The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

How important is fuel economy to you?

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:55 AM
Reaction score
Besides we are talking about a car which is allowed to move 7000 kg on the road for me it’s about the efficiency. The Grenadier will be much more efficient with the diesel engine than with the petrol engine. On longer runs it will make a reasonable big difference. As the taxes for the petrol engine are only slightly lower and the insurance hopefully will not differ to much as well it is a no brainer to me.
also I might be able to pay the extra money for the petrol I am not keen to do so!

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As of now, the Disco consumes on mid range 7.8 - 8l / 100km, 29.6 US MPG / 34 UKMPG 2 years ago as the disco was still my company car and it had classic road tyres on it . consumption was perhaps 6.9 - to 7.5 100 kms instead. (33 USMPG).
For the moment I am staying to metric. - In the 80s of last century there was a rule of the thumb.. 0.5 litres per 100kg weight now, considering fuel effiency its difficult to calculate.. 0.3l /100km is current state of the art for an internal combustion engine.. per 100kg - weight.- Means a vehicle that has 2.5 metric tonnes weight - its about 8.3 l / 100km w/o payload. But theres aerodynamics, tyres, payload, driving behaviour etc..
The time I decided to order the Grenadier - all this went into consideration - I knew it would be around 10l 100km / perhaps more. Depending on what I drive..
Considering the time when I had to drive - I had to refuel the Disco twice per week, okay company was paying for .. so I did't care.
However I am not anymore 40.000kms a year on road - plus airline, plus train.. Nowadays I refuel once per month. ( okay last week I refueled twice because in the meantime I went on a always full scheme) Considering the number of kms driven in last 12 months its less than 6000kms versus 40.000 in the past. Going to the bakers store is done by foot - (even if its raining cats n dogs like now) There is no bad weather but poor garment.
Seriously - investing in a vehicle - thats 75kEur plus, Taxes, insurance, some maintenance cost.. so what.. a few litres diesel - and just 6000-10000 km pa - results anyway on a significant TCO (Total Cost of Ownership for @Jean Mercier ) per km / mile driven. When a normale write off - cycle is considered.
So considering TCO I must have been totally insane in a lot of peoples mind when I did the order. Why do you buy a car thats mostly standing around, bad fuel consumption and low number of gadgets, expensive etc.. no benefits high taxes.. ) Get another company car, a paid wall box for charging at home, every year a new one etc etc..
The IG serves a bunch of needs, hunting, special vacation, tow and a couple of things more.. it is an utility and not general purpose vehicle and as we have a ford focus station (turnier) diesel that consumes some 6.3l / 100km for the daily business. So what. Considering the Grenadier as a GP vehicle not an utility.. then I would probably have reconsidered. Comparing Range Rovers, Mercedes GLS, . Chevy SubUrban, Big Beamers and the Defender.. these are lifestyle vehicles. (Yeah perhaps is the IG a "lifestyle" vehicle too but different? ) - If you compare the picture where Grenadier and Defender parked in front of Cross Keys in Scotland? That exactly means the difference. The Grenadier is built to last. Thick metal. Okay there is a price tag on it. - Look at Defender, .. aggressive street look.. but plastic n gadget. Most of 'em will never see anything else but tarmac. Grenadier will live longer in action than any of these I predict.. At the end .. this will pay out.
Conclusion, - I expect the diesel on road in mix on my driving profile to somewhat 10-11 l / 100km - The BFGoodrich are not fuel efficent - and will be replaced by another type - perhaps General Grabbers . Even if the BF tyres are better.. but the Grabber work well in my purpose.. that will reduce the fuel cost a bit. - When towing I expect some 12l -13l 100kms but comparably rare occasion. And that is something I can easy live with. - Its hobby - it serves my hobby and my demand of purpose and that counts more. - In long term it will be acceptable and a rugged 4WD is always demanded - so I expect a good resale price on a well maintained IG even if there is decent mileage on it on the day I cannot drive anymore or my heirs when I was put 6 feet under.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
TCO (Total Cost of Ownership for @Jean Mercier ) per km / mile driven.
Thanks, that was one abbreviation I did know before being a member of this forum. :D (y)

FYI (For Your Information) my total cost of ownership for my Suzuki Grand Vitara is (today): 70600 euro with almost 210000 km, 10 years ownership, that's about the price I will pay for my Grenadier with "0 km".
It means my Suzuki did cost me 0.34 €/km, not that much!

This isn't corrected for inflation, it are net prices.

