The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Mercedes G Wagon Build stop from Q1 2024

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:31 PM
Reaction score
I’ve never hit a bull, but came very very close once out near Quilpie. Not even ARB’s finest would have saved that from being catastrophic if I’d hit him.

Skippys can do enough damage, but a bull would be a life changer.
I just drove back from Glass House Mountains on the back road from Gympie to Maryborough.
3 large wild horses standing on the side of the road
Glad they decided to stay there eating grass

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:31 AM
Reaction score
I've just come out of the Mercedes dealer. I'm also interested in the G-wagon alongside the Grenadier. Unfortunately, I was disappointed.
The dealer clearly told me that sales of the G wagon (all models, including AMG) have been discontinued in Germany. When I asked, he added that "here in Germany we have the wrong government for the car. It's because of the V8 engine". There are still a few demonstration vehicles (but they don't appeal to me personally because of the equipment).
However, he added that I can still buy the G-wagon abroad (including the V8) - he explicitly mentioned Austria. Delivery time approx. 1 year.
A few weeks ago, I met two young women in Stuttgart, each with their new G wagons. They were lucky, as they had ordered just over a year ago. But they also liked the Grenadier. What luck for me. 😅

Last edited:

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:31 AM
Reaction score
@rovie and all.. today I had a chat with the JLR dealer. on my Disco Sport there is a little cover missing around the left windscreen wiper. Need to replace the entire cover.. around 350 Euros..
Told the guy I keep the Disco Sport, and told him also I purchased a Grenadier.. he said respect.. a proper Off-road vehicle which is alike the old defender and the Wolf. He told me he owns an used Wolf and he paid almost 40kEuros for a former Bundeswehr vehicle but in top and refurbished condition. A proper Wolf with little tinkering or a Original Defender in good condition also no tinkering is certainly difficult to find and in all cases no bargain. He was obviously not fond of electric vehicles and he said .. this is all political.. but that will change when people will recognize that BEV are no general purpose solution of mobility. The combustion engine will remain and perhaps get a renaissance but with different fuel. There are already a couple of efficient processes to produce fuel gas, petrol diesel etc e.g. by University of Chemnitz and other institutions but this is denied by governments because this would inhibit the transformation and reset of society.
So, BMW stops manufacturing of combustion engines.. but only in Germany.. Mercedes stops the G with combustion but only in Germany.. and the military G is even built in classic and with less exhaust cleaning.. What is this ? Who is the fool here?
In UK I read today from an Austrian TV AUF1 the UK has stopped an ad from Toyota promoting a new HiLux where a couple of vehicles are off road and produce a large trail of dust. This is suggested a behavior of adventure and environmentally unfriendly.. oh yeah.. we are getting educated and parented.
We decided to keep our 3 diesel vehicles as long as possible.. repair and ride em.. and hope for a wind of change to common sense

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
I've just come out of the Mercedes dealer. I'm also interested in the G-wagon alongside the Grenadier. Unfortunately, I was disappointed.
The dealer clearly told me that sales of the G wagon (all models, including AMG) have been discontinued in Germany. When I asked, he added that "here in Germany we have the wrong government for the car. It's because of the V8 engine". There are still a few demonstration vehicles (but they don't appeal to me personally because of the equipment).
However, he added that I can still buy the G-wagon abroad (including the V8) - he explicitly mentioned Austria. Delivery time approx. 1 year.
A few weeks ago, I met two young women in Stuttgart, each with their new G wagons. They were lucky, as they had ordered just over a year ago. But they also liked the Grenadier. What luck for me. 😅
Strange...AMG, the sports division of MB just released a G facelift with a revised V8.

AWo

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Strange...AMG, the sports division of MB just released a G facelift with a revised V8.

AWo
There might be a construction block...as with Landcruiser,
Or maybe just verboten in the country of manufacture?
Either way , each time we see one in Tasmania , we giggle a bit.

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There might be a construction block...as with Landcruiser,
Or maybe just verboten in the country of manufacture?
Either way , each time we see one in Tasmania , we giggle a bit.
I have noticed, particularly with black AMG (expensive) g wagons, that they seem to need to work their way through the traffic to pass me in the Grenadier, and they do so particularly quickly and loudly, as if to demonstrate an additional $300,000 worth of self importance. I hope it helps them feel good. It’s a nice enough car, if a long in the tooth design.

I suppose that could count as trolling…. best not tell any g-wagon owners😉

holdmybeer

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:31 AM
Reaction score
Yeah. We have a f**k ton of G Wagons in this town. The nod I'll always give the G Wagon, though, is to its fantastic exhaust sound. Even from factory. 💯
It’s a nice enough car, if a long in the tooth design.
What folks might say about my Grenadier as they pass me 20 years from now. :LOL:🤞

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have noticed, particularly with black AMG (expensive) g wagons, that they seem to need to work their way through the traffic to pass me in the Grenadier, and they do so particularly quickly and loudly, as if to demonstrate an additional $300,000 worth of self importance. I hope it helps them feel good. It’s a nice enough car, if a long in the tooth design.

I suppose that could count as trolling…. best not tell any g-wagon owners😉
Buy yourself a black beard and the G drivers will recognize you as one of them...
😬

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Buy yourself a black beard and the G drivers will recognize you as one of them...
😬
plus a few fake tattoos and sunnies.

BTW yesterday I read in a short article on n-tv.de Germany (in German) telling the G 500 gets "historic vehicle" H registry.
But there is also mentioned the AMG V8 will remain. - But the G now is definitely not anymore an off-road vehicle.
So it seems the combustion version will remain to be available in Germany too. - Bit confusing.

The real off road market in Germany on new vehicles is shared between Grenadier, Suzuki Jimny, Jeep Wrangler, Ford Bronco and perhaps Toyota LC thats it (not counting the so called pickups).
If we count overlanders only then its Grenadier, Bronco and LC.

Back
Top Bottom