The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Logsplitter’s travels in his Grenadier.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
10:50 PM
Reaction score
The photo of your vehicle against that valley is one for the Ineos marketing team. Just shows the scale of it all.

Loving the checker plate wing tops buddy.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:50 PM
Reaction score
It doesn’t show on

the petrol models only diesel as far as I’m aware
Mine is a diesel and it shows the oil temp. That is why I noticed it missing.

However, I have Australian firmware (at least the last two AU versions show oil temp). What details are diesel owners seeing in other countries?

Last edited:

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mine is a diesel and it shows the oil temp. That is why I noticed it missing.

However, I have Australian firmware (at least the last two AU versions show oil temp). What details are diesel owners seeing in other countries?
AFAIK, globally all diesels get oil temp shown... It was removed from the display on the gassers a while back

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:50 PM
Reaction score
BFG Tyres don’t like the heat.
I can’t air down too much for soft sand as they really over heat and get much hotter than this. When aired down to below 2bar for sand they’ve been upto 90c and I’ve had to find shade and stop to rest the vehicle to allow the tyres to cool in this extreme environment and heat. Temperature extremes don’t help. Check pressures when cool in the morning and I was 2 bar at the front and 2.5 bar on the rear. View attachment 7846361
Hmm… that’s a bit strange. We were running in 45-50C at ~1.4 bar without these temps @Logsplitter.

We did see temps climb up a bit on high speed gravel in similar ambient temps to what you have there, and ended up airing up to a bit less than what you’re running here. In our case this brought the temps down to low 60s.

Does it vary much with your speed?

Local time
4:50 AM
Reaction score
Looking at this tread, and after the honour of meeting Dave in person, all I can say is..."And INEOS sponsored Scott Brady...!!? :confused::confused: 😄😄
(PS. With all due respect to Scott!)

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:50 AM
Reaction score
Hmm… that’s a bit strange. We were running in 45-50C at ~1.4 bar without these temps @Logsplitter.

We did see temps climb up a bit on high speed gravel in similar ambient temps to what you have there, and ended up airing up to a bit less than what you’re running here. In our case this brought the temps down to low 60s.

Does it vary much with your speed?
When I had the overheating before I was at slow speed in very deep soft sand in Central Kalahari but very loaded with extra 100L of both petrol and water onboard. Driving fast on loose gravel with slightly deflated tyres also shows as overheating. Could be a software or tpms issue I suppose. Even with the higher pressures to allow for the overheating then I still manage to go everywhere without getting stuck so i will just stick to not airing down too much.

Last edited:

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is the most amazing journey and without doubt, Ineos should be over the moon, and willing to reflect that with some generosity thrown your way. Your reaction to the vehicle is very heartening.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Visiting the Mucubal people.
Whilst at flamingo camp we did a 430km round trip into the interior of this region to do some hiking in the hills that have many ancient cave paintings and to visit the Mucubal people who are a sub group of the Herero people of northern Namibia and southern Angola. A great day out in a very remote region and so interesting to see how these people live. A lady from the village took us hiking in the hills to see the cave paintings. This 50yr old ran up the hills like a goat in the plus 40c heat leaving us straggling behind. These are tough people to survive in this environment 😳 Note the very small stick and clay huts they sleep in. Not much bigger than a pizza ovenIMG_0944.jpeg and during inclement weather they cook in there as well. Quite amazing. IMG_0941.jpegIMG_0936.jpegDSCN6212.jpegDSCN6219.jpegDSCN6220.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0919.jpeg
    IMG_0919.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 58
  • DSCN6227.jpeg
    DSCN6227.jpeg
    677.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0935.jpeg
    IMG_0935.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 63

