The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

HDC Variable speed

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:45 AM
Reaction score
Items for off road use are on the overhead panel. But when you want to find the photos you can't! But in respect of you first comment, I have had Discoverys with HDC for more than 20 years, and you could count on one hand the number of times I've used it because of necessity
I have an LC200 with crawl control, its the next best thing to lockers and its got me out of some sticky (and sandy) situations, only twice used going down hill, turned it off as it made a racket! used 1st low instead

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:45 PM
Reaction score
Items for off road use are on the overhead panel. But when you want to find the photos you can't! But in respect of you first comment, I have had Discoverys with HDC for more than 20 years, and you could count on one hand the number of times I've used it because of necessity
Hi Eric, I feel the same way. Today I still love to ride my Disco 2. When I bought it more than 20 years ago, I really wanted to try the HDC. That was a big flop. I wanted to drive down the hill in my meadow and, as instructed, I didn't use the brake, clutch or accelerator. The HDC did nothing. The tyres slid on the wet meadow and the Disco accelerated like a sledge. You can't do anything except hold the steering wheel. Luckily I had the horse gate open so I could coast. Otherwise my Disco would have been slightly deformed.
Moreover, I never had the need for the HDC again.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:45 PM
Reaction score
Hi Eric, I feel the same way. Today I still love to ride my Disco 2. When I bought it more than 20 years ago, I really wanted to try the HDC. That was a big flop. I wanted to drive down the hill in my meadow and, as instructed, I didn't use the brake, clutch or accelerator. The HDC did nothing. The tyres slid on the wet meadow and the Disco accelerated like a sledge. You can't do anything except hold the steering wheel. Luckily I had the horse gate open so I could coast. Otherwise my Disco would have been slightly deformed.
Moreover, I never had the need for the HDC again.
HDC can't beat the laws of physics. Didn't early HDC not have a way to adjust the speed, or a very low range of adjustment?

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
HDC can't beat the laws of physics. Didn't early HDC not have a way to adjust the speed, or a very low range of adjustment?
Hi DCPU, you are absolutely right. No, you can't adjust the speed on this type. It was preset.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:45 AM
Reaction score
Some HDC systems also use the hydraulic brake pressure accumulator and employ the ABS which can set up a dreadful racket (e.g. my previous (DM model) faux AWD Hyundai SF diesel...not so much with the later TM model) . The efficiency of the Grenadier compression braking in low gear / low range and even low gear/high range without resorting to HDC I would think has a lot to do with the clever algorithms employed in the engine's variable valve timing (VANOS). I didn't get to use the variable HDC, but as others have also reported, a "feet off pedals" experience in low gear/low range as the vehicle walked its way down a steep slope was most reassuring.

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi, I have just got my vehicle back and I have been trying out the hill descent control set up. I am finding that all works as expected in H mode but in L it does not seem to me that I can use the cruise control buttons to adjust the descent rate. Has anyone else had this?

Looking on the internet about the descent control I came across Ingemar’s video. It doesn’t explicitly address my enquiry above but the inference is that the buttons should work with L mode but interestingly it also shows a screen option that I have yet to come across see c2:45minutes in on
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfy5SAIkiC0

Has anyone else seen this screen or know how to access it? It does not come up automatically for me in off-road mode (Ingemar suggests it does for him)

Back
Top Bottom