In percentage this is:
1675593676397.png
EDITED: new table, I had a mistake!

Attachments

• 1675593411133.png
    1675593411133.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 9

Efudd

Reservation Holder
Local time
2:55 AM
Reaction score
I’m usually more concerned about fuel tank size. It’s hard to fall asleep at the wheel if you have to stop for fill-ups all the time. Bigger tanks balance out fuel economy.

Hicarus

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:55 AM
Reaction score
Like TomD, I drag heavy things around or just shift them about and need that capability. therefore I have to accept the penalty of higher fuel usage than would otherwise be the case. I chose diesel primarily on the basis that diesel has a better chance of being economically available for a while yet, what with all the construction kit, generators and goods vehicles that are around. Yes, they will go 'green' at some point, but hopefully that will be when I have totally lost interest! Oh, and this E10 petrol stuff can only get worse.

As for Jean's comment ("Jesus", I prefer the metric system!), I'm that antique that I have to work both systems to survive. I do, though rest thankful that metric is widely used and that the world has standardised to a great extent. I spent many painful hours at school with yards & furlong, grains, pounds & ounces not to forget pennyweights, and the rest.
One of my long departed Father's friends, a university professor of engineering, was heard to comment when the metric system was introduced to the UK that we should adopt a Furlong/Pennyweight/Fortnight system. Now that really makes conversion calculations interesting!

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m usually more concerned about fuel tank size. It’s hard to fall asleep at the wheel if you have to stop for fill-ups all the time. Bigger tanks balance out fuel economy.
I hav no Problem with a tank stop after 6 hours of driving.
will get a coffee also!

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Upgrading from a nissan patrol y61 which in my hands does approximately 12-13L/100km i thought the gren was an upgrade :) . The only bit that i will miss is the diff locker , not a fan of the electronic one but we cannot have everything.

d1rty

Reservation Holder
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:55 AM
Reaction score
I have a V8 Tundra right now as my daily - I get about 12 MGP (US) around town, as much as 16 or so on the freeway. So while I've got a low bar for improvement, honestly, I was hoping the Grenadier gets 20+ (US) MPG on road trips. I guess we'll see.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:55 AM
Reaction score
Fuel economy never factored into my decision to pursue the Grenadier - it hasn’t in any of “my” vehicles 😏. Now, my wife’s car on the other hand, it mattered.

edit - full disclosure, my daily commute is 4 miles each way, my wife’s is 40.
My commute was 67 miles each way. I bought Kia Niro hybrid. 42-50 mpg. I parked the M5 (16MPG) and unfortunately, it won't crank now. :( I have to get it in sellable condition before I get the Grenadier, so probably have to get it running. It's been parked about 3 years now.

Retired now. No commute. MPG doesn't really factor much on the Grenadier. It's important but this is just a really expensive toy for me.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:55 PM
Reaction score
I stop every 2 hours whether I need to fill up or not, but there are quite a few places here in Australia where fuel stops are many hundreds of kilometres in between so maximising distance from a tank and minimising additional fuel containers is a big deal.

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:55 PM
Reaction score
My philosophy is
If I need fuel, I will pay for it.
If I need range, I will carry it.
My D2 uses 17-18 L/100 km highway mode, The IG is a fuel miser.

Znarfgh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:55 PM
Reaction score
My philosophy is
If I need fuel, I will pay for it.
If I need range, I will carry it.
My D2 uses 17-18 L/100 km highway mode, The IG is a fuel miser.
Whoa Hoss - that must be a V8 Disco as my Td5 gets a lot better even when towing my hybrid van.

For me fuel consumption is important from both a range and cost perspective. I use my vehicle to earn a living and my current vehicle, Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel, gives me around 10 - 15 Litres/100. The high end is towing at highway speeds. The JGC usually weighs in at around 2.6 tons and the hybrid 1.6 tons. The IG will probably be 3 tons with some gear in it and heavier if fully loaded and that will make fuel consumption higher than what I'm used to.

