The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

HDC Variable speed

Local time
12:00 AM
Reaction score
Hi All

Just picked this up from Facebook I take it via the cruse control buttons .

"Great day today at the Glanusk test drive proper off-road course, this time a lot of the overhead panel buttons worked as well as the diff locks, hill descent was a a eye opener as not seen it fitted with speed altering button before allowing you to increase or decrease descent speed."

"No it is the left hand button on the wheel, very intuitive and so effective"

Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:00 AM
Reaction score
Hi All

Just picked this up from Facebook I take it via the cruse control buttons .

"Great day today at the Glanusk test drive proper off-road course, this time a lot of the overhead panel buttons worked as well as the diff locks, hill descent was a a eye opener as not seen it fitted with speed altering button before allowing you to increase or decrease descent speed."

"No it is the left hand button on the wheel, very intuitive and so effective"
I had that on my Mazda bT50.
With HDC on you adjusted the speed with cruise control buttons on wheel

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:00 PM
Reaction score
Interesting. I have not heard much about the HDC at all but people have raved about how the truck will gradually walk itself down in 1-low.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
New Landrover vehicles have it and my Amarok can be adjusted using the brakes or the accelerator. If I brake I can take it down to about 1mph when I let off the pedal or accelerate at I can make it go a bit faster.

I find it quite handy tbh, so will appreciate something a bit more refined on the IG

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting. I have not heard much about the HDC at all but people have raved about how the truck will gradually walk itself down in 1-low.
I put it in 4L 1st gear manual last Saturday on a damp slippery reasonably steep hill and feet off the pedals it drove slowly down at never lost grip at all.
That was in the diesel so really good engine braking
Vehicle behind me did it in 4H and had to use the brakes all the way down.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I put it in 4L 1st gear manual last Saturday on a damp slippery reasonably steep hill and feet off the pedals it drove slowly down at never lost grip at all.
That was in the diesel so really good engine braking
If you can do what the test pilot does at 20 seconds in , down a hill , I'm impressed. I'm not easily impressed btw.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Pretty damned impressive what that machine can do without all the fancy electronics it's replacement has today
Apart from the slowness and racket inside , I've never found my series 3 less than able!
When you consider where they took them across all continents , it's a testament to the engineering and robustness.

Local time
Reaction score
Tried it on a recent test drive with the grenadier and it worked very well no drones and creates like in other LR products

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:00 AM
Reaction score
If you can do what the test pilot does at 20 seconds in , down a hill , I'm impressed. I'm not easily impressed btw.
And all done with white collars and ties :LOL: (y)

The the poor guy in the back is bouncing around like a superball.
Mr. Bean would have put a chair on the bonnet and tied ropes to the wheel.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Wasn't it first introduced on the Freelander? It was actually a third party system (Bosch?) but JLR called it their own.
That is my recollection as well, since the Freelander had no low box. It's a neat system and one that is now on trucks and SUVs across the globe (including my GMC 1500). But, JLR's electrics are sketchy at best, so I am glad I've never relied upon HDC to get me out of somewhere steep.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:00 AM
Reaction score
HDC isn't that impressive IMO especially if you can drive properly to the conditions, HAC......well that would be fantastic IF the IG has it, I did hear it did at one stage but haven't seen or heard anything lately.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
HDC isn't that impressive IMO especially if you can drive properly to the conditions, HAC......well that would be fantastic IF the IG has it, I did hear it did at one stage but haven't seen or heard anything lately.
Yeah I posted on the the other day - the brochure says it has hill assist but I couldn’t see a button anywhere.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
"Uphill Assist, meanwhile, automatically holds the Grenadier in position
after the driver releases the handbrake, and provides added safety when tackling steeper
terrain."

From the press kit April 22.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It had it, and was demonstrated, on the PTO2 that I drove at Floors Castle in Scotland a few months ago. To be honest I can't remember were the switch is but was clearly marked.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It had it, and was demonstrated, on the PTO2 that I drove at Floors Castle in Scotland a few months ago. To be honest I can't remember were the switch is but was clearly marked.
Thanks Eric, good to know

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
"Uphill Assist, meanwhile, automatically holds the Grenadier in position
after the driver releases the handbrake, and provides added safety when tackling steeper
terrain."

From the press kit April 22.
Up hill assist would be different from HAC as it doesn't hold it, it actively moves the car forward

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks Eric, good to know
Items for off road use are on the overhead panel. But when you want to find the photos you can't! But in respect of you first comment, I have had Discoverys with HDC for more than 20 years, and you could count on one hand the number of times I've used it because of necessity

Back
Top Bottom