The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

How important is fuel economy to you?

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:46 AM
Reaction score
When I started to plan to buy the Grenadier (let me say, at the very beginning of the news of its conception) fuel consumption was irrelevant for me. My home fleet was composed by a Porsche 964 turbo (5km/lt), a Defender 90 Td4 (8.5km/lt) and a Audi A1. At that time my office was at half a mile from my home, and i went to work walking. Then, I retired and fuel consumption was even more irrelevant. After two years, in the middle of pandemic, I have been appointed to an institutional position which involves a commute of 40km per day. Fuel consumption started to be a bit more relevant, especially when the cost of fuel (diesel/petrol) increased by 50% in Italy (1.8 euro/lt). If before that I drove the Defender flat out, I learned to pay more attention and from 8.5km/lt I can now get almost 10km/lt, without too much reduction in performance. Now, I read from the specifications of the Grenadier /petrol) 6.9km/lt. Honestly, this data seems very pessimistic to me, also considering the brick aerodynamics, the weight and the gasoline power supply, but the B58 is a rather modern engine and with a little attention I hope to be able to reach at least 7.5 km/lt. That would mean around 200 euros/month, an absolutely rewarding expense, considering that even when commuting I always feel an old fashion driving pleasure. Off road and holidays, then, are occasions in which I'm certainly not looking at whether to spend a little more on fuel...

Local time
11:46 PM
Reaction score
Fuel economy is a factor for me. I drive my Tacoma from middle America to Northern Canada, and south to the southern border of Mexico. These long trips cost thousands in fuel. I can't fly because of the amount and type of equipment (read large lithium batteries) that I have to transport. Right now I'm hovering around 15.8 to 17.3 MPG average on the long runs depending on where I got the fuel and what the wind conditions were like. (Fuel out of mexican milk jugs always give worse MPG.) We took our last trip in my wifes Toyota Prime vehicle, plugging in every night for 45 miles of free driving. Even with that little bit of help we got around 38MPG, at the expense of having to replace most of the shocks and some ripped off plastic wheel well trim at the end of the trip. (2021 model.) So not really a net win. When the US numbers for the Grenadier were looking more like 16 MPG (US) that was making me unhappy. 19MPG (US) unloaded is in my happy range. 24 MPG (US) where I expect the new hybrid Tacoma will be, would be really nice. At $3USD a gallon over the life of my Tacoma (presently 350,000 miles) that's a $11K difference in fuel. I'm hoping similar mileage from the grenadier, and gas prices will only increase. Just something to think about.
Thanks for your posts regarding Taco vs Gren. I drive a gen 2 Taco manual. In May I'll embarrass myself in the Gren demo drive but you paved the way so I feel better. Agreed about mileage. My loop to off road camping involves 8,000 mi on paved roads. Some of the 2024 Tacomas look like "all hat and no cow."

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:46 PM
Reaction score
It’s amusing the hell out of me that every post on Facebook of a new delivery, there are immediately half a dozen posts asking what the fuel economy is like. As if
A) thats the first thing a new owner is going to be focused on.
B) that these people who have literally posted as soon as they drive away have done enough kms to have any idea
C) As if the fuel economy of a not yet run in brand new vehicle is relevant to anything
D) as if the fuel economy of a 2.7t brick shaped object is a key criteria in the first place

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
It’s amusing the hell out of me that every post on Facebook of a new delivery, there are immediately half a dozen posts asking what the fuel economy is like.
I'd say over 50% of all FB posts are more face palm inducing than amusing. But that's free speech for you 😖

Local time
Reaction score
I think Ineos already addressed the fuel consumption issue by going for a inline 6 turbo instead of a naturally aspirated V8. The turbo allows smaller engine & likely fuel efficiency (vs. the V8). To get the power where they needed it, a 3L inline 6 non-turbo must have been judged insufficient, so they added a turbo for a bit more power. I think the old LC had a 5L V8 - so there's clearly a difference with fuel consumption, and that was a decision.

Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think Ineos already addressed the fuel consumption issue by going for a V6 turbo instead of a naturally aspirated V8. The turbo allows smaller engine & likely fuel efficiency (vs. the V8). To get the power where they needed it, a 3L V6 non-turbo must have been judged insufficient, so they added a turbo for a bit more power. I think the old LC had a 5L V8 - so there's clearly a difference with fuel consumption, and that was a decision.
Ineos don't use a V6
It is an inline 6

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
4:46 AM
Reaction score
I think Ineos already addressed the fuel consumption issue by going for a inline 6 turbo instead of a naturally aspirated V8. The turbo allows smaller engine & likely fuel efficiency (vs. the V8). To get the power where they needed it, a 3L inline 6 non-turbo must have been judged insufficient, so they added a turbo for a bit more power. I think the old LC had a 5L V8 - so there's clearly a difference with fuel consumption, and that was a decision.
erm, I’d do a bit more research before you order the V6 Grenadier...

Local time
Reaction score
erm, I’d do a bit more research before you order the V6 Grenadier...
I'm obviously on the forum to learn, not pontificate. be specific on what issue you're referencing with the ineos engine, as it sounds fine to me, in terms of the initial mpg question. i drive a LR 2.0L 4 turbo now; it's not great on gas mpg - I get about 16-18 depending on my driving. after 80k miles my turbo cracked and leaked, but it does do what it's there for, which is power.

