The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

How important is fuel economy to you?

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:28 PM
Reaction score
Unfortunately that kind of dismissive attitude ignores people who really use their vehicles for work- the "purpose" envisioned by Ineos. A leaf won't ford mexican or canadian rivers trying to get to remote spots, after driving 4 days on the interstate to get to this crossing spot. For people who only buy a grenadier to have the newest prettiest thing, you are right, gas mileage doesn't matter. For those that need a utility vehicle where there are only a few competitors in the same price and size arenas, gas mileage becomes a significant factor. We're already taking a risk buying an unproven vehicle with no support chain (though I was told Mexico in 2024) and no history of longevity.
And I would argue that if the vehicle is fit for your purpose then a difference of 3-4L per 100km (say the difference between perceived good and poor fuel economy) over say 20,000km/annum equates to about $1500 over a year which should hardly be significant based on the ability the vehicle has to earn its keep. If there are similar purchase options with better figures then maybe it’s a consideration but I wonder how many people use fuel economy as a deciding factor with this sort of purchase.
Double or triple the annual milage maybe it’s a consideration, but again perhaps not based on income earned and capacity to fulfill its purpose. I just find it amusing that lots of people buy a 3 tonne vehicle load it up to capacity and expect it to achieve the same fuel economy as a family sedan.

Now in your instance if you are doing huge miles a year, then yes it all adds up, but I’d suggest you are far from the normal buyer and less the target market for the IG.

Last edited:

PanoramaJJ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:28 AM
Reaction score
NOT IMPORTANT FOR ME.
My Camaro 6.2 (I sold it for the Ineos) had twelve to fourteen Liters/100 km - that was not a lot for 400 Horsepowers, and a weight of 1.9 tons.

My Toyota (4.2l Diesel, I will keep it for my Sahara Tours) needs twelve to fourteen Liters/100 km. It is 28 years old, 300tkm, Ex-UN-Car.

MOST IMPORTANT is for me, that you can drive the car WITHOUT any problems for a VERY LONG TIME!

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:28 AM
Reaction score
I am 56 years old, married and no kids - so my contribution to stopping global warming has been not to procreate.:) Thus I am happy at these mpg figures. I have a small VW Golf for running about.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
30,000 KMs a year minimum here, so, at 12+L/100km it will hurt the bank... but I am halfway retired so ill just keep working a little... 14L/100kms would suck though with AUS Diesel costs...

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I mentioned last week that I was doing a longer trip as I’ve only used it locally to this point.
This morning’s data.
Dry roads and 9c
77 mile trip
1 hour 15 mins
60.9 mph average
25.8 mpg average
i had the cruise control set at 70 mph for the bulk of the trip.
i‘ve done just under 475 miles since last Friday so still running in.

Im pretty chuffed with the economy and it’s a nice driving tool in terms of sitting in the driving position.

I’ve included the temperature screen as well for the same trip for reference

Attachments

• IMG_0913.jpeg
    IMG_0913.jpeg
    168.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0914.jpeg
    IMG_0914.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 28

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I mentioned last week that I was doing a longer trip as I’ve only used it locally to this point.
This morning’s data.
Dry roads and 9c
77 mile trip
1 hour 15 mins
60.9 mph average
25.8 mpg average

Im pretty chuffed with the economy and it’s a nice driving tool in terms of sitting in the driving position.

9c????
Isn't it almost summer there???

jrchrds

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:28 AM
Reaction score
And I would argue that if the vehicle is fit for your purpose then a difference of 3-4L per 100km (say the difference between perceived good and poor fuel economy) over say 20,000km/annum equates to about $1500 over a year which should hardly be significant based on the ability the vehicle has to earn its keep.

Now in your instance if you are doing huge miles a year, then yes it all adds up, but I’d suggest you are far from the normal buyer and less the target market for the IG.
We put 40K on our new Rav4 this year, about 25k of that would have been in the IG, had we had it. I do put huge miles on our vehicles, as we need a 4WD at remote locations, which seems to me exactly the market for the IG. Our fuel bill is on the order of 10-13K USD a year for travel only (the home mileage is all battery now), so the difference between 16 MPG US, and 24 MPG US is a significant expense.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ha, it was 19c on the way back…. Not summer quite yet
Well it is 3am here and my weather station tells me it is 14.1 degrees outside and 18.4 inside.
I am wearing slippers, warm trackies and a long sleeve T shirt.
Just put the heater on.
Winter is only 3 weeks away.
Water temperature is getting down as well so might be the last chance for a swim for a few months.

1683219260314.png1683219427516.png

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well it is 3am here and my weather station tells me it is 14.1 degrees outside and 18.4 inside.
I am wearing slippers, warm trackies and a long sleeve T shirt.
Just put the heater on.
Winter is only 3 weeks away.
Water temperature is getting down as well so might be the last chance for a swim for a few months.

View attachment 7810455View attachment 7810456
We’re at the time of year where you can have four seasons in a day.. possibly the end of any frosts but not quite shorts weather a definitely not swimmers.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This morning’s data.
Dry roads and 9c
77 mile trip
1 hour 15 mins
60.9 mph average
25.8 mpg average

I assume this is Diesel?

Local time
12:28 AM
Reaction score
Fuel consumption has never been a factor in my vehicle choice, but I commute by bicycle most days.

Though, some extra economy will be a nice change for off-road and road trip range. My current rig gets about 8mpg loping along trails in low range.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
3:28 AM
Reaction score
Economy is a consideration for me, it always is, some would consider me tight 😃

However it’s not a worry as I think I will only be doing about 5000 miles a year in the IG. So it’s not going to break the bank. I have considered if a remap for economy would be useful if one became available but then you have to consider that the price of the map would probably take me at least 12 months to get back before I even started to save.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I travelled 233kms round trip yesterday for work which is a pretty normal day 3-4 days a week.
All country road and two lane highway, with lots of roadworks.
30 minute site meeting in Gin Gin then a 1 hour meeting with a customer outside a bakery in Childers while enjoying a pie and a coffee with him.
Potential $400K per year new customer.
This will be the typical use for the Grenadier when it arrives

1683229666187.png

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I travelled 233kms round trip yesterday for work which is a pretty normal day 3-4 days a week.
All country road and two lane highway, with lots of roadworks.
30 minute site meeting in Gin Gin then a 1 hour meeting with a customer outside a bakery in Childers while enjoying a pie and a coffee with him.
Potential $400K per year new customer.
This will be the typical use for the Grenadier when it arrives

View attachment 7810513
Dave - can't you sleep ?

800km per week - I assume work pays you a per KM amount or allowance or you deduct against your tax.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Dave - can't you sleep ?

800km per week - I assume work pays you a per KM amount or allowance or you deduct against your tax.
I sleep in short bursts
9-midnight
4 am to 5.30 am
Maybe a 15 minute nap during the day.
I get $18,000 a year to provide and maintain car and pay for fuel.
My accountant then decides which is the best way to claim
I also get to claim rego, insurance, maintenance, tyres etc on tax
At the moment also interest on loan but as I will buy the Grenadier outright that will go.

Back
Top Bottom