The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Interior light behavior Strange

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:44 AM
Reaction score
Another question came up yesterday.

First, I haven't seen any resonable explanation about what the interior light switches do. On the roof panel, there are four:

RoofpanelInteriorLightSwitches.jpg

Outer left: Light on/off.
Outer right: Light on/off.

Inner left: ? What does it do?
Inner right: Automatic. Was does that mean?

I wanted to switch my first row lights on when I open one of the front doors.

I didn't succeed. I couldn't get to repeatable behavior.
Even the outer left and right switches don't do what their switches suggest: Go on or off. It seems to depend on the other switches, but how?
Did I overlook something in the manual?

Any ideas?
a) how to switch the first row lights on when you open one of the front doors?
b) what the inner left switch is supposed to do?
c) what the inner right switch is supposed to do or what "automatic" means ?

Not to talk about second row and boot lights ...

Khalfan323

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:44 AM
Reaction score
Another question came up yesterday.

First, I haven't seen any resonable explanation about what the interior light switches do. On the roof panel, there are four:

View attachment 7826249

Outer left: Light on/off.
Outer right: Light on/off.

Inner left: ? What does it do?
Inner right: Automatic. Was does that mean?

I wanted to switch my first row lights on when I open one of the front doors.

I didn't succeed. I couldn't get to repeatable behavior.
Even the outer left and right switches don't do what their switches suggest: Go on or off. It seems to depend on the other switches, but how?
Did I overlook something in the manual?

Any ideas?
a) how to switch the first row lights on when you open one of the front doors?
b) what the inner left switch is supposed to do?
c) what the inner right switch is supposed to do or what "automatic" means ?

Not to talk about second row and boot lights ...
The outer lateral switches are for the reading lights on either side. The on off switch turns on all the lights in the cabin on demand. The automatic light controls the lights when the doors are open or shut.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you.

My impression was that the buttons are not doing what they are supposed to do. But I will try this out with your clarification in mind.
Typo

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I just came back home and the lights first didn't seem to work as expected. Set to "automatic" they went on when I opened the doors, fine. But when I left the car and closed the door, they stayed on. 😢

But then I found out that they go off the moment that you lock the car. They nicely fade out in a ramp. :)

Maybe in daylight they go off immediately after just closing the door, but at the moment it is dark outside. The times when such things were controlled by simple switches and analog delay timers are over. Today even the day and night condiitions are processed even for a thing as simple as an interior light. So "testing" is a bit more demanding than it once was.

Brave new world.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:44 AM
Reaction score
It's as if those who developed the vehicle ignored the brief we were being told the vehicle would have.
I don’t think so. I think they were stymied by the level of tech they HAD to put into it due to regulations and economics versus what they wanted to.

I also think that if they hadn’t put these things into it, they would have been limited to selling the IG to dyed in the wool enthusiasts (and lets be honest that’s not going to pay the bills), and therefore doomed to financial ruin.

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don’t think so. I think they were stymied by the level of tech they HAD to put into it due to regulations and economics versus what they wanted to.

I also think that if they hadn’t put these things into it, they would have been limited to selling the IG to dyed in the wool enthusiasts (and lets be honest that’s not going to pay the bills), and therefore doomed to financial ruin.
Totally agree with your comments - I would be very happy with far less electrowizardry, but I realise there are compliance regulations and a balance to strike between comfort and convenience, along with appeal to prospective buyers. Let’s face it, the modern vehicles will never have the resilience of the older ones with plastic replacing metal, and electronics not only controlling the vehicle functions, but the driver‘s actions as well.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Wasn't that the same argument JLR trotted out for why the new Defender had to be so different from the old one?

Tell me what regulations exist to say the NATO socket has to be software controlled, or the axle diffs?

Yes, economics play a part when you're buying in parts - engines, transmissions, etc, but hardly applicable to many other parts.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I just came back home and the lights first didn't seem to work as expected. Set to "automatic" they went on when I opened the doors, fine. But when I left the car and closed the door, they stayed on. 😢

But then I found out that they go off the moment that you lock the car. They nicely fade out in a ramp. :)

Maybe in daylight they go off immediately after just closing the door, but at the moment it is dark outside. The times when such things were controlled by simple switches and analog delay timers are over. Today even the day and night condiitions are processed even for a thing as simple as an interior light. So "testing" is a bit more demanding than it once was.

