The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

HDC screen

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:24 AM
Reaction score
I prefer the speed indication of the GPS of my phone. This is almost 100% correct. The speed indicator of the car itself (through the OBD) has a fault margin of around 5%.

Because I like to drive as fast as possible within the allowed speed limit + fault margin of the police (when it's safe to do so of course).
In Belgium, on the motorways/highway speed is limited to 120 km/h. It is known (appears sometimes in the press) that Police also has some fault tolerance. On the motorways you get a fine when you drive 129 km/h or higher!
Therefore I drive 127 or 128 km/h (with cruise control)! :)
(I know also the fault margins for other speed limits).
100 %with you on that! But I do know what the difference between GPS speed and speedometer is in my cars. I just do not want an extra app tracking my life just because I like to have a HUD.
If it needs a phone to work I will not buy one.

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:24 AM
Reaction score
Isn't this just the former - reconfigure within?

The panel is fixed.
I expect the centre display in the Grenadier has the split between the instrument cluster and other, non-driving display functions hard locked. You could probably move information around within the defined part of the display for instrumentation, but not across to the other side. That would conceivably allow Apple Carplay and other non-driving stuff to be placed closer to the driver than the critical info like speed. I don't think any jurisdiction would support having non-driving touchscreen functions (audio/sat-nav etc) more in the driver's field of view than the speedo.

Australian Design Rules state:
"The display of the speedometer must be located within the direct field of view of the driver and must be clearly legible both day and night."
So moving the speedo further away from the driver would be a fail.

I can understand how having the RHD/LHD option makes sense on prototype models for testing and demonstration purposes, but there is no logical reason why an end user would or should need to swap this part of the display over.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Isn't the GPS in/on the Gren on your phone?

Also, I'm hoping to install a HUD and I believe they run off the OBD port.
Some OBD, some GPS, some both.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:24 AM
Reaction score
Isn't the GPS in/on the Gren on your phone?
I think that should be the case if you want to run a normal sat nav programme, which will have it's own hardware/software; however, hadn't there got to be at least one GPS receiver in the Grenadier for the pathfinder software and also for the eCall facility (in those markets) where this is required?

The question might be whether you can tap into the existing one for any software that would benefit from a GPS input via a laptop/tablet with no built in receiver.

caalm

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
There is no final flash.

But it might be a rollout version. :)
Probably do what most other modern manufacturers do and you have to connect your car to a WiFi and download a new software version.

Or take it into a dealer

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Australian Design Rules state:
"The display of the speedometer must be located within the direct field of view of the driver and must be clearly legible both day and night."
So moving the speedo further away from the driver would be a fail.
Not if it remained within the direct field of view, which by definition allows the user a selection from a range of positions.

I think the definition of "direct field of view" is given as:

"All 'Visual Indicators' specified as Group I in Clause 18.2 shall be totally located between 2 vertical planes inclined at 20o left and 20o right of the longitudinal axis of the vehicle and passing through the foremost points of the left and right '95th Percentile Eye Ellipses' respectively. Such indicators shall be totally located above a plane inclined downwards at 35o from the horizontal and including a horizontal transverse line through the foremost points of each of the '95th Percentile Eye Ellipses' and below a plane tangential to the bottom of the '95th Percentile Eye Ellipses' which includes a line at ground level transverse to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle 11 m forward of the rearmost eye ellipse point."

I can understand how having the RHD/LHD option makes sense on prototype models for testing and demonstration purposes, but there is no logical reason why an end user would or should need to swap this part of the display over.
I agree, but equally there's no legal requirement that it shouldn't be possible.

The vehicle can be placed by the driver in a compliant mode and non-compliant mode for a number of systems, perhaps this is just another one of them?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:24 PM
Reaction score
I think that should be the case if you want to run a normal sat nav programme, which will have it's own hardware/software; however, hadn't there got to be at least one GPS receiver in the Grenadier for the pathfinder software and also for the eCall facility (in those markets) where this is required?

The question might be whether you can tap into the existing one for any software that would benefit from a GPS input via a laptop/tablet with no built in receiver.
I am guessing there is some sort of transmitter/receiver built in because of the breadcrumbs, but what if that app simply overlays the crumbs on the GPS app in your phone? ie Apple carplay/maps is the location part and then the breadcrumbs are placed over that map? We're hopefully going to be able to answer these questions soon!!!

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am guessing there is some sort of transmitter/receiver built in because of the breadcrumbs, but what if that app simply overlays the crumbs on the GPS app in your phone? ie Apple carplay/maps is the location part and then the breadcrumbs are placed over that map? We're hopefully going to be able to answer these questions soon!!!
Buying a GPS receiver as a part is dirt cheap, I am assuming there is one built in.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Elon Musk's 4 wheeled quattroporte centre-positioned "iPad" seems to have set the pattern 😎
I have a Tesla (my wife’s runabout) its a really nice car but the central screen is a pain. Not because its central but because almost all controls are located on the screen, even wipers. The only controls on actual switches / levers are indicators, cruise and screenwash. I find this both distracting and annoying, yes you can use thumb rollers on the wheel to control stereo and things but I’d much prefer a switch for all features such as lights, wipers etc. The good thing is the gren has this and the screen seems to be more about providing information, which should be ok…

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I couldn't be more thankful for the switchgear in the Gren. My wife's Outback - which is a great car - uses the screen for too much stuff. The HVAC controls suck that way; thankfully though, it at least has a volume knob. My nephew's Civic doesn't even have that. Talk about distracting and dangerous.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
3:24 AM
Reaction score
Speedometer position: I remember the classic Minis which had their speedometer in the middle of the dashboard.

minidash.jpg

EDIT: typo

Last edited:

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Speedometer position: I remeber the classic Minis which had their speedometer in the middle of the dashboard.

View attachment 7801550
Drivers side, passenger side, centre it was all the same in the Mini! From what I remember it only had 4 electric fuses. And some room left in the engine bay. I had a 1966 model.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Speedometer position: I remeber the classic Minis which had their speedometer in the middle of the dashboard.

View attachment 7801550
My Series II had it in the middle as well, but I think the threes were sided. But I never worried about speeding in the LR, no HVAC to control, no radio, no everything!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm old enough to remember the first GPS units that came out from Magellan ~ there were no maps, it was just a series of dots or dashes that plotted your position over time on a frequency that you could set.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Buying a GPS receiver as a part is dirt cheap, I am assuming there is one built in.
I saw this image in the review thread. The green icon looks satellite-ish. :)

screenshot_20230125_141725-jpg.7801591

Back
Top Bottom