The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Logsplitter’s travels in his Grenadier.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:10 PM
Reaction score
Your trip looks amazing. Thank you for sharing your experience. It reminds me of my 6-month South American trip back in my 30s.
I agree, and we have something in common: I travelled as a "mochilero" during 18 months in South-America in my twenties, between end of 1983 and beginning 1985. I would like to do it again :)

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:10 AM
Reaction score
I agree, and we have something in common: I travelled as a "mochilero" during 18 months in South-America in my twenties, between end of 1983 and beginning 1985. I would like to do it again :)
For inspiration , check out the young couple on you tube: " Toyota World Runners".
Amazing journey , amazing filming

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:10 PM
Reaction score
The Himba people of the Kunene region
The old man was 96 and his youngest child was 11 😳. Three wives and countless children.
The boys plait their hair with one plait going backwards . The girls have plaits coming forward and some with backward plaits also. After puberty the girls have downward plaits with hair extensions and covered in mud the body then covered with mud, ochre and herbs.
View attachment 7847109View attachment 7847107View attachment 7847108
Some fantastic photo's of some beautiful people.

IG_LA

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:10 AM
Reaction score
When the world was nice and simple!

I ended up in Bolivia during this trip, Dakkar/Salt Flats to be exact!

IG_LA

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:10 AM
Reaction score
South America is on our radar in the Grenadier
What a trip to be had!

Don’t miss Dakar and the Bolivian vasts (don’t forget your oxygen canister), including the border of Chile and Bolivia where you can literally hop back and forth in the countries as there is no actual border line nor a gate.

Oh yeah, Peru and Argentina aren’t bad either.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
1:10 PM
Reaction score
Logsplitter, if it’s not too personal a question to ask, how much was it to ship your vehicle to Cape Town and how long does it take.

Or if the question needs to be rephrased, what ball park figure could I expect to pay for this service 😃

Yes I am seriously thinking of doing it, and it would be a one way trip !! 👍

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Logsplitter, if it’s not too personal a question to ask, how much was it to ship your vehicle to Cape Town and how long does it take.

Or if the question needs to be rephrased, what ball park figure could I expect to pay for this service 😃

I am not very sure, but I think he answered that question somewhere in July last year, but don't shoot the pianist (me) if my memory is wrong.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

€2300 or there abouts all in. Duncan at African Overlanders is your man. 👍🏼

Last edited:

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Van Zyles Pass.
So after leaving the Kunene river at Epupa falls we head south to Opuwo to stock up on fuel food and water. After an overnight in Opuwo we head out
I’ve been trying to persuade my wife that we should go over the Van Zyles Pass in Liberty the Grenadier on our way to the Kunene region and the Marienfluss. We went over the pass 14yrs ago in our old Hilux but that was in July after quite a few have been over the pass and rebuilt sections of it. This time I persuaded her that we should go via the pass, but as it turns out we were the first ones to attempt the pass since the recent rains earlier in February. To get to the Van Zyles Pass is a challenge in its self through a very remote sparsely populated region. Just what the Grenadier is made for. Supposedly the pass is only meant to be navigated from east to west. Although you will see on utube where idiots have attempted from west to east and some made it. This makes it very difficult if you meet traffic coming the other way and ruins the track Once your committed on this track there is no turning around. It’s not for the faint hearted and is a serious challenge with very steep declines , inclines and some challenging cambers that make you sweat a bit. Sections have to be relaid with rocks as you go to try and negate any serious undercarriage damage. Also you need a good spotter to give the driver direction as to where to place the wheels.
We camped half way along the pass at a viewpoint as was a long slow drive to get that far, but what a camp spot. After camping the night in this most beautiful region we attempted the steepest section that is seriously steep and with such a steep camber that it really is really nerve wracking. It is on this section you see the evidence of the vehicles that didn’t make it and rolled over the edge. My wife was out of the car at this point and would not get back in until this particular section was finished !
After reaching the valley below we stop and leave a sign on a stone at the bottom as is custom. Then we head north through the beautiful Marienfluss The first section of which is very difficult as the river has been flooding and washed out all tracks. Great fun though and the Grenadier is great fun to drive through this sort of terrain and very capable. Surprisingly no punctures although the tyres have taken a real beating on the stone and rock roads. 14 yrs ago I had three punctures in one day. !IMG_6132.jpegIMG_6153.jpeg
Namibia is truly a 4x4 drivers paradise with lots of amazing trails and regions to explore. IMG_6136.jpeg
I’ll add photos a few at a time as poor internet
IMG_6114.jpegIMG_6132.jpegIMG_6132.jpeg

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
People have asked why we would do this on our own and In a brand new vehicle. Quite simply that’s what we bought it for and we much prefer independent travel. Going in a convoy of vehicles with a tour leader ain’t our thing. We do make sure we are well prepared though. PHOTO-2024-03-01-19-04-21.jpegIMG_1491.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1492.jpeg
    IMG_1492.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 49

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks mate. It was great meeting you 👍🏼 although I don’t think it’s a good idea to drive up 😂

Barney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
in der Nähe von Frankfurt a. M. Deutschland
Hi, I enjoy reading your reports and I'm reserved with comments. But you two are really tough, courageous and full of joy for life. I have deep respect for your journey and take my hat off. Please continue to have a blessed safe journey. Fantastic photos! Thx.

Back
Top Bottom