The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

How many PTO/LS produced

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:38 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone know (or think they know) how many PTO2, PTO3, LS1, LS2 have been produced to date?

I read somewhere that the PTO series were first produced from April or May onwards this year.

In another thread today (Aussie 🇦🇺 bound Grenadiers in Zeebrugge!), it was stated that the 6-8 Grenadiers on their way to Australia are LS1.

It would be very interesting to know how many PTO02, PTO03, LS1 cars were produced in the past 3 months - being the original period when customer cars were expected to be produced at the rate of 300 per week; i.e. approx 3,500 cars.

That would then tell us the magnitude of the production constraints.

Local time
12:38 PM
Reaction score
my guess is that there is nothing to be derived from the production quantity of prototypes. I doubt they have made more than a thousand, likely way fewer, and not all of them would have been totally complete. They have probably not put carpets, airbags, radios, etc into that many of the vehicles that were just fitted for telemetry, destruction / fatigue testing, etc. the point of prototypes is to reduce costs, and manufacturing too many would be the opposite.

OGrid

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Does anyone know (or think they know) how many PTO2, PTO3, LS1, LS2 have been produced to date?

I read somewhere that the PTO series were first produced from April or May onwards this year.

In another thread today (Aussie 🇦🇺 bound Grenadiers in Zeebrugge!), it was stated that the 6-8 Grenadiers on their way to Australia are LS1.

It would be very interesting to know how many PTO02, PTO03, LS1 cars were produced in the past 3 months - being the original period when customer cars were expected to be produced at the rate of 300 per week; i.e. approx 3,500 cars.

That would then tell us the magnitude of the production constraints.

Hi, a quick clarification. They ‘might’ be LS1, no confirmation at this stage though. This was based on an extended conversation I had at a recent 4x4 show with an Ineos exec lining up with recent conversations by other forum members in the last few days with Ineos. I’m awaiting confirmation.

There was mention at the show that PTO3, PTO4, etc would manifest if required, but only if something was identified and required addressing. Based on the others members conversations and the recent Video apology from Ineos on timings I can’t see that has happened.

Hope that helps

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My only point was trying to gauge the level of of the supply chain problems by contrasting what INEOS has produced against what they said they WOULD produce.

For example - in the period April to October it seems INEOS was able to manufacture, maybe, 400 or so Grenadiers but only in the form of PTO1, PTO2, PTO3 & LS1, whereas, according to original estimates they should have produced, around, 3,500 cars, being the 400 above PLUS approx 300 customers cars a week from start of August.

So - it's reasonable to think they have severe restrictions on some parts as 90% of their planned production in this period did not occur.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
5:38 PM
Reaction score
What does 'LS1' mean?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The original protos were built by Magna Steyr and are apparently "worth" millions.
Museum pieces, if they aren't crushed.

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:38 PM
Reaction score
The original protos were built by Magna Steyr and are apparently "worth" millions.
Museum pieces, if they aren't crushed.
Maybe time will tell!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:38 AM
Reaction score
Or they halted work because parts needed re-work, modification or re-design...

There were internal as well as external factors at play ~ look at the door inserts, or even the configurator going live showing, for example, an integrated winch, the full specification for which hadn't been signed off yet by Ineos.

It seems easy to say delays are down to the supplier not providing the parts but if that's because you haven't told him exactly what you want...

In your example above if only 10% could be made, then wouldn't you prioritise the demo fleet and get them out to the retail partners?
They may have just been missing the hand brake lever. Or they could have been short the engine/gearbox. or the frame could have been missing.
Any combination would halt production.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
5:38 PM
Reaction score
Any combination would halt production.
Doesn't have to be parts for the car.

Even missing e.g. welding gas is a show stopper.

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It’s a shame we can’t see the plate to see if any more details can be seen on the vehicle checker as plenty of fields are blank if you run one of the PTO2 registrations.

Halliwell Jones Chester

Commercial Account
INEOS Agent/Dealer (verified)
Local time
Reaction score
Did you take any more photos that you can share?
Unfortunately I couldn't take any pictures of the car when I was there sorry. I did however notice that the cable routing on the boot doors is still there although looked a little neater in appearance.

Last edited:

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Unfortunately I couldn't take any pictures of the car when I was there sorry. I did however notice that the cable routing on the boot doors is still there although looked a little neater in appearance.
Any comments to make about interior switchgear and buttons? My main point of critic of the PTO-2 car was the apparent slack in the buttons and controls. They didn’t feel quite as pleasingly quality as I’d have liked. I can only assume materials etc hadn’t been finalised.

Back
Top Bottom