together with their broken ride.
Not having auto folding side mirrors, paddles, dead ankle.. etc. How did we survive the last decades where auto lights, auto low beam high beam etc weren‘t invented or available?

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:09 AM
Reaction score
Hm lane assist and this shite .. To be frank.. those ranters in the back .. I my have suggested to leave and wait for a recovery service to pick them up together with their broken ride.
Not having auto folding side mirrors, paddles, dead ankle.. etc. How did we survive the last decades where auto lights, auto low beam high beam etc weren‘t invented or available?
TBH I've had flappy paddles for decades in my various Discoverys' and I can say I have never ever used them!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:09 PM
Reaction score
To some extent we survived but others didn't.
Some of the items are active safety , some passive.
I think as cars have become more powerful , move and brake faster the average driver over estimates their abilities and the simple matter of the physics of bigger , heavier cars when things stop suddenly.
Not to mention the inattention factor , mobile phones and general ADHD being an issue we never had in the old days.
Notwithstanding the above, and the greater likelihood of surviving an accident nowadays, the old school 4x4s did manage to get to all ends of the earth - somehow! Sheer bloody mindedness and practical knowledge gleaned from military service certainly helped!

Often I feel "guilty" driving a car with modern comforts. I even regard aircon as a luxury.
Flappy paddles are things well suited to fish.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
To some extent we survived but others didn't.
Some of the items are active safety , some passive.
I think as cars have become more powerful , move and brake faster the average driver over estimates their abilities and the simple matter of the physics of bigger , heavier cars when things stop suddenly.
Not to mention the inattention factor , mobile phones and general ADHD being an issue we never had in the old days.
Notwithstanding the above, and the greater likelihood of surviving an accident nowadays, the old school 4x4s did manage to get to all ends of the earth - somehow! Sheer bloody mindedness and practical knowledge gleaned from military service certainly helped!

Often I feel "guilty" driving a car with modern comforts. I even regard aircon as a luxury.
Flappy paddles are things well suited to fish.
Even at that time some more powerful vehicles existed.. I was a pax - not driving it - in a 300HP Porsche Turbo.. ..a real beast. With just 4 manual gearbox.. and it required a skillful and demading driver.

Assistants are convenient but we should be able to keep and train our own skills. Airline pilots have their standard operation procedures and there is something called Facts, Options, Decision, Action, Review (if action survived)
The most important support - like park sensor and rear cam are in IG. So what else would be required in a comparably slow vehicle.
Self dimming internal mirror?
Lane Assist? Mostly switched off. OffRoad No Use.
Collision /Distance Radar? Use it occasionally - but that is a motorway topic - at higher speeds. OffRoad No Use.
Dead Ankle Sensor? Yep that is something I definitely like but because of pedestrians and cyclists in my area. (OffRoad No Use)
Cruise Control - in Germany useless.
Light sensors Auto / On / Off - Headlight.. - I ve got mine mostly in "Auto" mode .. but seriously . do I need that really? Nice to have but not a must..
To me I do not miss anything really on IG.
If I would require a ride for often and regular "Autobahn" / Motorway long distance ON road use.. - my demands on convenience would perhaps a bit different.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I use the flappers a lot in my Audi and also the D4, I think they're fantastic, no more so than now as the rh air intake manifold is split and I need upshift regularly to keep sub 1800 revs to avoid the dreaded "limp mode"! Will miss them when the Grenny materialises.

Some thinks work for you some things irk you - life is good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 30

AWo

Local time
Reaction score

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
"Where the trails run out"....great book. I love the part where they found a rubber snake in the boot which some funny Land Rover guys placed there...

Here is the officila video to the Trans-America-Expedition with footages from the Darien Gap.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u31yhCmIJ5E

AWo
Thanks a lot for the link!
I like the capstan winches on the range rovers!
Interesting what mountains of material they needed. 2400 cans of beer and 80000 cigarettes 😀

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the link!
I like the capstan winches on the range rovers!
Interesting what mountains of material they needed. 2400 cans of beer and 80000 cigarettes 😀
British military expedition = normal provisions. Morale boosters 😁

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I use the flappers a lot in my Audi and also the D4, I think they're fantastic, no more so than now as the rh air intake manifold is split and I need upshift regularly to keep sub 1800 revs to avoid the dreaded "limp mode"! Will miss them when the Grenny materialises.

Some thinks work for you some things irk you - life is good.
I hated the idea of paddle shifters... until I used them in the Raptor, excellent way of changing gear in any situation without removing your hands from the wheel. The Raptor's paddle set up is rock solid, quite robust. I too will miss them.

Bushguide

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
10:09 PM
Reaction score
I read that he had a good relation to all sort of animals. But at the Nil and the Darian Gap he used airplanes and no eagles to find the best routes.
I first met him at Bullman airstrip in Arnhem Land in 1980 (he was being flown out on an RAAF Caribou aircraft) and then again in Derbyshire in the UK during a Bushcraft Expo a couple of years ago.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 29

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No signature in my copy.
But it seems to be stolen from the Royal Air Force😬image.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: AWo

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
I can see that being one of the first modifications that people make. give it 12 months and there will be an 'upgrade' kit available.
Sorry, catching up on old threads!
One of the first (of many!) mods I made to my D-90 was to connect a hose to each axle/diff breather and extend it up to the top of the enhine compartment firewall. Easy fix to prevent fluid entry into the diff (I never trust a one-way valve to do its job in a position like that!)

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just bumping this thread back to the original topic-anyone reading anything good?

I subscribe and read Tread, Overland Journal, and OVR (which seems to be a newer publication). I have tons of time to read in the summer so I’m always looking for something good.

Back
Top Bottom