The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Interesting quote from Lynn Calder on US spec vehicles

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:53 PM
Reaction score
Easy Dave , you're treading heavily on hardcore capitalism here 😉
"Bread and circuses" kept the Roman hoi polloi from revolting. This formula is still the modus operandi of western governments.

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
12:53 AM
Reaction score
I would say to that that the DOT cannot force upon you something not part of the car you purchased. Meaning, the as-sold spec does not have shutoff capability so unless they’re going to buy the truck back from me at full price, it shouldn’t be allowed. Can legislation force retrofitting to a car? I don’t think so.

Laws change. Software manipulation to meet new safety or emissions regulation would hardly qualify as a "retrofit". But that would be one for the lawyers. I think the bigger problem could be keeping a Grenadier drivetrain functioning long term. If parts or whole systems become impossible to service or replace we'll be screwed. It's not like we'll be shoving a GM small block under he hood when the B58 wears through the sprayed-in cylinder liners. Everything is so integrated now that mix and match opportunities have largely disappeared in new vehicles.

holdmybeer

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:53 AM
Reaction score
I would say to that that the DOT cannot force upon you something not part of the car you purchased. Meaning, the as-sold spec does not have shutoff capability so unless they’re going to buy the truck back from me at full price, it shouldn’t be allowed. Can legislation force retrofitting to a car? I don’t think so.
I'm not saying I like it, but it's not hard to imagine the conversion of some highways to Autonomous-Only or Super-AI-Safety-Features-Only.

e.g. "Hello citizen. Your 1995 Toyota or 2024 Grenadier can't have or doesn't have a sticker or plate or VIN certifying you're running the Government Knows Best Firmware? No problem, you just can't drive on the Best Roads."

Enforcement might be spotty, similar to how EV/HOV lanes are handled today. So, no, a government probably can't force you to modify your vehicle. But a government can and does create privileged roads or lanes of travel on previously unrestricted public roads.

Back
Top Bottom