The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

How important is fuel economy to you?

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:42 AM
Reaction score
I had a 2009 M3 for several years. Got 12 MPG. When our 3rd kid came along I decided I needed a bigger car and opted for a new 2013 4Runner. 17/22 sounded great for such a big car. Best I've ever seen on it is 17 on a long highway trip. Usually get 11.4 in town. Lesson learned. EPA ratings can't be trusted and with mostly short commutes I no longer care about MPG. It would take years to save money in gas with a more efficient car/truck.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:42 AM
Reaction score
I had a 2009 M3 for several years. Got 12 MPG. When our 3rd kid came along I decided I needed a bigger car and opted for a new 2013 4Runner. 17/22 sounded great for such a big car. Best I've ever seen on it is 17 on a long highway trip. Usually get 11.4 in town. Lesson learned. EPA ratings can't be trusted and with mostly short commutes I no longer care about MPG. It would take years to save money in gas with a more efficient car/truck.
Or higher fuel prices…

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Fuel consumption only matters to me regarding the costs, if they increase significantly like end of 2023/beginning of 2023. Regarding the environment I assume it is more of importance how much fuel burning cars run at all and the increasing number of people who can afford to drive cars. Adding a car which consumes 5 litres adds more to the bill than saving 0,2 litres in one car, especially in comparison to the effort of getting this done. Of course, such savings ends up with a significant number globally, as well, but to get less fuel burned traffic concepts are necessary, not 0,2 liter less fuel consumption. In addition, to achieve these savings in the real world, everybody has to drive accordingly.

What makes sense from the cost perspective is what transportation companies do. They monitor their drivers and all the driving conditions. Then they automatically rate the drivers if they drive in a way to reduce fuel consumption. If not, they will be send to a training. If you run 1700 trucks, that makes a nice saving at the months end, if your drivers know how to save fuel.

In regard to 4x4's or better real 4x4's I assume the global number is low compared to what is driving on streets. And a 4x4 needs power, especially if it has to carry a huge weight. Saving fuel in small numbers on these cars will not have an effect (except in your purse).

AWo

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:42 AM
Reaction score
What's the fuel consumption like in their diesel at highway speed 100km/60mph?

Highwayman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What's the fuel consumption like in their diesel at highway speed 100km/60mph?
I’m 1,300 miles in. Average consumption so far is 23.9 mpg (UK) gallons. By my calculations (could be wrong!) that equates to 11.9L/100km

Motorway speeds were probably faster (70 ish) or stuck in traffic. So if you stick to 60mph, I would expect you would see circa 26 mpg

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:42 AM
Reaction score
I am confident that once the OFFICIAL EPA numbers for NA spec are released (in the early fall I believe) they will be above the 15 mpg listed in the current brochure. Manufacturers can get away with listing numbers below the real MPG but would get screwed if they come under what the suggest. The 23.9 Brit MPG listed above is nearly 20 mpg US; I'd wager that the NA highway number will be about 18 mpg. First off you might think "well that's only 3 mpg more" (which may not seem like much) until you consider it's a 20% increase.

Tanters

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think the gren is like that crazy girlfriend you had ( or still have ) who you put up with her craziness because she is unbelievably hot .
I am more than happy to put up with a lot from the gren :)

👀OMG I used this very same argument last night when justifying the purchase, to my wife ……. I think she understood 🤪😂

• Haha
Reactions: PBD

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had to laugh at the name of this thread - if fuel economy were important to us - we would not be buying the aerodynamic equivalent of a large house
Oh come on! It’s not a large house.

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
What tank range are people getting from both petrol and diesel versions?

I ask because some of the cars for sale are showing crazy low ranges, is it because they are such low mileage and the computers haven’t had chance to work it out properly yet or is it another software glitch? I don’t believe that this petrol car is expecting 104 miles out of a near full tank unless it’s been lapping silverstone!

EFE90EB3-DB36-4E27-A47C-E71C1B9550EA.jpeg

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I ask because some of the cars for sale are showing crazy low ranges, is it because they are such low mileage and the computers haven’t had chance to work it out properly yet or is it another software glitch? I don’t believe that this petrol car is expecting 104 miles out of a near full tank unless it’s been lapping silverstone!

View attachment 7814898
Filled mine up this morning. 304 mile range according to screen. Done the figures after this fill up and getting 19.2 mpg (imperial). Mixed motorway 70 mph and rural roads. No off road as yet.

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Filled mine up this morning. 304 mile range according to screen. Done the figures after this fill up and getting 19.2 mpg (imperial). Mixed motorway 70 mph and rural roads. No off road as yet.
Thirsty enough, I assume that’s petrol?

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thirsty enough, I assume that’s petrol?
Yes petrol And I love it. It’s seriously fast compared to and previous vehicles I’ve had, super smooth and sounds great. Should be good in the sand dunes of Southern Africa with all that power. My Defender 2.2 tdci only averaged around 20mpg although that was with a big roof tent on (Bundutop)

Reactions: JOB

Highwayman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7814898Th
The predicted range is based on average fuel consumption. If, in your attached picture, the car had only covered 48 miles, it’s highly likely the car has been started and left running, or stop start manoeuvring in the compound. This will reflect in the predicted range.

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes the fuel info is crazy: take over with red warning : nearly empty, still 30l in. Fill up at petrol station, range > 300 km, OK, with 90 l should be possible😂, now around 300km driven, 3/4 left, range to go 300km….mhhh,
We will see on Friday, we go the 1400 km to Scotland on vacation. Keep you informed about consumption……

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:42 AM
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but a digital fuel gauge seems like a worse idea than a digital dipstick.

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think the fuel economy seems a little underwhelming to say it’s running an 8 speed ‘box, even considering the weight.

I had the trailer on the back of my Td6 Range Rover for almost 400 miles on Saturday and it did 22.3mpg. It’s almost 20 years old and has a 5 speed auto. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom