The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Key battery empty

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
2:11 AM
Reaction score
Interesting: The car apparently receives information about the battery status from the key.

What else is exchanged when unlocking the car? It would be interesting to see if it is actually possible to start the car with a weak battery.

To test it, the battery should be removed from the key. Does anyone know how to do this?

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
On the other hand, the key should function even without batteries in the old fashioned mechanical way, therefore I don't want to carry a spare, and sure not IN the car.
If it worked mechanically (to open the door) you could well keep your spare in the car.

Last edited:

NoAge Hunter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting: The car apparently receives information about the battery status from the key.

What else is exchanged when unlocking the car? It would be interesting to see if it is actually possible to start the car with a weak battery.

To test it, the battery should be removed from the key. Does anyone know how to do this?

Fab

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I've popped the back of the key off with a screwdriver and removed the battery.
The car starts and drives as always.
Also no message on the screen.

Attachments

• IMG_2841.jpeg
    IMG_2841.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:

NoAge Hunter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Knowing how to remove the battery? This is rather simple. Put a screwdriver or something similar in this hole (see red arrow) and turn it to open the key. Than you will see the battery.
I've popped the back of the key off with a screwdriver and removed the battery.
The car starts and drives as always.
Also no message on the screen.
That is fascinating! How can the system telling that the „battery is close to be empty“ but not detect, that there is not even a battery? 😂😂

I tested as well and fan confirm, car starts normal without the battery.

Next tests is to make a copy of the key without any electronic inside and see, if than the immobilizer react or not.
Will try it next week.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:11 AM
Reaction score
Well in the case of my LR that key fob is like $1200
Well on a positive note , it'd be more if you chose the Swarovski enhanced version , which I'm sure a few Floridans flash at the golf club ;)

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ok, but if the alarm is armed, how can you switch off it?

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
ok so without the remote control with just the key does opening the door disarm the immobilizer?

hope not otherwise it would be child's play to steal it

Fab

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Only for you, of course, I'll try tomorrow.
The neighbours are 200 mtr. away, and used to funny noises coming from our place 😎
I will try by rocking the car.
If I lock the dogs in, they can do whatever they like, without starting the alarm, so that doesn’t help.
Any suggestions on how to start the alarm otherwise?

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:11 AM
Reaction score
Only for you, of course, I'll try tomorrow.
The neighbours are 200 mtr. away, and used to funny noises coming from our place 😎
I will try by rocking the car.
If I lock the dogs in, they can do whatever they like, without starting the alarm, so that doesn’t help.
Any suggestions on how to start the alarm otherwise?
I set my alarm off by jacking the vehicle up when locked 👍🏼

Fab

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have not been able to trigger the alarm.
Not by rocking, nor by locking the dogs in and holding the neighbours cat at the window.
And I'm not going to jack up the car to trigger the alarm.
Maybe I need a software update, mine is still from the beginning of WWII.
The panic button works though.

Have a nice weekend, Fabio

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I don't understand, if simply by picking the lock on the door and the key block inside you have to start the car, what is the immobilizer for?

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:11 AM
Reaction score
I have not been able to trigger the alarm.
Not by rocking, nor by locking the dogs in and holding the neighbours cat at the window.
And I'm not going to jack up the car to trigger the alarm.
Maybe I need a software update, mine is still from the beginning of WWII.
The panic button works though.

Have a nice weekend, Fabio
No cats were harmed in the making of this experiment 🐱

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:11 PM
Reaction score
I don't understand, if simply by picking the lock on the door and the key block inside you have to start the car, what is the immobilizer for?
The battery in the key fob isn’t required to drive but that doesn’t mean the key itself isn’t a programmed key. My Fords/chevy/gmc’s in years past had a small chip in the key. That chip is separate and send signal to the engine to start when inserted.

LWA55DAL

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:11 PM
Reaction score
In my general experience - all of the recent keys are what are referred to as “transponder” keys so they have a chip in them and it generally not dependent on the remote battery. With actual key applications the battery can be completely dead and the car will start because the chip/transponder is close enough to the ignition to recognize the key. In keyless applications even when the battery is dead in the remote you can also start the vehicle, but the key has to by physically close the button to pick up the chip/transponder. I am working to track down the key manufacturer in hopes of getting just a key with the chip/transponder so I have same spare keys for the vehicle. The rumor is that the key is the same key used in a Peugeot and if that is the case - then there are options that don’t require the buttons or the remote and you should be able to open the doors and start the car.

Back
Top Bottom