The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Off-road, Overlanding / Green Laning Articles from the web

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:33 AM
Reaction score
Not WA but WW;

some deep and floating parts. Good vid.

which beings me to the Grenny and it's 800mm wading depth.

If there's no breathers for the diffs or transfer case them what's setting the 800mm max depth (air intake/ecu's etc) and how could one possibly raise it?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:33 PM
Reaction score
Not WA but WW;

some deep and floating parts. Good vid.

which beings me to the Grenny and it's 800mm wading depth.

If there's no breathers for the diffs or transfer case them what's setting the 800mm max depth (air intake/ecu's etc) and how could one possibly raise it?
The rumor is that the axles do not have breathers, but solid information on the axles has been hard to find. In essence, though, bigger tires or portal axles are the main way to raise the undercarriage.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:33 AM
Reaction score
The rumor is that the axles do not have breathers, but solid information on the axles has been hard to find. In essence, though, bigger tires or portal axles are the main way to raise the undercarriage.
According to latest information I received - the axles have breather valves above wading depth.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was recalling @DaveB 's post from December "Ric said this morning that the diffs are sealed and don't have breathers" (admittedly I'm not sure who Ric is). But, as we know, things are still changing daily, so I could certainly be mistaken.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:33 AM
Reaction score
I was recalling @DaveB 's post from December "Ric said this morning that the diffs are sealed and don't have breathers" (admittedly I'm not sure who Ric is). But, as we know, things are still changing daily, so I could certainly be mistaken.
Ric is my local Ineos dealer.
He may have misunderstood my question or I his answer

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ric is my local Ineos dealer.
He may have misunderstood my question or I his answer
Ah. That said, is it fair to assume that, in fact, the diffs have breathers?

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Krabby and @DCPU

today I received an answer from K&E my agent here in Rhein - Main,
This is the answer in German - as copied from Inbox and translated.
Direct answer from Ineos.
„Die Achsenentlüftung befindet sich oben auf jeder Achse. An jeder Achse befindet sich ein Einwegventil.
Und auch unsere Getriebe haben Entlüftungsventile.
Die Watttiefe liegt bei 80cm.“

Self translated in English
"The axle deairing is located on top of each axle. On each axle is one one-way valve installed.
and our gearboxes are equipped with deairing valves also.
The wading depth is about 80 cm."

To me my first statement - read it elsewhere meant the axles are equipped with bidirectional valves (breathers)
which is wrong.

But this a statement by Ineos. So one way only.
To me it is quite unusual that I will ever be wading.. if I ever need to prepare for a journey expecting this in some more distant future
I assume some fellow IG owners reported already their experience and an after market supplier may have a solution ready.
(or Ineos if their current design doesn't work out in real life and more warranty claims raised due to this)

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks ~ it bumps the answer along. 👍

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
The right attitude , if not always doable or "palatable"
These guys did an epic Tasmanian wilderness trip and used PVC pipe to collect their poo and carry it out.
For the 9 days they waited for the weather to clear they hung their own poo bags in trees so they wouldn't get mixed up.
That's what we do on long climbs!

In the 1970s and 80s people climbing big walls in Yosemite - like El Capitan, and Half Dome - would poop into paper bags and toss them from their vertical bivy on the wall. The base of these climbs started to get disgusting. Before we started up The Nose (the longest route on El Cap), my climbing partner leaned back only to put his hand into a deep pile of poop. Since the early-1990s, the requirement is to carry your poop up the entire climb (3-5 days is fairly common). Initially, people pooped into resealable paint cans. We were some of the first in Yosemite to use a PVC pipe capped at both ends, and this became known as a poop-tube. We should have trade-marked that thing; talk about turning shit into gold 😁

Note: this is off-topic, in honor of @DaveB who is under self-imposed exile, purportedly because he went off topic too often. Come back soon Dave!

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
We lived in Camp 4 in Yosemite Valley for the summer. Climbed 100 days in a 110-day span. Four routes on El Cap,, a couple of routes on Half Dome, etc. Good times!
View attachment 7802168
crikey, that makes my occasional trip down to Wales to shake off my trad skills a little amateur hour. Great photo and what an epic time you must've had. Awesome 👏

Guess the rear ladder on the Grenny is going to prove no challenge!!

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I just read the article in the German 4x4 action 3-2023. it is nothing new and very positive.
„The last paragraph made me laugh 😆

Meanwhile, in the rear, two hapless journalist colleagues of the "life-styler" variety have climbed aboard. They rant about the lack of paddle shifters on the steering wheel and about a long list of driver assistance systems that the Ineos does not have. I don't really miss anything. Only a retractable partition to the rear
would be great.“
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom