The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas I came, I saw, I drove then walked…

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:31 AM
Reaction score
Come on guys. It is not our decision but his and if he wants to stop before paying this will be a good decision for him.
Who are we to judge another persons feeling about the steering the bump in the foot room of RHD vehicels or the high consumption?
For me this forum is special for its liberal participants and not by the sharpness of the answers.
What is right for us has not be right for someone else.
So I wave goodby to @Salj and wish him all the best.

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:31 AM
Reaction score
I am not saying the OP here is like this but there are a lot of people that just buy because it is the new cool thing to be seen in. Same goes with broncos, rivians, M3s etc. The research goes “I think I’ll be able to keep up with my neighbor Mr Jones, I’ll get one”. Coming from a Tesla to the Grenadier and expecting it to be similar, I don’t think there are two vehicles that are further apart.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My daily is a Rivian R1S and the Grenny is my winter/off-road vehicle. Is the steering different and noticeable, yes, would it keep me from driving/buying the Grenny, no way.

Very soon you will be able to purchase a steering stabilizer from Roadmaster that will return the vehicle to center. I will purchase this because I like the return to center feel. If for some reason they never make it I will gladly keep driving the Grenny.
I'm interested in the Roadmaster solution provided it does not affect my warranty and does not significantly compromise off-road performance.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Could you imagine a Subaru driver even in a Grenadier :ROFLMAO:
I missed this last part... to be fair, my better half, who was a pro-driver at more of the tour stops than any other and was the driver for the first commercial, now drives a Subaru daily and absolutely loves it :ROFLMAO:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I missed this last part... to be fair, my better half, who was a pro-driver at more of the tour stops than any other and was the driver for the first commercial, now drives a Subaru daily and absolutely loves it :ROFLMAO:
I truly enjoy driving my wife's Outback too. Great car.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am not saying the OP here is like this but there are a lot of people that just buy because it is the new cool thing to be seen in. Same goes with broncos, rivians, M3s etc. The research goes “I think I’ll be able to keep up with my neighbor Mr Jones, I’ll get one”.
I'll help add emphasis.... a lot

Texas Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
11:31 PM
Reaction score
Took a 20 minute test drive at Holman in FL this afternoon. They had about 20 cars around the lot. There were 5 parked end to end that looked like they were mustering for a military exercise. Very purposeful design.
I’ve had Defenders, including the ‘97 D90 model.
Got to say, the steering lack of recoil was very odd. I can see maybe getting accustomed to it if it was my only vehicle. We shuttle between a couple and if you took the wheel of the Grenadier without expecting the steering idiosyncrasies I could see a “surprise” event.
I’ll pass.
Adios!!!!

2wheelfish

Production/Transit
Forum Supporter
Local time
9:31 PM
Reaction score
Well, slightly off topic, but here goes. I have no issue with the steering action as much as I have apprehension about the turning circle. This will be my daily drive and I live in an urban area (So Cal). As much as we make fun of "mall crawlers" the simple fact is that this vehicle, for me, will likely spend as much time (maybe not as many miles) running errands, going to appointments, and doing things that involve parallel parking, parking lots and parking structures. For those that own these, especially new owners in the US urban areas, how has it been navigating this beast around town?

thale10

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Well, slightly off topic, but here goes. I have no issue with the steering action as much as I have apprehension about the turning circle. This will be my daily drive and I live in an urban area (So Cal). As much as we make fun of "mall crawlers" the simple fact is that this vehicle, for me, will likely spend as much time (maybe not as many miles) running errands, going to appointments, and doing things that involve parallel parking, parking lots and parking structures. For those that own these, especially new owners in the US urban areas, how has it been navigating this beast around town?
Awesome. It's your vehicle so you get to drive it how you want. Parking is just fine and I don't think the turning Radius is an issue for everyday parking. Parallel parking could be an issue but I haven't tried it yet and I am honestly a little hesitant. The turning radius comes more into play on U turns. I had to do a few in Denver and I made sure I turned wide.

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
This thing is like a Smart Car compared to my 06 Tundra Double Cab. Still kinda sucks though.

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:31 AM
Reaction score
Took a 20 minute test drive at Holman in FL this afternoon. They had about 20 cars around the lot. There were 5 parked end to end that looked like they were mustering for a military exercise. Very purposeful design.
Got to say, the steering lack of recoil was very odd. I can see maybe getting accustomed to it if it was my only vehicle. We shuttle between a couple and if you took the wheel of the Grenadier without expecting the steering idiosyncrasies I could see a “surprise” event.
I’ll pass.
Mate - that's your decision. At least you test drove it and made the correct decision for you.

Be interesting to know what you do buy instead.

DrahthHunter

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I’ll pass.
First of all it’s not a CAR it’s a truck soooo

FieldMonster

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Awesome. It's your vehicle so you get to drive it how you want. Parking is just fine and I don't think the turning Radius is an issue for everyday parking. Parallel parking could be an issue but I haven't tried it yet and I am honestly a little hesitant. The turning radius comes more into play on U turns. I had to do a few in Denver and I made sure I turned wide.

I’ve not found parallel parking to be an issue. The reversing camera helps.

I’m a country bumpkin but I’ve had a chance to drive mine a couple of time in central London and loved it. I can’t see how anywhere in the US would be any worse than London’s narrow streets and ridiculously small and tight multi-storey car parks. The Grenadier took it all in its stride and as a bonus offered a comfortable heated seat on a chilly day and a great view over the roofs of all the taxis.

(Seeing Big Ben through the safari roof while waiting at the traffic lights coming off Westminster bridge was a real highlight too!)

Attachments

• IMG_0726.jpeg
    IMG_0726.jpeg
    971.2 KB · Views: 21

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:31 AM
Reaction score
Maybe you should ask someone from Europe who lives in an urban region with streets that have been built before the automobile has been invented.
I for my part would say that there are a lot of cars I like more for driving in a city. But it is still ok to do so in the Grenadier. The most annoying thing is that the parking garages here tend to be less high than 2.00 meters. The Grenadier is 2.03…
The turning circle doesn’t bother me to much in the city.

j.ironfab

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
10:31 PM
Reaction score
You are a reservation holder, did enough research to find this site, went out of your way to do a live test drive, certainly knowing and understanding that the steering mechanism was designed for off roading. After all that and your research you show up and take the one issue that is well known since the idea for the grenadier was conceived, and post…yeah, not for me because of the steering, as if something is wrong with it.

Please, by all means, do a real analysis of the grenadier’s issues, but taking the single thing that is designed for a specific purpose and take a pot shot at the entire vehicle for that is, frankly speaking, a bit stupid.

Please explain how the steering is made for off-road and how that affects the return to center?

I drive all sorts of off-road trucks newish, old and custom swapped axles with fully custom steering builds and never had an issue making one return to center. I thought the steering would be a non issue for coming from trucks that can only be explained as sh@t boxes but the first turn I made in the gren I said out loud to the sales person "I don't like that". I never really got use to it but I am not super worried as long as more caster can fix it and I will probably remove the steering stabilizer.

This truck is far from perfect but it's the only one like it on the market so I have will just spend my time making it how I want. This forum gets so defensive of this truck I really don't get it. If I wanted a community that sits around and talks about how great their car is and how everyone else is wrong I would get a new jeep. Lets be better than that toxic off-road community that is developing lately.

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I guess every forum has super fanbois on them, its the nature of things.

Regalz

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
10:31 PM
Reaction score
It’s interesting to hear different opinions and what people sense when they get behind the wheel. I did 2 test drives of 20-30 minutes each and the steering was simply a non-event. It was fine for me. There was no getting used to it, it just worked fine.

My observation was that rig is vastly underpowered. When you floor it you simply sit and wait for the large metal mass to gain momentum. I also felt that it had quite a bit of body sway when you tossed it around. That being said we drive 2 teslas full time in our household currently so very few ICE vehicles can come close to compare ….so I was kinda like - meh, it’s an ICE vehicle, it’s slow, it is what it is :)

I’m incredibly excited to receive mine between now and March. So many things to like. It is truly purpose built. Things like steering and 0-60 are a rounding error in the big picture.
Those Tesla’s are not an objective comparison. I drive a 991 911 GT3 and a C8 Corvette, both ICE and comparable to Tesla quickness but I wouldn’t compare them to the IG. The better comparison is a G550 or the G63 I traded in, similar in shape and mass. Initially the IG felt noticeably slower, but I’ve since realized that when you want to make it move, the turbos do their job and it really is quite quick when you get on it. Not G63 quick, but definitely not slow like my Gladiator

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm interested in the Roadmaster solution provided it does not affect my warranty and does not significantly compromise off-road performance.
The roadster solution is something that can be put on and taken off in about 20 mins with the brackets - so imagine that if you are concerned (totally understand) you could remove it before going in for service.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:31 PM
Reaction score
Please explain how the steering is made for off-road and how that affects the return to center?

I drive all sorts of off-road trucks newish, old and custom swapped axles with fully custom steering builds and never had an issue making one return to center. I thought the steering would be a non issue for coming from trucks that can only be explained as sh@t boxes but the first turn I made in the gren I said out loud to the sales person "I don't like that". I never really got use to it but I am not super worried as long as more caster can fix it and I will probably remove the steering stabilizer.

This truck is far from perfect but it's the only one like it on the market so I have will just spend my time making it how I want. This forum gets so defensive of this truck I really don't get it. If I wanted a community that sits around and talks about how great their car is and how everyone else is wrong I would get a new jeep. Lets be better than that toxic off-road community that is developing lately.
@j.ironfab I find this forum far from everything is awesome. But i also have been on forum since the pre-launch days. Where I think people have issues are when people post things that have been beaten to death. I take issue with people that share their opinions with out context. For example I could say Starbucks coffee sucks. That is what I call a hot take. Now a more constructive way to have conversation would be, Starbucks coffee is disgusting because I feel they over roast the beans to make up for the fact they source their beans from so many different growers. The burning of the beans creates a bitter taste that I have trouble drinking. I find a better option are the local shops that tend to have small batch producers.

Using the steering as example. I chose not to buy the IG because I am used to driving a vehicle with larger steering wheels and the wheels returning to center. I struggled with it on my 20 minute drive and feel that I would have difficult driving the way it forces me to drive. I currently drive Tesla which are drive by wire and as you know drive by wire adjusts the amount of turning requirement depending on the speed. That feels more effortless and suits the less is more approach.

To me that is a critique that proves context versus hot takes that seems to be popping up that the forum pushes back on.

Back
Top Bottom