The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Logsplitter’s travels in his Grenadier.

Local time
10:05 PM
Reaction score
Is Catsup, another word for ketchup aka tomato sauce in the UK.

A genuine question as I don’t know.

I see @Logsplitter has been out spotting the stone men, how many have you seen so far buddy ? I think there is just under 40 dotted around the area. 👍
Sorry for the confusion, it is the same. Catsup is an old fashioned spelling.

Last edited:

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion, it is the same. Catsup is some 1950s weird spelling. I realized that yesterday when I was in the UK imports store stocking up on Penguins. They had your Heinz Ketchup on the shelf.
Interestingly, Ketchup, Catsup traces its history to China, where it was called ge-thcup or koe-cheup, and was actually a fish sauce.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion, it is the same. Catsup is an old fashioned spelling.

Don’t apologise my friend, I find it interesting to see the various names and differences in language that we use from all over the globe.

Every day is a school day and today that I learnt that Catsup actually come from imperial China 😃 👍

Matt P

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:05 AM
Reaction score
There is a couple with child who are doing exactly that and can be followed on YouTube. No sponsorship from Ineos as far as I am aware.
Hello! We've got two kids, Jack 3 and Charlotte who's 1. We're also towing a Patriot X3 trailer which makes life interesting! :) We're also following Dave's journey closely and loving it! The Van Zyles Pass looks epic! We plan to spend a good deal of time in Africa.

Last edited:

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:05 AM
Reaction score
Hello! We've got two kids, Jack 3 and Charlotte who's 1. We're also towing a Patriot X3 trailer which makes life interesting! :) We're also following Dave's journey closely and loving it! We plan to spend a good deal of time in Africa.
Wishing you all every success and happiness. A lifetime experience that you have grasped and ran with. Well done. 👍

Matt P

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The times at Ineos de

A quick summary of the issue I’ve had that are in the thread somewhere.
Time at dealerships were all related to the transfer box cables and auxillary radiator fixings. I made other visits to both the Windhoek and Gabarone dealerships but that was for social reasons. Initially I had to have transfer box Bowden cable replaced in Gabarone as seized. Parts were shipped from Belgium all fixed along with some software updates. Over Christmas break I left Liberty with Ineos Kavango in Maun where they did the first service . Auxillary radiators fell out of their fixings on various occasions and held together with my fixings and final temp fix held for over a month on rough roads using very big cable ties and fencing wire.
After transfer box cable got stiff again I identified it had come out of its fixings again and rubbing on prop shaft. I did a temp fix with cable ties and wire on this also. So after about a month of travelling with these fixes I visited M&Z Ineos in Windhoek where they checked over the vehicle and ordered parts. A plan was made to come back in a week when parts would be there. I visited M&Z a week later where they did a belt and braces job of replacing and fixing transfer box cables and re fixing auxillary radiators inc new support brackets. I can attest that neither the transfer box cables or the auxillary rads will come loose again. They did a great job and did everything they could to get us back on the road as quickly as possible. A full software update was also carried out. No more error codes excepting for the occasional tyre pressure warning which I can live with.
The only issue I need to be rectified is the loose /sloppy coolant pipes which I have secured for now and M&Z could not fix at the time as needed new brackets and time to make. They confirmed my fix was good enough for now and has certainly held up so far and now over 23,000km in.
So on my return to the U.K. I’ll be looking at a full service and check over and any outstanding campaigns seen to.
So in summary so far I need coolant pipes fixings sorted, one door seal coming loose at bottom , front diff seal sweating/damp but not dripping , TPMs warnings sorted and I would like to get some spring lift spacers fitted to raise the vehicle. But I like the suspension set up as is so hopefully can keep current suspension set up and just add spacer blocks.
I also need to clean off underneath the vehicle and treat exposed metal areas. Nothing serious and to be expected given what I’ve been doing with the vehicle.
Throughout all this Ineos support in the U.K., Ineos Southern Africa and the dealerships have been fully supportive and trying to get us fixed and on our way as soon as possible . So hats off to them as one of the reasons I bought the Grenadier was the technical support and back up should I need it !
I’m ery confident I could go around the world in the Grenadier in standard spec. There’s lots of extras you could add to it but it’s super comfortable and capable as is. The one thing I would really like for overlanding is an auxiliary fuel tank and waiting to see what the aftermarket comes up with. If not I’ll live with Wavian explosion proof Jerry cans I have. !
Big plans ahead for us. And we trust Ineos will support us further if we need it.
We've just got some of these https://www.giantloopmoto.com/product/armadillo-bag-liquid-power-reservoir/ which along with a few jerries allows us to double our range but only when we need to. For the rest of the time they're in the boot, don't weigh anything and don't take up too much space. (y) To be clear though we haven't properly tested them but I'm confident they'll do the job for what we need.

Matt P

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Wishing you all every success and happiness. A lifetime experience that you have grasped and ran with. Well done. 👍
Thanks so much. We hit a Y-Junction and this just seemed like the best idea! (Not financially or career wise of course 😬)

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:05 PM
Reaction score
Those Armadillo bags have been discussed before. We noted the rider "Armadillo Bags are NOT intended for fuel storage or transport in the USA."
Do they violate any laws?

Matt P

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Those Armadillo bags have been discussed before. We noted the rider "Armadillo Bags are NOT intended for fuel storage or transport in the USA."
We're a long way from the US... so I guess it depends where you intend to use them.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
We can thank their legal counsel.

They're constructed from materials suitable for fuel storage but likely don't meet one or more requirements for certification as a storage container in the USA, hence the 'don't sue us if it fails' disclaimer.

"Although allowed usage depends on local laws, rules and regulations in the countries where Armadillo Bags are being used*, the materials themselves are compatible with hydrocarbon fuels, such as gasoline, diesel, kerosene and jet, as well as coolant, hydrocarbon based lubricants and other automotive and industrial fluids."

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
We're a long way from the US... so I guess it depends where you intend to use them.
The phrase "do your own research" springs to mind! Local laws can be tricky.
Probably get away with using then in Afghanistan etc.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's probably because they don't meet CARB requirements for fuel storage containers.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

AWo

Local time
4:05 AM
Reaction score
Hello @Logsplitter ,

is it possible that Ineos closely watches your journey? I saw IA posts in LinkedIn with pictures of your trip referencing to you as "@liberty.trails".

AWo

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hello @Logsplitter ,

is it possible that Ineos closely watches your journey? I saw IA posts in LinkedIn with pictures of your trip referencing to you as "@liberty.trails".

AWo
Yes my wife’s Instagram account is called liberty.trails We called the Grenadier Liberty. She hasn’t kept up with updating it though. This has prompted her to add more content to the Instagram account. If it helps spread the word of what a great overlanding vehicle the Grenadier is, then all good
For clarity one of the reasons we call the Grenadier “Liberty” is the fact the common name for the hallucinating magic mushroom in the U.K. is the Liberty Cap. . IMG_2595.jpeg

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
@Logsplitter, fancy calling your Grenny after a mushroom, that’s ridiculous. I just call mine the “Psilocybe”. 😃

Should I not ask why that name stood out and why you called your vehicle by that name ?

Interesting that IA are clearly following your travels. Hope they are still as interested if (god forbid) you have a breakdown during the rest of your journey. I would like to think so.

Back
Top Bottom