The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

How do we feel about sexist remarks on the forum ?

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:55 PM
Reaction score
Is it just me that has noticed ? Seems like the occasional sexist comment are spreading a bit.

Personally, I can take it, but would rather leave it.

I'm just a visitor to this website but have spent enough time on here learning and enjoying that I think it's worth bringing the point up. I don't think there has been any malice intended in any posts or remarks. But I do think some remarks or "jokes" invoking women could cause offence to some without the writer realising it. So the less of it, probably the better.

I like the international flavour of this site and would like it to be a comfortable place for everyone, new and old.

Maybe I have it wrong, just saying ...
I agree mainly with Painter, he isn't wrong.

There is also another issue: there are quite some jokes that are "puns". I had to look up that last word, because English isn't my mother tongue (in Dutch: "woordspeling", in French "calembour").
For the non native English speakers, some of these "pun jokes" are not understandable. Sometimes I try to understand them by Googling, but I don't always succeed to find the explanation.

Anyway, some laughing and less serious stuff makes this forum also attractive, so, let's find a good balance, without offending other people, countries, beliefs, etc. Difficult but not impossible.

PanoramaJJ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
> But I do think some remarks or "jokes" invoking women could cause offence to some without the writer realising it.

I think that's part of the the highly praised internationality in this forum and that it is thus unlikely to allow us to find a boundary that is equally appropriate for all cultures.

So why shouldn't someone who doesn't think something is OK simply formulate that directly as a response?

A general ban on any kind of flippancy would otherwise hang like a sword of Damocles over everything that could even remotely affect the sensitivity of another. But that's exactly what you have to accept in an international forum: That there are other standards than one's own, be it downwards or upwards.

That's why I think it's better to show respect in general for a personally given answer of the one who is bothered by a contribution. I find that much better than a fundamental restriction a la taliban.

On such occasions, I usually also ask myself whether in what way someone has a problem with contributions which are questionable from his personal point of view, that he might eventually find primarily with himself.

By the way, I wonder who is actually left as a "suspect" if you subtract here all those who have responded so approvingly.

Please note that this is my general position, I am explicitly not pointing to some particular person.

The question was "How do we feel about sexist remarks on the forum ?"

And that's my answer.
YOU ARE RIGHT. That´s my answer, too. Thank you!

Local time
8:55 AM
Reaction score
We can all self-moderate.
I have posted and replied to some questionable posts and accepted that I need to be more considerate to others and be a bit more careful on what I post.
There is no need for reporting and telling the teacher
Agreed, why can't this be handled like adults? Oh wait.
In all seriousness, at this stage, there's no need for a nanny.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:55 PM
Reaction score
I think as previously mentioned on this forum, lets leave political discussions out of it entirely.

However having a bit of cheeky fun is what makes this place seem like being at a bar with some good friends!

I know people are quite fragile these days, but let's not start "reporting" each other for jokes please.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:55 AM
Reaction score
Is MERRY CHRISTMAS ok? As I can't get my head round HAPPY HOLIDAYS. Especially, as the break in December was initially meant to support Christs birth.
I am completely atheist but take no offence to people celebrating their religious holidays and using their terminology whatever it is.
I also can't use the term happy holidays
However before the Christians took over 25th December in the 4th century it was a pagan festival for hundreds of years and a celebration of Yuletide by many nations.
Sounds like a good time for a drink and family feast to me

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Nomad for me definitely! Even if this can be considered as politically and offensive to certain groups.
To me this is simply yours. It refers to Mr. jehosua bin Yusuf´s Birth.. although „the book„ refers the time of birth to a much warmer period of year. This is the time of Io Saturnalia in Latin and Celtic Winter Solstice .. Just adopted.. but doesn´t matter.
I am not much in institutional religion but respect faith. I prefer to discuss topics directly with my boss. ;)

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:55 AM
Reaction score
I'm very much in favour of creating an inclusive community here.

In reading the responses, it looks like some folks are worried about our community rules being "too politically correct", but may I suggest that we think of this a little differently?

In my view, it's not about "politically correct". It's not about a culture war between Conservatives and Liberals that media moguls make billions from perpetrating. It's not about people taking away folks' right to express themselves. It's about making a family-friendly, welcoming community for Grenadier enthusiasts of all stripes. I'd like this to be a community that my wife and son would be willing to participate in. I'd like my mother to be able to join if she's got a Grenadier. I'd like my Cree brother to be able to participate here. I'd like my family who identify as LGBTQ to know they are welcome here too. I'd like my friends who experience physical disabilities but are keen on the modifiability of the Gren for their unique needs to be able to pony up to the forums here and talk that through with all of us as a resource. If a person is interested in owning, driving, or talking about the Grenadier, I'd like this to be the place for them and for all of us, and I'd like them to feel that way too, and certain types of jokes and humour can take away from that a bit.

In short. I'd like this to be the kind of place where it doesn't matter who you are, if you are respectful (And have a passion for the Grenadier) then you are welcome here.

The majority of people who fit that description -- respectful and passionate about the Grenadier -- will be folks a lot like me, which basically means "a bunch of dudes". That creates a situation where the jokes and humour can get decidedly "lad-ish", and that "lad humour" can be the opposite of respectful. But there's no reason we can't just be conscious of that and self-manage. As an example of what I'm picturing -- For the most part, Pixar movies are fun and entertaining for all ages. They have jokes that may lean more to wards innuendo for the parents, but nothing that'd cause upset to a reasonable parent watching it with their kids. That is inherently different than the kind of banter you'd expect at a local pub full of guys who love trucks. There's lots of places where "boys can be boys"; there's not a lot of places where car enthusiasts from every stripe and walk of life are free to have a seat at the table and shoot the breeze with folks who are passionate about the same specific car that they are passionate about. There's lots of communities that are like the pubs, but not a lot that are like the Pixar movies.

Exclusion is often accidental, but inclusion is fairly easy when we have a shared understanding of what the outcome is - and for me, that's a community where everyone feels like they have a spot to chat about a really cool car, no matter who they are.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@ChasingOurTrunks indeed. The original post about sexism - which is a subset of PC like any other topic how to adress ethnic or religious topics. Sometimes I think PC is a religion of itself. - Been a couple of times in pubs and restaurants close to motorways (Autobahn) - where truck / hgv drivers usually take a rest (breakfast etc). There is a language a PC person may faint. (Used by both sexes) The term "gender" I do not want to use here for obvious reasons.

What I 've learnt here.. silicon is not much liked here. instead humans as mother nature created, real life, real nature, real vehicles.. and common sense.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I
@ChasingOurTrunks indeed. The original post about sexism - which is a subset of PC like any other topic how to adress ethnic or religious topics. Sometimes I think PC is a religion of itself. - Been a couple of times in pubs and restaurants close to motorways (Autobahn) - where truck / hgv drivers usually take a rest (breakfast etc). There is a language a PC person may faint. (Used by both sexes) The term "gender" I do not want to use here for obvious reasons.

What I 've learnt here.. silicon is not much liked here. instead humans as mother nature created, real life, real nature, real vehicles.. and common sense.
I put on weight, let my hair go gray and stopped going out to night clubs because I got sick and tired of women treating me as a sex object.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My mistress says the speedos I wear are by far the best contraceptive I've tried
I was in Sydney last April on a work function and after the Sydney harbour cruise we went to an Irish pub,
The women were clearly drunk and one came up to me after getting rejected by one of my younger, taller better looking work mates., and started to ply her wares.
I said to her "I am at least 30, possibly 40, years older than you. "
A woman standing near said "I am 48, would you like to buy me a drink"
Clearly very drunk

1671012798076.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom