The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

INEOS AUTOMOTIVE LAUNCHES COMMERCIAL GRENADIER IN THE UK (qualifies for VAT reclamation)

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:09 PM
Reaction score
The HMRC rules are complicated to point that even they don't understand them. A few weeks ago they changed Double Cab pickups, then changed it back. The situation with VW Combis has been rattling on for over a decade, the AA in particular have been bearing the brunt of this.
What JLR have done is to take vehicles off the production line and separately modifying to meet commercial specs. Mostly ensuring that a second row of seats can never be fitted, JLR have had to commit that will not sell the seats too.

Likewise the IG is modified to meet the requirements.

Then to confuse things further, the DVLA commercial classification is not the same as HMRC, so existing N1 are commercial for DVLA but not HMRC.
Some people will have claimed the VAT back on existing N1, not correct, but the HMRC don't tend to pick this up for small outfits, concentrating on fleet buyers.

Last edited:

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
6:09 PM
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Then to confuse things further, the DVLA commercial classification is not the same as HMRC, so existing N1 are commercial for DVLA but not HMRC.
Some people will have claimed the VAT back on existing N1, not correct, but the HMRC don't tend to pick this up for small outfits, concentrating on fleet buyers.
But even if HMRC don't pick up the inconsistency in year 1, the business owner will not be safe until 6 years have passed, as the HMRC can go back 6 years to collect unpaid tax not collected in error, with fines if they believe that the "oversight" on the part of the taxpayer was deliberate.

Even more annoying, you cannot recover your legal defence costs as tax deductible in your business, even if you win. As I said to someone at The Great Grenadier Charity Event, dealing with HMRC is like screwing a porcupine, it's one prick against thousands!

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:09 PM
Reaction score
By the way. Just as proud to buy 'Made in': USA, Germany, Australia, SA, France, etc, etc. A little less enthusiastic about China.

Completely agree, if I could eliminate anything made in the PRC I would. They, alongside Russia and Iran are destabilising the world and all we appear to do is appease them.

BTW: I've paid my taxes and I'm not in business, so why should you guys get discount vehicles is beyond me?

Back
Top Bottom