The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Help-Instrument Illumination Not Working- New Grenadier

Stryder

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:38 PM
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I received my grenadier earlier today and it’s fantastic, other than the fact that none of the instrument panel lights work. It’s pitch black at night other than the touchscreen. The radio, AC, seat heater etc have no lights. They are set to 50% but are not lit and nothing happens when I raise or lower it through the touch screen. The closest dealer is 4 hours away! Any suggestions? Thanks.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:38 PM
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I received my grenadier earlier today and it’s fantastic, other than the fact that none of the instrument panel lights work. It’s pitch black at night other than the touchscreen. The radio, AC, seat heater etc have no lights. They are set to 50% but are not lit and nothing happens when I raise or lower it through the touch screen. The closest dealer is 4 hours away! Any suggestions? Thanks.
I assume that you have switched on the headlights.

Stryder

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So, I promise I’m not this dense but how do you turn on the headlights anymore than the daytime lights
The headlights were automatically on, or maybe it was just daytime running lights and I thought they were on….? I’ll double check! Thanks!
hahaha, thanks man, that was the problem. I was searching for every light on the console but didn’t look at the indicator stems! It was just the daytime lights that were on! Phew!

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So, I promise I’m not this dense but how do you turn on the headlights anymore than the daytime lights?
The headlights are controlled by the left stalk - it's a turn/twist knob.

Stryder

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This is were the acronym RTFM comes in handy
another one I love is that in order to go into reverse, you have to move the BMW gear selector forward 🤦‍♂️. Is that the German engineering everyone is talking about? Sometimes it’s just easier to ask rather than look up confusing directions that don’t make any rational sense. In fact it’s pretty much the entire point of this forum.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:38 PM
Reaction score
another one I love is that in order to go into reverse, you have to move the BMW gear selector forward 🤦‍♂️. Is that the German engineering everyone is talking about? Sometimes it’s just easier to ask rather than look up confusing directions that don’t make any rational sense. In fact it’s pretty much the entire point of this forum.
That got me at first, not having driven BMWs. It took me weeks of use before it became intuitive, I still have to stop and think sometimes if manoeuvring in a tight space with a trailer

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
another one I love is that in order to go into reverse, you have to move the BMW gear selector forward 🤦‍♂️. Is that the German engineering everyone is talking about?
Blame ZF, they designed the shifter specifically for their transmission... BMW just uses it

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:38 PM
Reaction score
Hi Stryder, I remember when LandRover decided to change how their shifter worked from one Range Rover year to another one year. Everything was just the opposite. Took me a couple month to get used to the reversal.

I have a New 2020 Defender currently, (will be selling is soon), and I have never liked how that shifter operates or how it looks either. Does not seamlessly function. The shifter in the Grenadier took just a little time to adapt too and now I love using it. For me it is smooth and seamless in engaging each position and grear. It reminds me of a helicopter cyclic control handle, which is fitting for the aviation style cockpit.
DaBull

alexandruast

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:38 PM
Reaction score
It makes perfect rational sense, if you think momentum. It's the same reason you downshift on manual by pushing the selector away from you and downshift by pulling towards you. With the BMW shifter, you can actually balance the car out of a mudhole, and it works almost 100% as efficient as a manual transmission in this regard. Which is almost impossible in a Land Cruiser 300 or Prado, you lose all momentum.

Local time
8:38 PM
Reaction score
It's the same on the new Defender. You'd think that in order to drive in reverse you would pull the lever back, but you push it forwards.

After 16 months it's still not intuitive. Last week l had someone walk in front of the vehicle while l was doing a turn in the road, l put it into reverse without thinking and nearly ran him over as l had actually put it into D.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom