The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Idle speculation on the cause of the delay..

OGrid

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:32 PM
Reaction score
I'd like to think that any delay, especially if software related, has to do with how the use of the axle diff locks is tied in to each other and with the use of centre diff and low range.

Ineos seem to have designed in a series of single point failures with making various operations wholly reliant on software. Absolutely bizarre when you think back to all the statements about removing complexity, back to basics functionality and analogue simplicity.

The issues were illustrated with the Scottish reviews, both in the apparent confusion of some journos as to whether the axle locks were in or not and the HDC not being able to function until other systems/sensors confirmed diff locks were disengaged.

It seems to be a software house of cards in terms of the logic tree they have constructed.

The front diff will not lock with knowing the rear diff has been locked first, so, if you have a fault with the rear diff lock (or just the i/o signal to/from a sensor) then you also loose the use of a perfectly good front diff lock.

Loose the use of either the centre diff lock or the low range (or just the i/o signal to/from a sensor) and you then loose use of both axle diff locks.

It seems the complete opposite of building in redundancy in systems.

Yes there's the argument about why use a front locker before a rear or even before the centre diff but better to apply that as a driver input and retain the ability to override it if circumstances dictate it.

It all rather reminds me of the ASPW comments when taking out his ABS/wheel speed sensor and what a similar fault would do to a new Defender.
Very interesting. Thanks

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

As I just posted in another thread, Justin Hocevars (Head of Asia Pacific for IA) was at the Victorian test drive last Friday.

I specially asked him about the delays due to software updates.
He did not go into details but, specifically said that these software issues had been fixed (past tense).

He then said that the main drivers of the "make & batch" delays have been IA requesting some part suppliers to make minor but necessary changes.
These changes have been requested post 17 October commencement of series production to ensure necessary levels of build quality.

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:32 PM
Reaction score

He then said that the main drivers of the "make & batch" delays have been IA requesting some part suppliers to make minor but necessary changes.
These changes have been requested post 17 October commencement of series production to ensure necessary levels of build quality.

This is becoming more apparent I think - i.e. that there's physical modifications to built cars required - as the extent of the delay is being revealed. Especially if tooling was/is affected... followed by QC/re-manufacture/distribute/fit parts, etc. And so it goes on...

To hear end of March is disappointing.... I think this forum might implode

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:32 PM
Reaction score
This is becoming more apparent I think - i.e. that there's physical modifications to built cars required - as the extent of the delay is being revealed. Especially if tooling was/is affected... followed by QC/re-manufacture/distribute/fit parts, etc. And so it goes on...

To hear end of March is disappointing.... I think this forum might implode
Considering the EU is only getting vehicles now, end of March is a reasonable time line. I waited 6 weeks after my Toyota was built for it to land, let alone clear customs/dealer delivery time went to 2 weeks after. Time will tell.....

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I wonder what it is and why it can't be retro fitted locally.
The legal consequences for knowingly releasing a defective vehicle are enormous.
I read it that a supplier /suppliers may have sent through a batch of stuff which doesn't meet the contracted specs. Far more economical to replace in a production environment to maintain QA standards..

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
None of that makes sense when vehicles are leaving the factory and turning up at agents?
batches of components are being continuously delivered by suppliers to the assembly line on a "just in time" basis. Arrival timing slots are critical for a moving assembly line. It's quite possible that several batches of "whatever" arrived which were faulty.... now the faulty components have to be rectified... so those vehicles are "quarantined" and until the IA Quality assurance personnel are satisfied, then they have to resort to "batch and hold" ...

Steveo

Global Grenadier #1009
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
batches of components are being continuously delivered by suppliers to the assembly line on a "just in time" basis. Arrival timing slots are critical for a moving assembly line. It's quite possible that several batches of "whatever" arrived which were faulty.... now the faulty components have to be rectified... so those vehicles are "quarantined" and until the IA Quality assurance personnel are satisfied, then they have to resort to "batch and hold" ...
Yeah, sounds like there’s some rework going on

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:32 AM
Reaction score
I understand all that, my post was in relation to #127, 128 & 129.

MichaelE

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:32 PM
Reaction score
1677599899160.png

The first INEOS Grenadier in end-user ownership. 💪
HardWayHome winner Ingemar Rodler recently took delivery of the Grenadier in Morocco and visited us today. You can see the joy in his face 😉.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom