The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Mercedes G Wagon Build stop from Q1 2024

denym_

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:23 AM
Reaction score
mhm bild.de there usually not that precise with details. I think the traditional G-class will be stopped and the AMG version will still be going. I guess its the market... the regular G-class became so expensive that it only catered to the high income/rich customers and those then anyways went for the AMG.

Barttraeger

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
11:23 AM
Reaction score
It doesn’t explicitly cover that but if the production line is stopped I can’t see how AMG variants can be produced either. Let’s see.

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
I checked more reliable magazines, dedicated for the automotive industry, nothing to find there. "BILD" is not known for high class journalism...but let's wait.

AWo

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I wrote before.. even "Bild" is not a reliable source.

Merceds Benz was considering to cease the G long ago for a couple of reasons. - It will be continued however for government use only.. The Rheinmetall Caracal (German Youtube Video) is also G Based. -

But it seems to be the end for civilian users and to me it is no surprise.
Safety regulation may be a reason and looking at the Grenadier European front bumper it could be one.
The other topic is going to electric only.

Still there is no answer from Mercedes Benz in to a smaller civil use utilitarian / commercial off road vehicle.
It seems not to become a topic of interest and so may be served by Toyota and Ineos only.

Mercedes Benz will - so it seems - adress only the luxury class demands. ( A smaller G electric for mall crawling)

To be frank. As the EU will cease new combustion engines soon.. the decision was due and expected by Mercedes Benz.
The topic is also why Ineos is hefty on the FC Grenadier and testing it.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
https://www.krone.at/3113423
Its in german but the gist is that bild&business insider were unprecise and the g-class will still exist. Would have been a surprise anyways since its prob quite a nice markup on them :)
Perhaps the new G will be hybrid .. and has a Grenadier style front bumper. and the cease means just the current and create a new MOPF. (MOPF means in German MOdell PF lege .. a significant model upgrade) Mercedes speak.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Why? The current G-Class fulfills all legal requirements due to pedestrian protection requirements.

AWo
That was a joke. should have put a twinkle smiley in. - However I do not know if next year are more mandatory pedestrian protection functions will be imposed that is the current G not complying to. The Grenadier must also get some capabilites in 24 model year.

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Yes, but not pedestrian related.

You speak German, right? Check the Kirschbaum-Verlag in Bonn. They wrote books and offer libraries regarding every aspect of car homologation, regulations etc. They are well known and produce their stuff for car manufacturers, tuner, workshops, parts manufacturers (aftermarket) and organizations like TÜV, DEKRA, etc. The authors are lawyers and engineers which take the regualtions and write them down in an understandable format. But you also get all regulations in pure format etc. from them as a searchable library. That is called "Was ist wie" and "FEE - Fahrzeugtechning & EWG/EU/ECE". If you have a subscription these gets updated on a regualar basis.

It is also explained how all these regulations, national, EU, UN, etc. come together and how they are related.

AWo

Last edited:

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, but not pedestrian related.

You speak German, right? Check the Kirschbaum-Verlag in Bonn. They wrote books and offer libraries regarding every aspect of car homologation, regulations etc. They are well known and produce their stuff for car manufacturers, tuner, workshops, parts manufacturers (aftermarket) and organizations like TÜV, DEKRA, etc. The authors are lawyers and engineers which take the regualtions and write them down in an understandable format. But you also get all regulations in pure format etc. from them as a searchable library. That is called "Was ist wie" and "FEE - Fahrzeugtechning & EWG/EU/ECE". If you have a subscription these gets updated on a regualar basis.

AWo
Thank you for this. - However although I grew up in a car / vehicle repair shop - I leave the mechanical works to my garage next door.
Simply no space and sufficient tools here. - An occasional lookup what EU imposes next however is something of interest for a layperson.
in 2018 I had a coffee chat with a Mercedes Benz manager at an annual meeting in Bremen. At that time I was already in search for a proper offroader.
- some background
At that time most of Grenadier was rumour and hearsay and little fact. - I was considering both a 4 door Jeep Wrangler with removable Hard-Top or an used military G offered by Phillip aus dem Hanfbachtal, and another option get one from a fellow hunter that had died - but the family called a price that was just ridiculous. So I decided to wait.
--
Back to topic: So he told me a bit about the G, but there are different political directions in the management. What way to go. So indeed Mercedes gets a good margin on the G - but also there are streams on optimizing, categorizing, etc. Will the G be future. He was definitely fond of the G - and he said for sure we do not as LR.. there is more demand on G as production capacity - and he said sell always at least one less than demand. And demand is high. But there is no interest in extending production rate. - But its unlikely will see a commercial civil G like vehicle by Mercedes Benz for an affordable price in the near future.

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:23 AM
Reaction score
View attachment 7826911

Had a crawl around this yesterday - military G - very nice.
Apparently there is a covered switch somewhere on the dash that silences all the electrical “nannies” and unleashes the engine to get you home . Even if it means welding it together . Cool concept i have to say .

Dont care what anyone says that thing is cool .

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:23 AM
Reaction score
Apparently there is a covered switch somewhere on the dash that silences all the electrical “nannies” and unleashes the engine to get you home . Even if it means welding it together . Cool concept i have to say .

Dont care what anyone says that thing is cool .
Yes it is - the rep was very sad when I showed him a picture of my Grenadier :) - but this vehicle is armour plated and really expensive!! Also very nicely done.

DDG

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
4:23 AM
Reaction score
I spoke to my local Mercedes dealer. I purchased a 2019 G550 through them in Dec 2018. It was the first wave of the new G. The G63 wasn’t produced in 2019 in any appreciable numbers. They started as a 2020 and stopped production unexpectedly in 2021. This (along with covid shutdowns and supply shortages everywhere) created the insane market for G wagens that is only recently easing a little since they resumed production in late 2022. And now they are indeed ending production of the internal combustion Gs. They will be releasing an EQG (or some other battery electric name) later in 2024. This is what I am told. They offered me more than I paid in trade in for my G550. I turned them down.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:23 PM
Reaction score
One bull be same as another at speed
I’ve never hit a bull, but came very very close once out near Quilpie. Not even ARB’s finest would have saved that from being catastrophic if I’d hit him.

Skippys can do enough damage, but a bull would be a life changer.

2wheelfish

Production/Transit
Forum Supporter
Local time
1:23 AM
Reaction score
That military one is cool, all the ones around here are like boxy track cars with bi-turbo engines. I see probably 30 of these a day. I’m not sure what all the rich housewives will drive if the G isn’t available.

Back
Top Bottom