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Following on from visiting the Namibia region we were hoping to drive cross country via Iona NP to see more of the region but recent rains meant that many rivers were still in flood and some roads had been washed away We were advised not to visit this region at present because of the floods and bad road conditions. Because of this we decided to head back to the Namibia side of the Kunene river and visit more of the region from the Namibian side even though that region is a tough challenge to especially as the rains had been good in the whole regions meaning many ephemeral rivers had been running.
We traced our tracks heading back up the Leba Pass towards Lubango. Up those long winding switchbacks that have many mega slow Lorry’s going up the pass, is where that Petrol engine and ZF gearbox come into its own. Super powerful and quick for overtaking and great fun to drive . That would have been hard work on my shoulder and left knee changing gear in my 2014 defender. Driving the Grenadier is a breeze whatever the terrain. And just to add since the software updates no warnings or sounds. Everything going along like clock work.
Driving through Angola you still see reminders of the civil War with bullet holed buildings and rusting tanks and armored cars by the side of the road. It has to be said that everyone was very friendly and welcoming with no major hassle from police, other than being asked what have you got for me. To which my standard reply is I’ve got a smile and a handshake. IMG_5916.jpeg
Crossing back into Namibia was a breeze as we knew the routine on the Angolan side this time and the Namibia side is easy anyway.
Once crossed over the border we have a night in Oshikango before the really exiting and challenging part of our travels. 240221_144511_026_FH.jpeg

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just a couple more pictures from Angola of my wife discussing bra sizing with some ladies from the Mucubal tribe 🤔. The local version of bras looks damn uncomfortable to me !IMG_0920.jpegIMG_0922.jpeg

Last edited:

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Wait till you see what we’ve been doing recently. A true test of any 4x4 especially as we are very loaded. . All I will say for now is that the Grenadier is tough as old boots 😍
This is the most amazing journey and without doubt, Ineos should be over the moon, and willing to reflect that with some generosity thrown your way. Your reaction to the vehicle is very heartening.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Heading to the Kunene region.
From Oshikango we head west following along the Namibian northern border with Angola. The first part of the journey to Outapi where we filled with fuel was generally good tar road past Ruacana falls the road gets very bad as it’s a dirt road and heavy rains have washed out many sections. Some very steep ravines to traverse as we head along the 4x4 trails that follow the Kunene river.
As we head west into this remote region we see many small settlements of Himba people. All settlements are close to the Kunene river and the only visible vegetation is along its banks where the locals herd and graze their goats. Many children come running out when they hear a vehicle and wave as we go by. We were heading towards Epupa falls but after a long slow day driving we stop east of Epupa at a newly refurbished small camp called Camp Cornie. The sign saying cold beer attracted us, so we called in checked the cold plunge pool and cold beer and decided to stay for a couple of nights. Visiting the local Himba tribes people whilst there.
Our aim after visiting this region and eventually the Epupa falls was to carry on heading west to the Marienfluss region but we decided to head south after Epupa and go to Opuwo for an overnight stop, where we could stock up on fuel, food and water.
Grenadier going well. Still no warnings sounds or error warnings. All functions seem to be working as they should. The only function I haven't used since the software upgrade is the wading mode. All diff locks working as they should and hill hold being used quite a lot on some of these trails. IMG_5936.jpeg
IMG_5921.jpegIMG_5929.jpeg

IMG_5921.jpegIMG_1051.jpeg

Last edited:

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The Himba people of the Kunene region
The old man was 96 and his youngest child was 11 😳. Three wives and countless children.
The boys plait their hair with one plait going backwards . The girls have plaits coming forward and some with backward plaits also. After puberty the girls have downward plaits with hair extensions and covered in mud the body then covered with mud, ochre and herbs.
IMG_1099.jpegDSCN6482.jpegDSCN6405.jpeg

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
At some point, will you publish your overall route across Africa? It seems like you are picking the most amazing destinations.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
At some point, will you publish your overall route across Africa? It seems like you are picking the most amazing destinations.
Sure we can put a route and plan together for others to use as a reference for their own travels.
Might take a while but we will do that. 👍🏼

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Have you not been using the Grenadier Pathfinder system to drop breadcrumbs 😃

If I had a hairdo like that, I would be checking myself out in the mirror as well 😃

Back
Top Bottom