The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Non-OEM Tow Adaptor / Mount / Bar

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
9:13 AM
Reaction score
In the US you are allowed to modify your vehicle any way you want. The federal government puts limits on what manufacturers can do with vehicles (eg safety rules) and they have a federal rule that alll corporations must adhere to known as the "do not modify rule". But your own vehicle can be modded by yourself anyway you want.

States may have safety rules you must abide to, such as braking etc. Many do not but thats where the enforcement of rules sit. Oregon is famous for having almost no rules as to what modifications are legal.

This is my buddy's volvo. Converted to a SUT (mini-pickup) with homemade roof rack. Needed AC in the desert so got a window ac at the local walmart and welded it up on a shelf in the back window. A 110v generator runs the AC. Its colder than a butchers pantry in that car... Its pretty sketchy, held together with flashing metal for roofers and tape. That AC can fly off the car if it hits something make make some serious damage. Not to mention the homemade roof rack riveted to the sheetmetal roof. Sketchy...
20180713_142205.jpg

And this is my other friends lifted limousine. It required no registration or inspection in oregon. He got pulled over by highway patrol and they told him that his lights was too high and he was not having mud flaps. He fabbed the mudflaps out of sheet rubber and he made brackets for the headlights to drop down 5 feet from the housing. He still gets stopped by the police but they can't find anything to nail him on. In some ways i love america and its freedoms (i'm born in europe) but in other ways i also sometimes fear some of the things you can legally get away with here... :) Overall i love these freedoms - try to build a street legal 10-15ft tall limousine with offroad armor and tires and drive that on the highway in europe....
20190628_191202.jpg

Last edited:

IslandFalconer

Production/Transit
Local time
1:13 PM
Reaction score
This is what we're thinking for a simplified US version (that avoids the European plough). Let me know if anyone else is interested.

On the engineering point: the smartest Mechanical Engineer I've ever met is helping me design/build these. So it's not totally a garage solution.

View attachment 7851091
I’d take one, when can I order it!

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:13 PM
Reaction score
In the US you are allowed to modify your vehicle any way you want. The federal government puts limits on what manufacturers can do with vehicles (eg safety rules) and they have a federal rule that alll corporations must adhere to known as the "do not modify rule". But your own vehicle can be modded by yourself anyway you want.

States may have safety rules you must abide to, such as braking etc. Many do not but thats where the enforcement of rules sit. Oregon is famous for having almost no rules as to what modifications are legal.

This is my buddy's volvo. Converted to a SUT (mini-pickup) with homemade roof rack. Needed AC in the desert so got a window ac at the local walmart and welded it up on a shelf in the back window. A 110v generator runs the AC. Its colder than a butchers pantry in that car... Its pretty sketchy, held together with flashing metal for roofers and tape. That AC can fly off the car if it hits something make make some serious damage. Not to mention the homemade roof rack riveted to the sheetmetal roof. Sketchy...
View attachment 7854741

And this is my other friends lifted limousine. It required no registration or inspection in oregon. He got pulled over by highway patrol and they told him that his lights was too high and he was not having mud flaps. He fabbed the mudflaps out of sheet rubber and he made brackets for the headlights to drop down 5 feet from the housing. He still gets stopped by the police but they can't find anything to nail him on. In some ways i love america and its freedoms (i'm born in europe) but in other ways i also sometimes fear some of the things you can legally get away with here... :) Overall i love these freedoms - try to build a street legal 10-15ft tall limousine with offroad armor and tires and drive that on the highway in europe....
View attachment 7854742
You could build something similar in the UK, albeit subject to a £500 individual vehicle test which would require the tyres covered for example.
Some other European countries are very strict, for example in Spain absolutely zero mods are allowed unless available from the manufacturer. (Not even a roof rack, tyre size change or even a head unit upgrade)

Aussie Battler

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:13 AM
Reaction score
Not in Australia at least. The new rules will not let a boilermaker/certified weldor make a basic trailer without an engineering sign off. It is still possible to have one off tow connections made as long as it is engineered and welded to code.
As much as I dont like it I understand it , they are not protecting us from our selves but protecting others from incompotent diy ers how think they know every thing and in reality have no clue . I know there are competent people that would do a good job but how do yoe seperate the shit from the clay

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I think the danger to others are minor compared to danger to self. This is where insurance typically play. Law enforcement typically also have many tools at their disposal to control behaviors and modifications that are patently unsafe towards others.

Andy Cooke

Production/Transit
Local time
5:13 PM
Reaction score
I unfortunately didn't order the tow hitch as a factor mount and need the female portion of one for my bike rack. Is anyone else in a similar situation? I'm planning to manufacture a hitch and would be happy to make a couple, if there is interest.

View attachment 7850431
My understranding, as i also did not order my Grenadier with a Tow hitch is that there are three issues;
1. Yes, a Tow hitch with Ball or Ball & Pin can be fitted quite easily to the mounting plate found on the vehicle, but,
2. The Single electrics (13 pin in Europe and UK) - there is no easy or visible pick up/plug connector to capture the electrics for a Trailer board or lights
3. I have been told that vehicles that have the Tow Bars fitted by INEOS have a Trailor module programmed into the vehicle which takes into account a towed weight for the ABS system

I wish it was easier, but INEOS have made it hard as hell and due to low numbers of sold units, none of the Trailer fitting companies are interested in producing one for it.

IslandFalconer

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Just got a response from Ineos. Trailer Hitch received will be available shortly. Mine is actually on order. And they should have a solution for wiring as well in the following weeks/months. Not great but hey it’s better than nothing. For now my plan is this, I will install the Hitch and use the tekonsha trailer wiring kit. No cutting, no splicing.

MarkgreSC

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
12:13 PM
Reaction score
Just got a response from Ineos. Trailer Hitch received will be available shortly. Mine is actually on order. And they should have a solution for wiring as well in the following weeks/months. Not great but hey it’s better than nothing. For now my plan is this, I will install the Hitch and use the tekonsha trailer wiring kit. No cutting, no splicing.

Did that controller work? You still have to locate the "right wire" to snap each feed over, right?

MarkgreSC

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
You just need to get to the tail light harness. My truck won’t be in my possession till the 13. I can better sort that out once it’s here.
Hitch installed, 7blade female plug installed, progressed to getting the "wire" into back right corner of truck, stuck at this point as I can not locate feed wires in any loom. Dealer said they are under dash? LOL - but I have not taken dash out yet. Here is pic behind that back right side panel if that helps you any. If you find a cure ... please let me know. PS: take some ear plugs in 13 days as the speed alert clicking at 1mph over what it thinks is speed limit will drive you batshit crazy. (at least it did me). Aside from that and some other gremlins, one hell of an off roader.

Attachments

• tempImagedYGCkc.jpg
    tempImagedYGCkc.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 14

IslandFalconer

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Hitch installed, 7blade female plug installed, progressed to getting the "wire" into back right corner of truck, stuck at this point as I can not locate feed wires in any loom. Dealer said they are under dash? LOL - but I have not taken dash out yet. Here is pic behind that back right side panel if that helps you any. If you find a cure ... please let me know. PS: take some ear plugs in 13 days as the speed alert clicking at 1mph over what it thinks is speed limit will drive you batshit crazy. (at least it did me). Aside from that and some other gremlins, one hell of an off roader.
Can you not get to the back of the tail lamp?

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
3. I have been told that vehicles that have the Tow Bars fitted by INEOS have a Trailor module programmed into the vehicle which takes into account a towed weight for the ABS system

Ineos' trailering software does more than just modify the ABS system for braking. It also has trailer anti-sway features. Ineos produced an animated video illustrating the system s while back. It used to be on their website I think.

There's also this members solution:

MarkgreSC

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Can you not get to the back of the tail lamp?
Don't know. You can't (I can't anyway) get to the back of the taillight from the inside. Two wire looms heading back that way, but have very very thin wires and lots of them. I took the screws out of the back outside corner in attempt to get to taillight back side and noting seemed to get loose or budge and I was hesitant just to tug the heck out of big corner piece as its painted plastic and if done incorrectly, probably will crack. I'm assuming it has clips holding it in place, but didn't have the nerve to tug on it any harder than I did. Let me know if you get yours off, and procedure as that will help lots of us.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@MarkgreSC here's the how-to on getting the taillights out/off by @Jean Mercier

Aussie Battler

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:13 AM
Reaction score
Don't know. You can't (I can't anyway) get to the back of the taillight from the inside. Two wire looms heading back that way, but have very very thin wires and lots of them. I took the screws out of the back outside corner in attempt to get to taillight back side and noting seemed to get loose or budge and I was hesitant just to tug the heck out of big corner piece as its painted plastic and if done incorrectly, probably will crack. I'm assuming it has clips holding it in place, but didn't have the nerve to tug on it any harder than I did. Let me know if you get yours off, and procedure as that will help lots of us.

Back
Top Bottom