The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Head lights and snowing

moehni

Production/Transit
Local time
12:47 PM
Reaction score
Hello,
a couple of days ago I drove through heavy snowfall. After a few minutes I recognized a loss of power from the headlights. At first I thought of a defect (and wanted to blaim the software), but then I imagined what could had happened. It became so dark on the road with only a minimal output of the headlights I had to stop and took a look at the front. And indeed, the headlights were crusted in snow. So it is an issue because of the upright position, and there is no solution to it. It does not snow often here in our region, so I can live with it. But the Jean Mercier in me wants to solve this issue. Because of the similarity to the G-Class it would be possible to mount a washing-device near the headlights, exactly like MB.
Do you think this is a good idea or overkill? But driving in the dark on a highway was an expereince I don´t want to have regularly.

Attachments

• tempImageEsv6nF.jpg
    tempImageEsv6nF.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 31
  • tempImageKPA5kX.jpg
    tempImageKPA5kX.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2570.mov
    3.4 MB

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
It is not an issue here (mid Germany) for 350 days a year, and in some years not an issue at all. But it in fact means, that you can NOT go anywhere with your Grenadier: Iceland, Scandinavia, the Alps ...?

For a car as modern as the Grenadier, I consider this annoying. (n)

If there are transparent heating foils, I would try such a foil. But that's just a guess. 🤷‍♂️

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:47 AM
Reaction score
Happened on our GX for the first time last year. Exact same issue. We had close to an inch of ice build up on the glass. I think that is a problem with LED, they simply don't get hot enough to keep the ice from building. Not sure what the solution would be.
Maybe some sort of heating element/grid that fits over the top?

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:47 AM
Reaction score
Hello,
a couple of days ago I drove through heavy snowfall. After a few minutes I recognized a loss of power from the headlights. At first I thought of a defect (and wanted to blaim the software), but then I imagined what could had happened. It became so dark on the road with only a minimal output of the headlights I had to stop and took a look at the front. And indeed, the headlights were crusted in snow. So it is an issue because of the upright position, and there is no solution to it. It does not snow often here in our region, so I can live with it. But the Jean Mercier in me wants to solve this issue. Because of the similarity to the G-Class it would be possible to mount a washing-device near the headlights, exactly like MB.
Do you think this is a good idea or overkill? But driving in the dark on a highway was an expereince I don´t want to have regularly.
I think it is more to do with the outside lens temperature of LED lights rather than being upright.

Local time
Reaction score
Snow build-up is a common issue with Jeep Wranglers, and will likely be common with the Grenadier for the same two reasons: (1) vertical headlight that is also a bit recessed (forming a snow trap), and (2) the use of LED lights that do not generate much heat.

If you frequently drive in conditions that lead to snow build-up on your headlights, one possible solution is to replace them with something like a JW Speaker headlight that has a heating element. The heater usually comes on automatically when the sensor detects temps below freezing, but some could be wired so that the heating element had a driver-operated on/off switch. I had JW Speaker headlights in my Jeep, and they were excellent. They are built for off-roading, as well as lighting up the night. Another very good aftermarket headlight company for rough 4x4 use is Truck-Lite, probably as good as JW Speaker, but a little cheaper.

There was some discussion of this issue about a year ago on this forum here:

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The old halogen lights produced so much heat that they would melt the snow, LED’s are much cooler. Here the build up.

pete54

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Last drive in my fantastic discovery 4 today (before selling tomorrow)- early rise in Edinburgh (5am) for a wedding in Fife (catering gig - bbq weather!). Went to sleep with the forecast showing -2 to -3 (centigrade) and clear but woke up to fairly heavy snowfall for 30 miles. Obviously caught the gritters on the hop as lane slow single traffic. Lights got dimmer as snow built up but never a real issue. Also toasty warm inside and sure footed. Switch to the Grenadier on Tuesday. Hopefully it will cope with standard Scottish weather without need for comment!

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
3:47 AM
Reaction score
Fwiw rain-x degrades optical performance. Probably won't matter on a headlight.

Someone put that on one of our engineering vehicles at work and we immediately noticed that the cameras we have behind the windshield degraded more than expected in rain. Hard for human eyes to see but the camera picks up a smearing effect that really messed with it in a way that had unintended results as the neural network tried to analyze the image.

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Fwiw rain-x degrades optical performance. Probably won't matter on a headlight.

Someone put that on one of our engineering vehicles at work and we immediately noticed that the cameras we have behind the windshield degraded more than expected in rain. Hard for human eyes to see but the camera picks up a smearing effect that really messed with it in a way that had unintended results as the neural network tried to analyze the image.
So at the Grenny we have no Camera😁
I used an italian brand: Allchem 467 Glass cleaner and protector.
At the moment with good result! I put it on our Audi TTRS and on my BMW 5series, both with camera. No negative impact until now.

Back
Top Bottom