Brave new world.
You need to wait a while..they'll extinguish in about 30 seconds without you needing to lock the car. They'll also extinguish while the doors are still open (especially when you're rummaging around trying to find stuff when it cold, dark and raining:mad:) , except for the light in the centre of the roof...this also extinguishes when the doors are closed and the vehicle is locked.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:44 PM
Reaction score

I’m hopeful the ‘24 IG we’ll get here in the US will be less tech than all the competition. That is still an advantage, but nothing like the individual exterior light selection on my IIa exMoD ;)

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Brave new world.
You can adjust the time it takes for it to go dark in the settings

ipcrss

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
For three days now, I have a second row interior light (left hand side only) on half (or less than half) illumination that stays on permanently, slowly flattening the battery. No combination of switches or alarm/fob pressing will switch it off. I can manually switch it in on fully, but it refuses to go out fully. Has anyone else had this ? Does anyone know how the car knows to switch the interior light on, as I cannot see a micro switch in the door jamb? There is no open door warning either. Is the same sensor used for the door open indicator as interior light operation and is it hidden in the door behind the door stay?

holdmybeer

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:44 PM
Reaction score
I’m hopeful the ‘24 IG we’ll get here in the US will be less tech than all the competition. That is still an advantage, but nothing like the individual exterior light selection on my IIa exMoD ;)
I'm with you, Tom. Unfortunately, even if the IG has *less* tech than all the competition ... well, it's a low standard. :ROFLMAO:

To control lights (internal and external) IMO a truck needs *less* clever lines of software logic, fewer clever sensors, and simply more switches and fuses that can be diagnosed/repaired/replaced/disabled at owners' will. 🤞

Trace a wire ... find either a (big) switch or a (big) fuse or +12V or ground. This used to be easy and durable.

This sounds negative. I suppose it is. The truck will probably be less complex than the competition. It's a new standard.

bbq4133

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For three days now, I have a second row interior light (left hand side only) on half (or less than half) illumination that stays on permanently, slowly flattening the battery. No combination of switches or alarm/fob pressing will switch it off. I can manually switch it in on fully, but it refuses to go out fully. Has anyone else had this ? Does anyone know how the car knows to switch the interior light on, as I cannot see a micro switch in the door jamb? There is no open door warning either. Is the same sensor used for the door open indicator as interior light operation and is it hidden in the door behind the door stay?

Sorry to revive an old topic. Have you figured this out yet? I have it, and when I hit the auto interior lights button (turning it off) and then hit it again (turning it on) the second row will typically go off. But I've not found a more permanent solution.

Local time
Reaction score
Hi while mine was in for service had a loan Trialmaster when going over speed bumps /potholes the rear interior lights flashed on was a rear door sensor not adjusted. May or may not help

bbq4133

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi while mine was in for service had a loan Trialmaster when going over speed bumps /potholes the rear interior lights flashed on was a rear door sensor not adjusted. May or may not help

Interesting. I'll note it for next time I'm in. It's just annoying but I hate being annoyed!

ipcrss

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old topic. Have you figured this out yet? I have it, and when I hit the auto interior lights button (turning it off) and then hit it again (turning it on) the second row will typically go off. But I've not found a more permanent solution.
I took it into the agent and they did a hard reset of the software. I asked how they did they did the reset and if it was possible for me to do it. I was hoping that battery disconnection or holding the mute button for 30 secs would do it if it happened again. I was told it required their equipment. It fixed the problem but does not explain the issue.

bbq4133

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I took it into the agent and they did a hard reset of the software. I asked how they did they did the reset and if it was possible for me to do it. I was hoping that battery disconnection or holding the mute button for 30 secs would do it if it happened again. I was told it required their equipment. It fixed the problem but does not explain the issue.

Will ask them to do the same when I'm in next. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom