The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Leather steering wheel

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:30 AM
Reaction score
I must admit I had dismissed the saddle leather option as a gimmick but learning from this conversation I think I'm sold on it being a good option.

Thanks sharing your insights!
I didn't select it but also think I may add it when it comes time to confirm the order. Should have sold my house by then so hopefully the extra $1,000 won't be a concern

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In one of his early interviews, the designer Toby Ecuyer explained that that the expected ageing patina on the saddle leather steering wheel cover was a design feature "...to age with the vehicle..." he referred to it as "...a living surface..." what a great description for stuff that wears out over time...!! I haven't had a chance to use that line as yet:rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
In one of his early interviews, the designer Toby Ecuyer explained that that the expected ageing patina on the saddle leather steering wheel cover was a design feature "...to age with the vehicle..." he referred to it as "...a living surface..." what a great description for stuff that wears out over time...!! I haven't had a chance to use that line as yet:rolleyes::ROFLMAO:
It doesn't wear out. It wears in

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
...agree DaveB....and the more you grip that wheel the more it will become personalised to you.

10,000miles/15,000 kms a year = at least 250 hours of driving time every year - rubbing in your patina

Local time
1:30 AM
Reaction score
....and if the saddle leather covering your steering is somehow destroyed (and unlikely not because of hands on wear) after a few years then, you get it replaced with the leather of your choice by a reputable auto trimmer of which there are many in every large city!
Is it easier to replace the saddle leather than the Nappa leather?

I'm with CheJ (post#19) - I was leaning away from the saddle leather, and now I'm leaning toward it.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

I'm with CheJ (post#19) - I was leaning away from the saddle leather, and now I'm leaning toward it.
see Ineos doesn't need a sales team. we are selling upgrades to each other for them.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
But Aristotle didn't install puddle lights, because of the old dorks who actually sat on those stools :p

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Not sure but given saddle leather is much thicker and less soft it may be more work but presumably not an issue for an expert trimmer

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not sure but given saddle leather is much thicker and less soft it may be more work but presumably not an issue for an expert trimmer
Provided it gets a clean occasionally and some leather conditioner then it should last 30 years. In fact I think you are more likely to look after it better than a nappa leather steering wheel.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The thickness of a steering wheel rim does effect the overall feel/sensation. May not be a consideration for you, but can be for others.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The thickness of a steering wheel rim does effect the overall feel/sensation. May not be a consideration for you, but can be for others.
Most manufacturers provide a steering wheel without a choice and you just have to suck it up. Just pretend whichever one you order is the only option you had.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Older cars such as Porsches came with proper leather steering wheels. The sun/heat eventually kills them , but sun blinds and leather care will arrest the decline.
It will last a lot longer than nappy leather. My '78 911 SW is as good as new.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Most manufacturers provide a steering wheel without a choice and you just have to suck it up. Just pretend whichever one you order is the only option you had.
Thank you.

I posed the question as others might not have considered it, or indeed had, asked the question and had it answered. Others might have been along to a tour and actually measured...

Clunster

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Can anyone explain the difference between the leather used for the standard steering wheel and the saddle leather one ?? I like the reddish brown colour but not sure if I can justify the £600+ Price tag
Thanks
I have made and restored a few steering wheel covers for old cars in saddle and thicker tooling leathers. If you want to save a few quid it's a fun little project that can be done easily with a few cheap hand tools and a tenner's worth of leather, there are a few YouTube videos around to show you the basics.
Can anyone explain the difference between the leather used for the standard steering wheel and the saddle leather one ?? I like the reddish brown colour but not sure if I can justify the £600+ Price tag
Thanks

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
2:30 AM
Reaction score
I'd ask our local cobbler. He's always happy to get some work which takes real craftsmanship - instead of gluing plastic parts together ...

Another idea is a saddler. We have some in our region as there are quite some studs around here. For £600+ they will happily help you - and you'd have a free choice of material and color, let alone an own heraldic logo - if you want ... ;-)

Back
Top Bottom