The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Off-road, Overlanding / Green Laning Articles from the web

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:29 PM
Reaction score
do you have a link or isbn? I love this sort of thing.

just finishing 'first overland' right now.
@Stu_Barnes Here's a couple. I got them via Abe books or Booktopia or something.
Have you got Last Overland , published this year? I'm waiting for the 4 part doco early next year (already aired in the UK)

Attachments

• IMG_8364.JPG
    IMG_8364.JPG
    809.3 KB · Views: 27

Bushguide

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
5:29 AM
Reaction score
@Stu_Barnes Here's a couple. I got them via Abe books or Booktopia or something.
Have you got Last Overland , published this year? I'm waiting for the 4 part doco early next year (already aired in the UK)
I met him in Arnhem Land when he was doing the Duke Of Edinburgh Awards Scheme around 1980 I think, at a place called Bullman NT. Met him again in the UK at Derbyshire and "Lofty" Wiseman at the same day and place. The troops nicknamed him Barstard-Smell but he was a throughly decent bloke.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I met him in Arnhem Land when he was doing the Duke Of Edinburgh Awards Scheme around 1980 I think, at a place called Bullman NT. Met him again in the UK at Derbyshire and "Lofty" Wiseman at the same day and place. The troops nicknamed him Barstard-Smell but he was a throughly decent bloke.
That reminds me , I have the book of that Operation Drake award scheme "This is a book about the largest and most complicated expedition ever to leave Britain"
King Charlie wrote the foreword.

And from my reading/viewing he comes across as a fine fellow who didn't rest in retirement. I've ordered his latest book ""From Utmost East to Utmost West" is an anthology of stories from John Blashford-Snell's life of exploration and adventure.".

Attachments

• IMG_8366.JPG
    IMG_8366.JPG
    621.7 KB · Views: 23

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I subscribe to both Overland Journal and Tread magazines (I use Zinio on my iPad). Both are quality publications and I look forward to getting the new issues every other month.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:29 AM
Reaction score
stop getting married?
Unfortunately I'm at the age where lots of my friends are tying the knot! (first time...)

Believe me, one was enough as far as I'm concerned! felt like planning an Invasion of mainland Europe would have been more straight forward!

But yes, AA is on the cards in 23

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:29 AM
Reaction score
Not watched it yet, just a trailer, but I've got this bookmarked for a quiet hour over Xmas ~ Video of the Week: Alaska to Patagonia via the Darién Gap

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not watched it yet, just a trailer, but I've got this bookmarked for a quiet hour over Xmas ~ Video of the Week: Alaska to Patagonia via the Darién Gap

Sounds like a nice watch for later. Any idea of the vehicles used?

NVM - they’re on motorcycles.

Last edited:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
And for context

Steveo

Global Grenadier #1009
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I watched the first episode of 'The Last Overland' last night - really good viewing.

What I didn't realise was that the original Oxford & Cambridge exploration team began their London-Singapore trip at a pub in Belgravia in 1955.

Any guesses which pub?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I watched the first episode of 'The Last Overland' last night - really good viewing.

What I didn't realise was that the original Oxford & Cambridge exploration team began their London-Singapore trip at a pub in Belgravia in 1955.

Any guesses which pub?
It would be epic If the place was called The Grenadier!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Indeed, it was.
It makes me think that there's more to the story about Sir Jim conceiving the Ineos Grenadier in the same pub.
Coincidence? Doubtful I'd say.
It's a well known story (First Overland) that he probably read as a child, The Grenadier pub pic is in that book.
The Last Overland doco series is fabulous. So brave driving a '55 LR with no seatbelts , poor brakes , that steering - through heavy rain on crowded Asian city roads.

Steveo

Global Grenadier #1009
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's a well known story (First Overland) that he probably read as a child, The Grenadier pub pic is in that book.
The Last Overland doco series is fabulous. So brave driving a '55 LR with no seatbelts , poor brakes , that steering - through heavy rain on crowded Asian city roads.
I wonder who'll be the first to do the trip in a Grenadier?

Steveo

Global Grenadier #1009
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Loved the moment when they were using their tin mugs to catch the drips coming the roof in the torrential rain.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Loved the moment when they were using their tin mugs to catch the drips coming the roof in the torrential rain.
I don't have the sunroof but rain drips through the door tops , even with new seals...

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:29 PM
Reaction score
I don't have the sunroof but rain drips through the door tops , even with new seals...
I had a Ford Falcon AU as a company car years ago and driving from Melbourne to Sydney sitting on about 130kmh and rain started coming in through the top of the door
looked up and I could see daylight
Stopped at next Ford dealer because I thought the door was coming off and they said it was a known fault that the tops of the doors bent out at speed and that I should not be going that fast.
I wasn't aware I had to tick the waterproof option

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I had a Ford Falcon AU as a company car years ago
Good old Aussie build quality!
I have trouble shutting the bank vault door in my old 911 because it seals almost vacuum like.

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
Here are a few articles I've been reading online, not much to keep me from scratching the itch of a Grenadier being over a year out for North America. But they're entertaining reading and daydream fodder.
If anyone who has not been overlanding before, or even if you have but want a guided trip to hone your skills, one strong recommendation would be to join an outing/traning course with my buddy Bill Burke (https://bb4wa.com/). Bill was on one of the last "Real" Camel Trophy's, representing the US. He is probably one of the most experienced and knowledgable guys in the US about all things "off-road" and, because of that is in demand by companies and government agencies both here and overseas to train their people. He is also used by vehicle manufacturers to improve their products (currently, he has been helping Rivian since the beginning and now runs schools for Rivian owners wanting to know how to get the most of these beasts).
But when I first met him, in the '90s, he was (oh, and still is) a Landie guy, with both a classic Rangie and a 1994 D90. In fact, the suspension of my D90 is exactly a duplicate of his! Besides being the best instructor in all aspects of offroad (and he has a bunch of videos explaining how to get yourself out of trouble!) he is the coolest guy to hang with around the camp fire.
And (following the link to the Discussion of "tread lightly", I learned early from Bill that he is extremely strict on every aspect of this (including using WAG bags to collect your poop and carrying it out, rather than digging a hole! Also, what may seem just dirt in the high desert is a delicate biological crust, that you should not damage! (reference: https://www.fs.usda.gov/rmrs/dont-b...rving-and-restoring-important-desert-resource).....
Because he is a government licensed guide, he can also take you to areas that are not open to the general public! Attached a coupl'a pics of Bill leading a group of us from the Houston Land Rover Club, way back in 2005! We travelled from Fort Collins in Colorado way North well into Wyoming, off road all the way.

Attachments

• Are we dusty yet.jpg
    Are we dusty yet.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Hahns peak from Twin Mountain.jpg
    Hahns peak from Twin Mountain.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 18

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I learned early from Bill that he is extremely strict on every aspect of this (including using WAG bags to collect your poop and carrying it out, rather than digging a hole!
The right attitude , if not always doable or "palatable"
These guys did an epic Tasmanian wilderness trip and used PVC pipe to collect their poo and carry it out.
For the 9 days they waited for the weather to clear they hung their own poo bags in trees so they wouldn't get mixed up.

Back
Top Bottom