The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Internal platform

Local time
10:11 PM
Reaction score
Is the big fella seven foot tall?
I wish he was! Ineos says that the load space behind the first row of seats is 70 inches, so he is probably between 5' 10" and 6' 1".

I really hope they make a long wheel-base wagon, and that it has 84 inches (7 feet) of flat load space behind the front seats. That's my perfect rig, though I'd like one of each (115 and 127 wheelbase).

P.S. I knew you were just taking the piss / joshing / kidding / scherzhaft - depending on your nationality 😁

Greg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:11 AM
Reaction score
AdiThorny... more space. A prep area away from the stove. I love the fold down tables but if i am going to be mounting a fridge, why not take advantage of the opportunity to add more surface area.
With the tables able to be slide out independently, you can just slide the stove one out to brew up a cuppa as required, same convenience as a fold down.

AdiThorny

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
AdiThorny... more space. A prep area away from the stove. I love the fold down tables but if i am going to be mounting a fridge, why not take advantage of the opportunity to add more surface area.
With the tables able to be slide out independently, you can just slide the stove one out to brew up a cuppa as required, same convenience as a fold down.
Aha - fridge on a slider is a must. Therefore, little extra to extend the surface area. Got it. Thanks.

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:11 AM
Reaction score
If Ineos have made it possible, it might be easier to just remove the 2nd row seats altogether?

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If Ineos have made it possible, it might be easier to just remove the 2nd row seats altogether?
Caveat - info is from prototype so could potentially change.

The seating holes are pre-drilled for both 5 seat variants in every Grenadier so in theory nothing stopping you from moving the seats backwards and forwards on the two mounting points or removing them entireley. Obviously this is not a quick task so if you do need more than two seats fairly regularly the inconvenience could outweigh the benefits.

In some jurisdictions if a vehicle is registered with 5 seats the expectation is that it has five seats and the rear seats not being fitted makes it "unroadworthy" - if you have the misfortune of being in one of those places then there's that to factor in as well.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
and the additional battery set-up under the seat cushions may (will) impact ability to remove rear seats as required

OGrid

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The 2 seat wagon has a flat load space behind the drivers seat, if I recall correctly.

Local time
5:11 PM
Reaction score
It would be really great if they would offer a plug for the 5 seat so you could remove the seats and make it all flat wiht like a flip up plug or something

Local time
Reaction score
I'll probably order the 2-seater for the flat floor, extra space, and - I would guess - a slight increase in the vehicle's payload. I suppose a downside is that it would hurt resale (I'm sure more people want the second row of seats).

But look at those wheel arches in the photo above; not only are they sloped (as previously discussed on the forum) but the the left arch is different than the right arch - perhaps creating more difficulty in building a shelf, or with loading the vehicle in general. I hope Ineos has addressed this as they transition from prototype to production.

WhiteBear

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:11 PM
Reaction score
I'll probably order the 2-seater for the flat floor, extra space, and - I would guess - a slight increase in the vehicle's payload. I suppose a downside is that it would hurt resale (I'm sure more people want the second row of seats)...

The Ineos drivers told me at the event that the second row will later be sold separately and can be installed in the 2-seater by the owner. That was in April.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'll probably order the 2-seater for the flat floor, extra space, and - I would guess - a slight increase in the vehicle's payload. I suppose a downside is that it would hurt resale (I'm sure more people want the second row of seats).

But look at those wheel arches in the photo above; not only are they sloped (as previously discussed on the forum) but the the left arch is different than the right arch - perhaps creating more difficulty in building a shelf, or with loading the vehicle in general. I hope Ineos has addressed this as they transition from prototype to production.

Here you can see why the wheel arches are different. I do not belive neither that the will change The fuel inlet nor that they make the left wheel arch bigger without any reason just to make the the same heigth

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Though the current shapes might be a bit annoying, they are IMHO not a real problem.

I'd simply facade them with some square wooden panels. The space between the panels and the wheel arches is not necessarily wasted: you can stow soft stuff there, e.g. a sleeping bag, some ropes, rags, whatever. Or make it a secret cabinet for emergency money or documents.

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Funny, when I saw the prototype the first time this weekend, a tray system was the first thing I thought about. Lack of lockable storage in SUVs is an issue.

What I think would be interesting is if we as a community could design or at least give ideas for what would work well. I think we’ll have to wait until the final version is out for correct dimensions.

I’ve had SUVs, but never a dedicated drawer system. Not done much camping yet. As a design philosophy, what is best put into a space like this? Or does it depend on the use?

For general use two drawers? For overlanding something else? With all the potential storage on top of this space, on the roof itself, maybe even a bit on the side mounts, and of course a trailer attachement option— what is the most optimal use of the different spaces?

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think the most optimal type of storage for a 4x4 that fits your needs will be very bespoke & probably depends on multiple factors: e.g. what you are using the car for, where are you going, for how long, how much (and the type) of stuff you wish to take along etc.

For example, will you be using the IG essentially as vehicle to get to a single remote destination where which you then set-up a camp or go exploring for a few days whilst the car stays in that location or are you going to use the IG as your "home" over an extended period, constantly moving about from place to place.

Moreover, are you a minimalist sort of adventure person that gets pleasure from traveling super light with the bare minimum of things or do you need to take lots of stuff and many "creature comforts" on your travels.

I think the storage requirements will differ greatly but maybe then the best solution might be one that allows you to have a "base storage system" that you can add on additional storage components.

Personally, I envisage using the IG in multiple roles: across the suburbs of our busy city to collect stuff in my open trailer, driving with the family to our beach house for the weekend, a 2 day fishing trip along the coast, getting me to the start of a 2/3 days hiking trip with some buddies in a fairly remote mountain location or towing a camping trailer for a 10 day expedition across 5 different location. Each will have vastly different storage needs.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Funny, when I saw the prototype the first time this weekend, a tray system was the first thing I thought about. Lack of lockable storage in SUVs is an issue.

What I think would be interesting is if we as a community could design or at least give ideas for what would work well. I think we’ll have to wait until the final version is out for correct dimensions.

I’ve had SUVs, but never a dedicated drawer system. Not done much camping yet. As a design philosophy, what is best put into a space like this? Or does it depend on the use?

For general use two drawers? For overlanding something else? With all the potential storage on top of this space, on the roof itself, maybe even a bit on the side mounts, and of course a trailer attachement option— what is the most optimal use of the different spaces?
When overloading internationally, we installed lockable drawers from Frontrunner.

On a global trip one needs to carry clothing and equipment for four seasons, which takes up some space and is easiest stored on a platform separated from camping and recovery stuff that you might want to easily access (morning cuppa etc).

The locks in particular are helpful when, for instance, using a RORO service on routes prone to pilfering; maintaining control of the inspection process at land borders; and just offering a measure of confidence that you're protected from a smash & grab attempt on your parked vehicle.

At 72kg though they are more weight than one would want if they weren't earning their keep. I'll be recycling these for installation on the Grenadier.

For house-on-wheels types overlanding (/overloading? :)) locally, it can depend if you're a short stay/leave the vehicle loaded/sleep on the roof vs a long stay/establish a camp style camper. This also often predicts if/size of fridge carried, which is a major factor here on design of drawer systems. Even something as simple as the height of the user is a factor, friends have prioritised keeping the fridge installation as low as possible to ensure it can be accessed by the kids etc. Also worth noting the drawers, or more accurately the cabinet, provide handy panels to install electrical systems, water pumps, compressors etc.

After trying a bunch of approaches our preference has evolved to travelling as light as practicable, YMMV. Could be fit out is a hobby all of it's own.

Last edited:

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think we’ll have to wait until the final version is out for correct dimensions.
Might be worth noting that vehicles in this class (eg with potential commercial use) have a loadspace designed around the EUR-pallet footprint, so pre-fab drawers can be relatively standardised. In our case, we know the 2-seater permits the full 800 x 1200 pallet, the 5-seater not.

So fundamentally several options (eg for G-Wagen, Defender, Land Cruiser etc) will fit for width but will require to be checked for length for the 5-door, and adjusted for IG wheel arch profiles and rear door aperture. It won't take the after market long to offer solutions, or alternatively it's an easy fab job for DIY.

Local time
Reaction score
The Ineos drivers told me at the event that the second row will later be sold separately and can be installed in the 2-seater by the owner. That was in April.
This is very interesting! That might allow a 4-seat configuration like in the G-Wagon Professional/Greenliner (military version).

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I think we’ll have to wait until the final version is out for correct dimensions.
These figures are for the Aussie Grenadiers …

Attachments

• 4E0917D9-AFBF-45D6-A4AF-2973E6A72C8F.png
    4E0917D9-AFBF-45D6-A4AF-2973E6A72C8F.png
    770.9 KB · Views: 37

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Hm, this table says, that
  • the maximum luggage length behind the 1st Row is 13 centimeters more in the Station Wagon than in the Utility.
  • the floor length behind the the 1st Row is 11 centimeters more in the Station Wagon than in the Utility.
🤔 ?

Back
Top Bottom