The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Leather steering wheel

Local time
11:00 PM
Reaction score
So glad that so many of you have touched on the saddle leather as an option for steering wheel and etc. I love the look and now learning that you should clean it every so often helps me with my decision to add this option to my build whenever pricing is available for the US.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
8:00 PM
Reaction score
The thickness of a steering wheel rim does effect the overall feel/sensation. May not be a consideration for you, but can be for others.
Just comparing them in the online catalogue they look like they have identical dimensions

17006352-6FD4-4C69-BFFB-A706C92494F0.jpeg

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
5:00 AM
Reaction score
Hm, yes. But it's all rendering: They just changes the texture, I guess.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:00 AM
Reaction score
Yes, those two wheels both appear to have the word "GRENADIER" embossed at the bottom, whilst I've only seen photos of it on the actual Nappa ones.

steering wheel IMG_3794-scaled.jpgsteering wheel 12.jpg

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
...agree DaveB....and the more you grip that wheel the more it will become personalised to you.

10,000miles/15,000 kms a year = at least 250 hours of driving time every year - rubbing in your patina
This one looks quite personalised already:IMG_20220823_183017.jpg
Just pretend whichever one you order is the only option you had.
Taking your advice, I've optioned this one:

Screenshot_20220503_064247.jpg

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
5:00 AM
Reaction score
That's the Florence Griffith Joyner Edition.

index.jpeg

Clunster

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
I'd ask our local cobbler. He's always happy to get some work which takes real craftsmanship - instead of gluing plastic parts together ...

Another idea is a saddler. We have some in our region as there are quite some studs around here. For £600+ they will happily help you - and you'd have a free choice of material and color, let alone an own heraldic logo - if you want ... ;-)

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:00 PM
Reaction score
This one looks quite personalised already:View attachment 7792428

Taking your advice, I've optioned this one:

View attachment 7792429
Personally I don't like the little holes in the black one. Once something gets in there it will be a nightmare to get it out. If COVID has taught us anything it is to make sure whatever you touch is clean and smooth surfaces are easier to clean than porous ones.

Clunster

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Personally I don't like the little holes in the black one. Once something gets in there it will be a nightmare to get it out. If COVID has taught us anything it is to make sure whatever you touch is clean and smooth surfaces are easier to clean than porous ones.
Maybe get yourself an extra pair of seat covers so you don't get the monkeypox

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe get yourself an extra pair of seat covers so you don't get the monkeypox
Some years ago the guys from The Grand Tour (Top Gear) purchased some used vehicles for a challenge in the US. They had the steering wheels swabbed for cleanliness and what they came up with was pretty damn disgusting. This was long before COVID or Monkey pox. Pretty much every body fluid and semi fluid,. Most food groups and things that had no right being in a vehicle.

Clunster

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Some years ago the guys from The Grand Tour (Top Gear) purchased some used vehicles for a challenge in the US. They had the steering wheels swabbed for cleanliness and what they came up with was pretty damn disgusting. This was long before COVID or Monkey pox. Pretty much every body fluid and semi fluid,. Most food groups and things that had no right being in a vehicle

Some years ago the guys from The Grand Tour (Top Gear) purchased some used vehicles for a challenge in the US. They had the steering wheels swabbed for cleanliness and what they came up with was pretty damn disgusting. This was long before COVID or Monkey pox. Pretty much every body fluid and semi fluid,. Most food groups and things that had no right being in a vehicle.
Every square centimetre of your fingers contains thousands of bacteria and viruses, some harmful, some not. They have been around for millions of years longer than we have and are why we have an immune system and exposure to them is how we maintain that system. If you want to manage your exposure to bugs there are better places to start than holes in your steering wheel. Good luck.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Every square centimetre of your fingers contains thousands of bacteria and viruses, some harmful, some not. They have been around for millions of years longer than we have and are why we have an immune system and exposure to them is how we maintain that system. If you want to manage your exposure to bugs there are better places to start than holes in your steering wheel. Good luck.
A large part of my work is dealing with/visiting waste water treatment plants. I am visiting two next week and one this week.
If you can smell it you just breathed it in.
Use the handrails when climbing stairs or ladders and your hands are coated in it.
Shake hands with a smoker and my hands smell of smoke.
I try to clean my hands before I get in my car so i don't transfer all that onto the steering wheel, gear stick etc.

I change my boots as well.

Just trying to make sure that when we get in the car to go out to a restaurant or something I am not starting off with E.coli or hepatitis

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Over many years of riding, mustering whilst sitting in a saddle and wearing RM Williams boots here in Australia, you are taught how to look after your equipment. Saddles and some boots share the same animal leather needing the same upkeep, they dry out in our sun, dust and rain and need to be conditioned using specific leather oils. Not suggesting the Grenadier steering wheel will suffer such elements but they will suffer the same sun, sweat and dirt from hands and will deserve a good wipe down and recondition. I will be inquiring about what the leather is impregnated with before I start refurbishment. My equipment including yard and bullwhips are dressed with a UK product Hydrophane Leather Dressing and waterproofing, the equipment can be wipe down with cold water to remove mud and sweat, wipe off excess moisture with a clean before redressing. Hoping I will be able to use the same and create my Patina. I have some work boots in their thirties and a pair of RM's dress boots now twenty two looking new and never polished just conditioned with saddle dressing.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
max- I was told that there is a leather oil to apply to saddle leather after cleaning rather that wax

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
max- I was told that there is a leather oil to apply to saddle leather after cleaning rather that wax
The product I mention is an oil base liquid and so are most of the leather conditioning products but some can appear to be wax because they are in a solid form and free up as you work them in. As I said, I will try and find out what the Grenadier saddle leather is treated with before I apply anything...cheers.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If you want to manage your exposure to bugs there are better places to start than holes in your steering wheel. Good luck.
I was thinking that was a good example of man maths in action ~ got to justify the large uplift cost somehow. 😜

Although, I'd imagine there are far more holes (pores) in the untreated leather version than in any version that has been sealed.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Bugger, I think after reading this thread I've spent another £600.

I'm going to have to sell a few more 'Air Guitar + Case" on ebay at this rate!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Just admit it...it looks bloody good - and will feel great!
My only wish , which will not be fulfilled , is that the rest of the interior be tan/bone coloured, not grey.
I find grey to be a very depressing colour.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
At least your sky not grey like the UK most of the time. Look out rather than in and all will be 'fine'.

Back
Top Bottom