But, for me there is very little choice when my key criteria is applied: Straight six diesel engine (I'm over V's), ZF 8spd auto (as per my current drive), live axles (no independent suspension or IFS), minimal electronics, durability and serviceability. The IG meets quite a few of my criteria and fingers crossed, all of them.

jrchrds

Reservation Holder
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:55 AM
Reaction score
Fuel economy is a factor for me. I drive my Tacoma from middle America to Northern Canada, and south to the southern border of Mexico. These long trips cost thousands in fuel. I can't fly because of the amount and type of equipment (read large lithium batteries) that I have to transport. Right now I'm hovering around 15.8 to 17.3 MPG average on the long runs depending on where I got the fuel and what the wind conditions were like. (Fuel out of mexican milk jugs always give worse MPG.) We took our last trip in my wifes Toyota Prime vehicle, plugging in every night for 45 miles of free driving. Even with that little bit of help we got around 38MPG, at the expense of having to replace most of the shocks and some ripped off plastic wheel well trim at the end of the trip. (2021 model.) So not really a net win. When the US numbers for the Grenadier were looking more like 16 MPG (US) that was making me unhappy. 19MPG (US) unloaded is in my happy range. 24 MPG (US) where I expect the new hybrid Tacoma will be, would be really nice. At $3USD a gallon over the life of my Tacoma (presently 350,000 miles) that's a $11K difference in fuel. I'm hoping similar mileage from the grenadier, and gas prices will only increase. Just something to think about.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
As of now, the Disco consumes on mid range 7.8 - 8l / 100km, 29.6 US MPG / 34 UKMPG 2 years ago as the disco was still my company car and it had classic road tyres on it . consumption was perhaps 6.9 - to 7.5 100 kms instead. (33 USMPG).
For the moment I am staying to metric. - In the 80s of last century there was a rule of the thumb.. 0.5 litres per 100kg weight now, considering fuel effiency its difficult to calculate.. 0.3l /100km is current state of the art for an internal combustion engine.. per 100kg - weight.- Means a vehicle that has 2.5 metric tonnes weight - its about 8.3 l / 100km w/o payload. But theres aerodynamics, tyres, payload, driving behaviour etc..
The time I decided to order the Grenadier - all this went into consideration - I knew it would be around 10l 100km / perhaps more. Depending on what I drive..
Considering the time when I had to drive - I had to refuel the Disco twice per week, okay company was paying for .. so I did't care.
However I am not anymore 40.000kms a year on road - plus airline, plus train.. Nowadays I refuel once per month. ( okay last week I refueled twice because in the meantime I went on a always full scheme) Considering the number of kms driven in last 12 months its less than 6000kms versus 40.000 in the past. Going to the bakers store is done by foot - (even if its raining cats n dogs like now) There is no bad weather but poor garment.
Seriously - investing in a vehicle - thats 75kEur plus, Taxes, insurance, some maintenance cost.. so what.. a few litres diesel - and just 6000-10000 km pa - results anyway on a significant TCO (Total Cost of Ownership for @Jean Mercier ) per km / mile driven. When a normale write off - cycle is considered.
So considering TCO I must have been totally insane in a lot of peoples mind when I did the order. Why do you buy a car thats mostly standing around, bad fuel consumption and low number of gadgets, expensive etc.. no benefits high taxes.. ) Get another company car, a paid wall box for charging at home, every year a new one etc etc..
The IG serves a bunch of needs, hunting, special vacation, tow and a couple of things more.. it is an utility and not general purpose vehicle and as we have a ford focus station (turnier) diesel that consumes some 6.3l / 100km for the daily business. So what. Considering the Grenadier as a GP vehicle not an utility.. then I would probably have reconsidered. Comparing Range Rovers, Mercedes GLS, . Chevy SubUrban, Big Beamers and the Defender.. these are lifestyle vehicles. (Yeah perhaps is the IG a "lifestyle" vehicle too but different? ) - If you compare the picture where Grenadier and Defender parked in front of Cross Keys in Scotland? That exactly means the difference. The Grenadier is built to last. Thick metal. Okay there is a price tag on it. - Look at Defender, .. aggressive street look.. but plastic n gadget. Most of 'em will never see anything else but tarmac. Grenadier will live longer in action than any of these I predict.. At the end .. this will pay out.
Conclusion, - I expect the diesel on road in mix on my driving profile to somewhat 10-11 l / 100km - The BFGoodrich are not fuel efficent - and will be replaced by another type - perhaps General Grabbers . Even if the BF tyres are better.. but the Grabber work well in my purpose.. that will reduce the fuel cost a bit. - When towing I expect some 12l -13l 100kms but comparably rare occasion. And that is something I can easy live with. - Its hobby - it serves my hobby and my demand of purpose and that counts more. - In long term it will be acceptable and a rugged 4WD is always demanded - so I expect a good resale price on a well maintained IG even if there is decent mileage on it on the day I cannot drive anymore or my heirs when I was put 6 feet under.
If you fuel once a month in the Gren, petrol. All the way..

Back
Top Bottom