The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Internal platform

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:53 PM
Reaction score
When the second seat row is folded down it still remains some 200mm above the level of the floor behind the seats.

I am researching the building of a bespoke storage units behind the second seat row to the back doors - that would allow a lot of easily accessible space/a fridge/water tank etc but also make the entire rear area the same level to potential allowing sleeping.

I am thinking this storage system, that would include slide out drawers, may need to be quickly demountable (removeable) as well.

Two questions:
Has anyone, at this early stage, any thoughts or ideas on doing this, and;
Am I correct in thinking that when the rear seats are folded down they are NOT actually level but remain on a slope. If so, this may make the objective of a completely flat sleeping area not possible/practicable.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:53 AM
Reaction score
Answer to your first question: I'm hoping there will be a way utilise the interior utility rail, or even just the four fixed tie down points. Mount studs and then use to locate drawer in correct position. Adding nuts will be the issue. Either drawer comes out and you can reach to the inner studs to tighten, or the top floor of the drawers is removable, or there's access holes in it.

Answer to your second question: I've seen photos showing it flat and sloped. However, even with the sloped one it just seems it needs a little weight on top (such as a prone person) to make it flat.

FB_IMG_1661600496651.jpgScreenshot_20220506_071041.jpgFB_IMG_1643968221110.jpgFB_IMG_1643968227310.jpg

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:53 AM
Reaction score
Answer to your first question: I'm hoping there will be a way utilise the interior utility rail, or even just the four fixed tie down points. Mount studs and then use to locate drawer in correct position. Adding nuts will be the issue. Either drawer comes out and you can reach to the inner studs to tighten, or the top floor of the drawers is removable, or there's access holes in it.

Answer to your second question: I've seen photos showing it flat and sloped. However, even with the sloped one it just seems it needs a little weight on top (such as a prone person) to make it flat.

View attachment 7792515View attachment 7792516View attachment 7792517View attachment 7792518
That looks really comfortable🥴

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks DCPU.

I had not seen a photo of the seats totally flat, only on a slope. That issue solved then.

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7792515View attachment 7792516View attachment 7792517View attachment 7792518
Is the big fella seven foot tall?

Greg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have been looking at this with the view to doing a permanent install of a drawer fridge with two slide out tables underneath on the right hand side. The top of this being just above the intruding wheel arch as half of the sleeping platform, with a demountable front half that can be bolted on over the folded down rear seat for weekend trips away.
(The first slide out table being kitchen work surface backing on to the large rear door, and the second table sliding out from there past the door to have the gas stove on with fold down supporting legs. There are plenty of people who already make these with proper bench tops and wind shield for the stove that may suit, or just make your own)

Being only half the load space width (I don't need the width for sleeping, just the length) it still makes rest of the space available to use all the other times.

The biggest problem is the length available.
With the base of the back seat flipped up behind the front seats you lose what looks like 6 inches of what is already too short length for sleeping.

I have seen some data posted on this forum that shows the floor length behind the front seats as 70.6 inches which is almost long enough BUT max luggage length as 64.7 inches which probably takes into account the angle of the front seats. The higher the platform, the short the length available. It doesn't say if that includes the thickness of the back seat base when flipped up.
Maybe the rear seat base is removable instead of flipping up which would allow for a drop in foot well water tank.

I guess I will have to wait until I can see one in the flesh and take some measurements myself, but a small permanent install seems plausible bolted down to the utility rail as DCPU said.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
9:53 AM
Reaction score
This are some interesting considerations, I am thinking about it as well.

Do you have some rough sketches of your ideas? It's a bit difficult to get a picture.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
3:53 AM
Reaction score
Just thought I would throw in my two pence worth here. When I recently saw the latest iteration of the IG which is supposed to be the closest to the production model I thought that the step between the drop seats and rear luggage floor seemed a lot less that I had seen in a prototype vehicle I saw last year. I actually commented on it because it is one of the “annoyances“ I have with the design.

a vehicle like this should have had a flat load space imo.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks Greg.

If I understand you correctly, your initial plan is to use only half (right side) of the total available rear area/space, (which includes the area over the folded rear seats), to develop the compartments (drawers) containing a fridge system, then underneath the fridge, two slide out tables containing a work area and then a cooking area.

When all folded back into the car, the entire unit forms the base for a single bed.

The other (left) side of the car remains as is - I assume to carry all luggage etc.

Then, that part of the shelving system that extends over the folded rear seats, ( I assume around 30% of the total length), can be unlatched and removed from the car to allow you to use the rear seats.

Greg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
no drawings as i don't have sizes yet, but...
about 500mm at base wide to fit 30l drawer fridge - the top is wider (250 - 300mm?) to extend over the horrible wheel arch -
about 900mm long as the floor length is apparently 980 behind rear seats (38.7 inches) but taking into account the angle of the back seat i am hopping that i can fit 900mm
about 450 high - need to fit fridge 250mm plus slide out tables, and the height of that wheel arch cover

with the frame made out of 3030 aluminium extrusion should allow for ease of bolting on and removing the front section over the rear seat
1661772628748.png

A very rough sketch which hopefully gives you an idea of what i am thinking

1661771559909.png

and here is just one of many slide out table designs that i am hoping to utilise. this one has extendable legs to support1661772412667.png

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Only using a portion of the total rear area makes sense if you are wanting to carry other stuff that would not fit into draws/cupboards because it's too bulky or, say pets.

If this is not the case - then storage on both sides may be better.

BTW:
Justin Hocevar (INEOS Australia) has confirmed that INEOS is still working on an OEM draw system to order as an accessory and it would also ensure same floor height.

Greg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is the permanent part of the build, designed not to be removed. A drawer can be slid in the left hand side as required, but for weekends away probably just load up that side with stuff.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
And would you on top of the right hand side installation have an additional wooden panel to flip it forward as an extended sleeping platform?

Greg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The front half would be a seperate section that i can bolt in when needed. With its own frame and top. Would have a built in water tank or storage under the platform accessible through the 2nd row door. (not sure how much room would be there until i can measure one). It would be bolted to the permanent structure one end and legs to the floor the other.

AdiThorny

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Are the gull wing windows gone for good? I thought it would be brilliant to take's Greg idea and have some storage cupboards up to the roof but accessible from the side.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
That's all pretty much good ole Defender style. But as usual, the devil is in the details.

crimson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thinking forward to actual sleeping use, If the draw and sleeping setup is on the right, I'm anticipating a lot of luggage on the left. Would the rear left door be intruded and prevent you from opening or closing the door when you sleep within?

Greg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
emax... yes very much the same as a defender... if the Grenadier fell through my fall back is building a hard top defender perentie with pretty much the same setup on the right hand side with storage cupboards on the left

Greg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Crimson... everything would be in storage crates with enough room to reach the back doors to open them. But if necessary you can always use the second row righthand door to get in and out.
It is only a weekend away setup, any longer and there would be a tent, but the "kitchen" setup would still be the same.

AdiThorny

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Greg - is there any particular reason you want another table, not using the Grenadier option table?

Back
Top Bottom