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm obviously on the forum to learn, not pontificate. be specific on what issue you're referencing with the ineos engine, as it sounds fine to me, in terms of the initial mpg question. i drive a LR 2.0L 4 turbo now; it's not great on gas mpg - I get about 16-18 depending on my driving. after 80k miles my turbo cracked and leaked, but it does do what it's there for, which is power.
The Gren has a turbo straight six, bmw supplied engines not V6s. The USA is getting the petrol version and the RoW get to pick both.. The BMW unit is slightly de tuned to reduce engine stress, maximise torque and for longevity reasons.. In your earlier post, you stated that Ineos has selected a V6.

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Fuel consumption is also in your footing. Before the war in Ukrayne made prices soar, I drove my Defender Td4 flat out with a consumption of about 8 km/l (and only for two years I have had an institutional assignment that makes me travel more than 40 km/day compared to my previous 5/10 km/day).
As the cost of diesel increased from €1.2 to €1.8, my enjoyment shifted from fast and aggressive driving to the pleasure of consuming less (Economy Run competition style...). Now, without much effort, I can get 10km/l. Without any electronic aid or real-time monitoring of consumption. I hope to be able to apply the same style with Gren, at least in daily driving...

Tom Frankonia

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Nach 400 km (ca. 250 Meilen) with my Grenadier Fieldmaster Edition mit dem Diesel 8,5 km/l = 12,5l/100km = 18,8 MPG (US) (Bundesautobahn, Landstraße, Stadt) nur noch auf der Straße, mit den 18-Zoll-Werksrädern. Ich rechne auch mit 10 km/l nach 5.000km mit eingefahrenem Motor und Reifen...

Last edited:

Pipm4000

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mine will do about 10,000 miles a year so probably £3000 in fuel. Generally normal cars really do 40 mpg so £1825 a year. Basically the Grenadier will have a £100 a month fuel penalty. I can live with that.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mine will do about 10,000 miles a year so probably £3000 in fuel. Generally normal cars really do 40 mpg so £1825 a year. Basically the Grenadier will have a £100 a month fuel penalty. I can live with that.
I will be going from average 5L/100km (56MPG or 47USMPG) in my Mercedes to 11L/100KM (25MPG or 21USMPG) in the Grenadier.
I expect to be doing about 25,000 km per year. (15,500 miles)
Diesel currently around AUD$2.00 per litre so cost around AUD$4,500 a year
That's about 2,370 pounds , USD$2,900 or 2,700 euro.
Every day last week I drove past large Kangaroos on the sides of the road and had to take longer routes to avoid gravel roads that my current vehicle can't use.
For the last few years I lived in the city and drove mostly on the motorway, or nice smooth roads, so my car on the left was built for purpose.
Now I live in the country and will be driving on country highways, backroads, gravel/dirt and mine access roads. So my Grenadier on the right is built for purpose.

1682891242375.png 1682891577596.png

Last edited:

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Want great uel consumption- buy a Nissan Leaf.

I currently have a 4.5L V8 TTD and my previous 4wd was a 4.7L V8 petrol, and I’m not ashamed to say I’ll miss it.

Unless I’m out in the desert and on fumes, then I might swear and curse a bit. 😉

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:46 AM
Reaction score

I currently have a 4.5L V8 TTD and my previous 4wd was a 4.7L V8 petrol, and I’m not ashamed to say I’ll miss it.

Unless I’m out in the desert and on fumes, then I might swear and curse a bit. 😉
I will miss my 200, but we all move on, I will still be able to drive mine occasionally, my son is buying it

jrchrds

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:46 PM
Reaction score

Unfortunately that kind of dismissive attitude ignores people who really use their vehicles for work- the "purpose" envisioned by Ineos. A leaf won't ford mexican or canadian rivers trying to get to remote spots, after driving 4 days on the interstate to get to this crossing spot. For people who only buy a grenadier to have the newest prettiest thing, you are right, gas mileage doesn't matter. For those that need a utility vehicle where there are only a few competitors in the same price and size arenas, gas mileage becomes a significant factor. We're already taking a risk buying an unproven vehicle with no support chain (though I was told Mexico in 2024) and no history of longevity.

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Fuel economy never crossed my mind to be honest. I daily drove a nissan patrol y61 (very similar to the gren in many aspects ) for proximately 10 years ( still have it great car 250k miles on the clock never missed a beat bought new ) if i am on my best behavior i can see 13l/100km . If the grenadier gets the same or better i will be happy . If it gets worse i would not care either . So a non issue for me . Fuel economy is always a compromise , if you want fuel economy maybe the gren is not for you . I think the gren is like that crazy girlfriend you had ( or still have ) who you put up with her craziness because she is unbelievably hot .
I am more than happy to put up with a lot from the gren :)

On a closing note discussing fuel economy after you bought the thing is like discussing the price of a steak after you ordered and ate it .

My 2 cents feel free to disagree:)

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For a few, low MPG will not matter one bit. Have to admit that if I don't see mid / high 20's from a run in, diesel variant driven carefully, I will be a tad disappointed.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
8:46 PM
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @curb-optional some people have been here for a while and are a bit jumpy waiting for their new vehicles and some just haven't taken their pills today, so don't take anything to heart.

All comments welcome and typos are the bane of my existence.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom