The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Leather steering wheel

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:21 PM
Reaction score
max- I was told that there is a leather oil to apply to saddle leather after cleaning rather that wax
Traditional natural products are a blend of lanolin and beeswax, neatsfoot oil or tallow. As a former horse owner preferred the wax for saddles/boots and latter oils for tack - noting the oils tend to smell a bit beefy and mark clothes.

The wax/lanolin stuff smells great and is easily applied with bare hands.

Must be endless ethyl methyl death leather upholstery alternatives out there though if we’re talking about the wheel. I could be just a mad old man but I reckon these products are slowly killing us so I’ll be going the old school solution noting that the Grenadier will smell a bit of wet sheep.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:21 PM
Reaction score
Who remembers this?

_d_u_dubbin_95.jpg

Reactions: @nd

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
7:21 AM
Reaction score
Remember it, I think Hoggs of Fife still sell it !

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Due to the fact you are all willing to Pay £600 for a fancy steering wheel, then you probably won’t mind paying for this stuff

Saphir Medaille D'Or Renovator Cream

it is one of the best creams for leather you can get (I await the, oh no it’s not comments). iIt won’t make your wheel sticky and will keep it supple and replace the oils that the leather will require from sitting in the sun. If you are Vegan and don’t like animal products you probably won’t t be having the saddle leather wheel in the first place but this does contain mink oil.

Always remember any of these products will almost certainly darken the leather when applied.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:21 PM
Reaction score
I am really curious about how those steering wheels will look in ten years. The black ones from nappa leather will be as we know them. It will be treated or coated against UV-rays in the factory as every normal car leather is.
But the people with the saddle leather will care for their babies as much as nobody cared for a steering wheel before 😀
Added to that everybody will have his own recipes how to clean and refat it the best.
Some will do a good job and some will fail (hopefully nobody from you guys)
So in ten years I would like to see the poster “IGs steering wheels from saddle leather”
like “doors of Ireland”
1661363171896.jpeg

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Thats a great collage!

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I get the impression that anyone who orders one of these wheels will look after it quite well. Even if they don’t, saddle leather is one tuff son of a gun (at you yanks say).

Even with minimal care and lots of miles, we won’t be seeing areas where leather dye has come out (there isn’t any), or thin worn through leather as it is nice and thick.

Hoever like you say, a collage of photos and the different patinas would be really interesting to see, along with the product used and a poll for the best looking wheel would be fun

@nd

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is what i use for leather slings and just restored a 120+year old bandoleer dating back to the Boar War that was so dried out i never thought it would ever come back from the dead(y)(y). Should be ok on a steering wheel.
998_018R.jpeg

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Dubbin worked fine on my football boots. Boots that copped filthy wet mud week in week out, the knocks from the ball and playing , plus the scrubbing with a bristle brush to remove the caked on mud.
I use Nivea on my 928 leather seats. It's real leather , not the veneer that exists on most modern cars.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just admit it...it looks bloody good - and will feel great!
My only wish , which will not be fulfilled , is that the rest of the interior be tan/bone coloured, not grey.
I find grey to be a very depressing colour.
I don't like all black or all gray or the jumbled up pattern on the standard seats. I went for the black & gray leather

Attachments

• Seats.png
    Seats.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 32

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
My choice as well. Not for the look, but black leather is too hot in summer.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You both have ordered the IG in grey or silver, right?
With the red I have chosen the bicolored seats do not fit in my opinion.
What do yo think?

Cavaleiro

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Adding to a previous post here, why I chose saddle leather and besides the visual contrast and the patina I like, it was the quality. I know the prototype is still a bit away from later production models, but the poorly leathered steering wheel here (see below in the lettering area) convinced me to invest in saddle leather, hoping then not to have a cover that would eventually slip.

Attachments

• EB4A4DE6-900C-4D0B-BE1D-EC34135FD4E2.jpeg
    EB4A4DE6-900C-4D0B-BE1D-EC34135FD4E2.jpeg
    380.2 KB · Views: 38

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
@bemax
If have chosen Donny Grey.

Bicolored or not is, aside from the heat question, IMHO a matter of taste. I am not the right one to judge about color combinations. Such things are my wifes competence.

But in my opinion, black an grey are quite neutral and should fit almost everything and the red as well.

This is however an opinion from a technician ...

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You both have ordered the IG in grey or silver, right?
With the red I have chosen the bicolored seats do not fit in my opinion.
What do yo think?
If you get tinted windows the interior and exterior are separated so the decision for me is standard seats or leather. If leather I prefer the black/grey as it lightens the cabin and as emax said is cooler to sit on. That red is going to look great with dark tinted windows.

Cavaleiro

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
@bemax
IMHO a matter of taste.

As so often a question of taste and that is fortunately as different as people are. Therefore, only my opinion: black / gray leather seats in combination with the brown saddle leather steering wheel is not coherent for me or too much contrast. Black and brown was at times considered a fashion sin but is again opportune.

Cars have become quite boring today, but it's nice that e.g. Porsche continues to make great, individual cars possible via manufacture, even in the 80s.

Picture attached shows a likewise the tastes splitting model of the 80s, no one would order today like that.

Okay, I also lack the courage to color the Grenadier but I was close to deciding for wine red or even green. But colors must fit the car, not every fits equally and some must be seen in the flesh for impression and that was not possible, ergo: donny gray.

Attachments

• 4B675A25-374D-4984-98C8-E93109B0F625.jpeg
    4B675A25-374D-4984-98C8-E93109B0F625.jpeg
    217.6 KB · Views: 32

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If you get tinted windows the interior and exterior are separated so the decision for me is standard seats or leather. If leather I prefer the black/grey as it lightens the cabin and as emax said is cooler to sit on. That red is going to look great with dark tinted windows.
1661412965990.png
Tinteted windows: ✅

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As so often a question of taste and that is fortunately as different as people are. Therefore, only my opinion: black / gray leather seats in combination with the brown saddle leather steering wheel is not coherent for me or too much contrast. Black and brown was at times considered a fashion sin but is again opportune.

Cars have become quite boring today, but it's nice that e.g. Porsche continues to make great, individual cars possible via manufacture, even in the 80s.

Picture attached shows a likewise the tastes splitting model of the 80s, no one would order today like that.

Okay, I also lack the courage to color the Grenadier but I was close to deciding for wine red or even green. But colors must fit the car, not every fits equally and some must be seen in the flesh for impression and that was not possible, ergo: donny gray.
To me it seems that Porsche sold quite a high percentage of the 944 and 968 with "interesting" colours like violet and aubergine (egg-fruit fot the US)

Back
Top Bottom