The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

INEOS will NOT protect order holders in the US from dealer markups

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:12 PM
Reaction score
Nothing is 100% but I've seen that they were considering that (maybe in early literature?) and I think I saw it in a video. I honestly can't recall, but I know I've seen it a few times. Yes, for the US market.

ETA: https://techcoffeehouse.com/2021/12...ng-and-servicing-the-grenadier-4x4-worldwide/

I found a few articles mentioning partnering with Bosch, globally. Things may have changed, but it was out there.
The linked article implies two different things with:

"Retail partners will form the backbone of the service network, with additional geographical coverage provided by hand-picked Bosch Car Service outlets."
and
"Owners needing support in locations further afield will have access to over 10,000 Bosch Car Service outlets in 150 countries."

I understood hand picked Bosch locations would get the specific Grenadier training.

I think I could drive in to any Bosch centre with any vehicle and they'd possibly have a go at helping you.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was at a ride event in CA - the head of US marketing assured us that those who have a reservation and then do the pre-buy on the vehicle WILL NOT pay above sticker for it, that is a condition the dealers will have to honor to become a dealer. After all reservation holders are taken care of - the dealers can do what they want

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:12 AM
Reaction score
I've heard of those shops, didn't realize they were Bosch Centers. I would have thought that Bosch Centers would be named, Bosch Centers. I've been to a few of the shops, I thought the sign meant they used Bosch parts! Learn something new everyday.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:12 AM
Reaction score
Since our name was thrown out here, I thought I'd add some color. We did have a Braptor in stock for $30k over sticker (it sold last week). We purchased it new from a Ford dealer for $20k over sticker (it was one of the first one's out). The dealer legally has to title every new car sold, which means we also paid TT&L, and thus makes the vehicle used regardless of the low mileage. We don't like paying over sticker for vehicles any more than anyone else does, but for the last 3 years that's been the reality of the market. As an independent (non-franchised) dealer and leasing company, if we said we would not pay over sticker, we could not have handled Land Cruisers, Escalades, Denalis, Range Rovers, Rover Sports, Defenders, Tahoes/Suburbans (Z71, Premier, HC trims), Broncos, G wagons, F250s, even work trucks/vans, etc. for our clients. Many of these still bring over sticker if not on an order. By the same token, I can't count the number of trades we've taken in the last few years that have been over what our client paid for the car and/or over MSRP.

As far as the Ineos Grenadier, we have applied to be a dealership. We are a long, long way from being awarded the franchise, but we're excited about the product (whether we get the store or not). We would not sell a new Grenadier over MSRP, in accordance with their guidelines. True, it's not a legal requirement, but it's how we would operate and I hope/expect other Ineos dealers to do so as well. More importantly, we have never and will never include "dealer adds", those surprise additions to the price you don't know about until closing. Additionally, we will continue to shop trades around to ensure our clients get top value, including Carmax bids. Dealer have at least as much profit on dealer adds and lowball trade bids recently as they have on market adjustments.

I hope that clarifies. We are attracted to the Grenadier in part because of the way they are doing business. It fits well with our business model and the approach to selling cars that we've had for over 20 years.
Lewis Brazelton
Hi Lewis - I'm not sure what you're allowed to share, but what can you tell us about the application process?
Were there certain minimum requirements set forth by IA? Is there a franchise fee?
When do you expect to know if you've been selected by IA? When would you be able to announce?
What other brands does your group sell?
Would the IA portion require a stand-alone building or would the Gren share floorspace with other brands?

Please share all you can; I understand it may be limited, but it would really help us NA buyers to get a feel for things.

Thank you!

Local time
7:12 AM
Reaction score
I was at a ride event in CA - the head of US marketing assured us that those who have a reservation and then do the pre-buy on the vehicle WILL NOT pay above sticker for it, that is a condition the dealers will have to honor to become a dealer. After all reservation holders are taken care of - the dealers can do what they want
I heard the same thing at the Los Angeles event.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I heard the same thing at the Los Angeles event.
Feel bad for non-res holders... nothing like paying for someone else's retirement! Hopefully there is enough stock to keep prices placed well and not like Australia with the current LC300 pricing...

Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments, but this late in the game I’m too exhausted from the dealer model, and it looks like INEOS isn’t much of an innovative company to make the drama worth it. Going to pass, and I’m sure they’ll learn their lessons when they see how truly awful these business choices are in the long run.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments, but this late in the game I’m too exhausted from the dealer model, and it looks like INEOS isn’t much of an innovative company to make the drama worth it. Going to pass, and I’m sure they’ll learn their lessons when they see how truly awful these business choices are in the long run.
Shame to hear that, but I think many us can appreciate your frustration. I think the boiling point for our UK, EU, and Aussie friends is probably higher at this point, but if that's the path we NAs might face I'm sure there will be plenty of angst.

I know it's been discussed in this and other threads too, but in all reality, IAs hands are a bit tied with the car sales ecosystem that is both embedded and legislated in many States. I am anti-dealer and deeply sickened by cash-grab "adjustment" fees, but I'm confident there will be honest IG dealers who can and will live up to IAs wishes.

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sounds fair to me.

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Sounds fair to me.
I agree, I am definitely not passing on the reservation because I have pretty much thought this to be the plan all along. Ineos needs the consumer right now to take the gamble and order a vehicle well before there are any on the road. That will generate the buzz and get the dealers into the mix. After the reservation holders are taken care of then I believe the allotments will then go to the dealers, not the consumers as it is now. Then the gloves come off. If the truck is as I am hoping I am sure there will be market adjustments gapping at the dealer level. At this time the dealer will own the vehicle sitting on the lot to be sold. As it is now the consumer owns the vehicle waiting for a physical dropofff to be chosen.

ryket

Reservation Holder
Local time
7:12 AM
Reaction score

For Ineos, the business choice is either "use the dealer model" or "don't sell in the US". In general, state laws prohibit them from selling their product directly to consumers. [Insert rant about rent seeking and regulatory capture :)]

Tesla managed to carve out some exceptions for itself in the last decade but to my understanding those loopholes have closed. And Tesla had a mountain of magic money to throw at the problem.

The solution is to lobby Congress for federal action (good luck).

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am new here and have been reading through this post-glad i have a reservation! Sadly the only way these dealers are getting away with the Market Adjustments is that people are paying them which I won't do. I have not even looked at a new Corvette Z06 once I heard the stupid markups being added. The only thing you can do is seek out a dealer that shoots straight on pricing and build a relationship, be patient, and cross your fingers they get an allocation!

I guess some people just have the mentality that they have to have the latest and greatest no matter the cost. For me I would rather have the manufacturer raise their price to market and give those dealers a big middle finger, at least that way the people that designed and built the car get the windfall for designing and building something that people want.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Here’s a new dicky move by some scumbag dealers-they’ve added a $20,000 “safety package” that included wheel locks and “anti-viral“ treatment. They. All. Suck. This was at a Florida Toyota dealer and was tacked on a GR Corolla.

SOURCE

18E6EA33-7063-4133-AEF7-D56CE8E79723.jpeg

Last edited:

Deleted User Account.

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
Here’s a new dicky move by some scumbag dealers-they’ve added a $20,000 “safety package” that included wheel locks and “anti-viral“ treatment. They. All. Suck. This was at a Florida Toyota dealer and was tacked on a GR Corolla.

SOURCE

View attachment 7806496
Reasonable since standard equipment and the destination charge are INCLUDED.

Local time
Reaction score
I bought two Volvo wagons through their European delivery program. The price was lower than MSRP and included a round trip air ticket to Sweden, one night in a hotel in Gothenburg where the factory is, tourist auto registration and insurance, and shipping the vehicle to the USA. I bought directly from Volvo through the US dealer, and picked it up from the local US dealer when it was shipped back. Volvo's explanation for the deal was that they got paid in full before they build the wagon and thus avoided their financing/loan costs and the I also avoided a dealer's loan cost of buying the vehicle wholesale and carrying the wagon until they found a buyer.. I was doing business in Sweden at the time and also had friends there so the process was enjoyable.
But, the point is Ineos has apparently said they will be spinning up a European delivery program. That might be a way of dealing directly with Ineos and avoiding insane dealer markups. Just be prepared for the sky high cost of fuel over there.

Back
Top Bottom