The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas I came, I saw, I drove then walked…

Regalz

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
6:55 PM
Reaction score
Well, slightly off topic, but here goes. I have no issue with the steering action as much as I have apprehension about the turning circle. This will be my daily drive and I live in an urban area (So Cal). As much as we make fun of "mall crawlers" the simple fact is that this vehicle, for me, will likely spend as much time (maybe not as many miles) running errands, going to appointments, and doing things that involve parallel parking, parking lots and parking structures. For those that own these, especially new owners in the US urban areas, how has it been navigating this beast around town?
My initial foray into the parking garage I use daily did require a couple of unexpected 3 point turns, however on subsequent entries I’ve been more aware and they became unnecessary. There is no question it’s something you need to adjust to but so far I have had no issues in the urban environment that made me question my decision. As big as it is it’s nothing like trying to wrangle a Raptor or TRX in a parking garage 😂

jwb

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:55 PM
Reaction score
I truly enjoy driving my wife's Outback too. Great car.
Same, my wife's outback is great. Standard blind spot warning and adaptive cruise with only 1 (really) dirty windshield camera error in 3 years. 🤷‍♂️

I love to use my Dad's old saying of everyone is entitled to their own ridiculous opinion. I have too many vehicle and motorcycle interests that only need to make sense to me. Mutual respect!

terdrocket

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:55 PM
Reaction score
Those Tesla’s are not an objective comparison. I drive a 991 911 GT3 and a C8 Corvette, both ICE and comparable to Tesla quickness but I wouldn’t compare them to the IG. The better comparison is a G550 or the G63 I traded in, similar in shape and mass. Initially the IG felt noticeably slower, but I’ve since realized that when you want to make it move, the turbos do their job and it really is quite quick when you get on it. Not G63 quick, but definitely not slow like my Gladiator
I traded my procharged Escalade for the Grenadier. While it was no where as fast as your two sports cars, it could really move out for its size. I got the Grenadier knowing that it would be slow in comparison.
The Grenadier has really surprised me how well it accelerates with minimal throttle input. It doesn't feel like I am hammering on it, yet I look and I am going faster than my butt estimated. And talk about a smooth transmission.

MurphyMurph

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
5:55 PM
Reaction score
This thing is like a Smart Car compared to my 06 Tundra Double Cab. Still kinda sucks though.
Or my quad cab long box diesel 4x4 Dodge. I just bought one of those 10’ x 20’ car canopies from Costco and the ram sticks out 4” on either end. I measured and its 20’ 8” bumper to bumper. I’d be hard pressed to find a parking lot to do a full 360 degree turn and measure, but I’d imagine we’re talking close to 60’.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:55 AM
Reaction score
Well, slightly off topic, but here goes. I have no issue with the steering action as much as I have apprehension about the turning circle. This will be my daily drive and I live in an urban area (So Cal). As much as we make fun of "mall crawlers" the simple fact is that this vehicle, for me, will likely spend as much time (maybe not as many miles) running errands, going to appointments, and doing things that involve parallel parking, parking lots and parking structures. For those that own these, especially new owners in the US urban areas, how has it been navigating this beast around town?
Yours is exactly the situation in which I might not enjoy my Grenadier so much. Short drives in an urban environment might be challenging. That said, it seems quite a few members on here are living that particular dream and seem to enjoy.

reauxheaux

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'll say that my JKU wrangler with 35" tires has the same turning radius. It is part of the tradeoff with most offroaders. They aren't built for city sense.

Offroad

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'll say that my JKU wrangler with 35" tires has the same turning radius. It is part of the tradeoff with most offroaders. They aren't built for city sense.
I agree with you but I say that 'adding on' things that impact steering is different than buying something that doesn't have it to begin with..

Coullabus

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
1:55 AM
Reaction score
Loved the Grenadier from first concept. Mrs C saw one last summer on a visit to the mainland. Fell in love with it. So we went in search of a test drive….. a half hour later we were determined to own it. It is now my daily driver - sold my beloved 2008 110 Defender - we love it!

Simple really. If you like it, think about it. If you love it, buy it. If you don’t ….. don’t.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm interested in the Roadmaster solution provided it does not affect my warranty and does not significantly compromise off-road performance.

Over 4000 miles - I really don't think it's needed. It's not that the Grenadier doesn't return to center, it just does it slowly.

Strib81

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There are a lot of complaints about steering. I will admit at first it is strange but after almost 700 miles on mine I do not notice. That said my friends in Europe have told me that the Old Man Emu steering Stabilizer kit fixes the lack of return. The issue is the stabilizer not the design. I have not tried my self. Below is a link to the kit. Not trying to sell anything I just do not see any information about this kit on the forum yet.

Jack123

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Ha Ha Ha! Like Defenders did not have their own "multiple" surprises!! :LOL:

:) And I would also wonder... After few years of owning an IG, then test drive a Defender, what would be some of the observations? For me, it's not even a comparison. I see a lot of Defenders here in SoCal and I'm not impressed. My wife drives a 400HP Range Rover Sport - her RRS is, just okay :)

Jack123

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Come on guys. It is not our decision but his and if he wants to stop before paying this will be a good decision for him.
Who are we to judge another persons feeling about the steering the bump in the foot room of RHD vehicels or the high consumption?
For me this forum is special for its liberal participants and not by the sharpness of the answers.
What is right for us has not be right for someone else.
So I wave goodby to @Salj and wish him all the best.

Well said Bemax... Thanks so much...

Local time
Reaction score
Technically, according to Sir Jim and Ineos, it is a vehicle, not a truck... :ROFLMAO:
Well I think Sir Jim is speaking from an English designation based on weight etc for English/EU roads or something.
In our country most things body on frame with straight axles is a truck.....
Not for nuthin, but....lol

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ha. I have my Grenny and love my Subaru Outback - perfect daily driver in Colorado. Everything to its purpose and everyone’s purpose a little different.
To be fair, I hate Subarus. But on a snow day like today it is worse running the gauntlet of stuck Subarus getting out of our neighborhood :mad:

bradb622

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
To be fair, I hate Subarus. But on a snow day like today it is worse running the gauntlet of stuck Subarus getting out of our neighborhood :mad:
I just think it's okay to like what you like. The Grenadier is a very different kind of vehicle, I've enjoyed every drive on and off road in it and excited for the next big snow day here.

AWo

Local time
2:55 AM
Reaction score
Please explain how the steering is made for off-road and how that affects the return to center?

I drive all sorts of off-road trucks newish, old and custom swapped axles with fully custom steering builds and never had an issue making one return to center. I thought the steering would be a non issue for coming from trucks that can only be explained as sh@t boxes but the first turn I made in the gren I said out loud to the sales person "I don't like that". I never really got use to it but I am not super worried as long as more caster can fix it and I will probably remove the steering stabilizer.

This truck is far from perfect but it's the only one like it on the market so I have will just spend my time making it how I want. This forum gets so defensive of this truck I really don't get it. If I wanted a community that sits around and talks about how great their car is and how everyone else is wrong I would get a new jeep. Lets be better than that toxic off-road community that is developing lately.
The returning force comes somewhat from toe in/out and mainly from the caster.

Changing the height of the car via a suspension lift reduces the force as it reduces the caster.

AWo

Back
Top Bottom