The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Are headlights supposed to be heated?

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:50 PM
Reaction score
Standard 7" lights don't talk on the canbus.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Standard 7" lights don't talk on the canbus.
Do we know for a fact that the headlights do? From what I remember they are triggered by traditional 12v, not data/CANBUS

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Do we know for a fact that the headlights do? From what I remember they are triggered by traditional 12v, not data/CANBUS
I do not - but I'd be amazed if they don't. I thought just about everything in modern cars were canbus.

Isn't an engineer from the light mfgrs company on here?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I do not - but I'd be amazed if they don't. I thought just about everything in modern cars were canbus.

Isn't an engineer from the light mfgrs company on here?
Just checked on it, the headlights are triggered by regular 12v (through relays)

Local time
Reaction score
Well, nothing is perfect. It's a commonly damaged part in a fender bender I'd rather not have be proprietary when Ineos shits the bed 5 years from now, and they could'a spent design cash on revising the ugly BMW shifter turd... at least the chinese are amazing at doing small production runs cheap. I just had one of our Merc vans in for repairs after it took out a nice 10 point buck. The Merc headlight assembly was 1200 dollars, but since the rig had 150k on the odometer, it no longer matched the right side assembly. I like our rigs to look neat and tidy, so I bought non oem for 250 for the other side. I couldn't tell the difference in my hand, and the fella issued the truck says he cant tell a difference at night. LED and laser ships are really quite cheap. I bet theres a difference in the materials that will show with road wear, but we shall see.

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:50 PM
Reaction score
Maybe you could install a heating pad -, as this in the picture, around the headlights? Or at least close to the headlights.... It's 12volt - 50w. And not that expensive...

Attachments

• 271005499.jpg
    271005499.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 8

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Rest assured, if this becomes any kind of a real issue, the aftermarket will step in.

Decades of LR ownership have set my viewpoint to always a glass half-full. You won’t catch me crying, or throwing my arms up in the air in 10-years. There is always a way forward, and contingency plans when this proves difficult.

Local time
7:50 PM
Reaction score
At -35°C icing of the windscreen outside is not an real or often happening issue, is it? The outside air is so dry, there is no humidity to ice something, when you're already down to that temperature for some time. It may ice if the car stood somewhere some time.

At --40°C my windscreen iced from the inside. Humidity taken into the inside of the car by shoes and your breath settled down on the windscreen (and all other screens)

Cheers
AWo
I was not talking abot humidity but "headlight glass cracks " discussed earlier.

AWo

Local time
8:50 PM
Reaction score
Cracked? Broken? Has that happened?

AWo

Back
Top Bottom