The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

3rd party Videos Harrys Garage

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:26 PM
Reaction score
I watched his review again and he mentioned that the Grenadier was nearly 600kg heavier than the Defender 110 at 2,241kg

However, he was not comparing apples with apples.

He should have compared the Grenadier to the D300 Defender, which is almost 200KG more, plus the rock sliders.

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:26 AM
Reaction score
Interesting that when reading the comments in Harry’s review, an awful lot of people are desperate to see the Grenadier fail. I don’t get it.
I was a bit disappointed when I first watched the review and it would be easy to be disheartened by the nay sayers who regardless of any facts of the Grenadier just want to bash it because of the political leanings and wealth of the company founder. It’s pathetic really how shallow and jealous (predominantly British) people can be. In hindsight, I don’t care what the reviews say, the Grenadier (including warts and sloppy steering) on paper meets my needs for a vehicle. Provided it proves to be well built and reliable, a gamble I'm willing to take, I’ll be pleased.

RavenVoice

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I don't like to see people being rubbished in forums just because their view doesn't coincide with your view.
That’s a bit harsh; I don’t see him being ‘rubbished’ on here, pointing out that there was an obvious bias in his review is totally fair & objective given the knee-jerk reactions that people often have to these sorts of social media influencers. The point is to try & keep things in perspective; things are not always what they seem with these people & owner experience is the only true barometer that one can use save for actually getting in the vehicle for yourself.

Tanters

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Was this guy invited to the Scottish drive launch event/s? No...? Maybe a little sour grape in his cup perhaps! Like ASPW.
I would t think that’s an issue but on that note, what I did notice was all the bloody rust on the undercarriage and (fuel tank?) cover ….. that didn’t look great at all for a relatively new motor

Pipm4000

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
To the naysayers - Harry is a self made wealthy man - but a performance car man. He’s not a journalist by trade, really he’s a car nut. He made a critical point - if the grenadier is super reliable it will earn its place, for now it’s untested. In honesty mine has had the aircon fail twice, is insanely full of software glitches and had an issue on delivery with the transfer box. It’s in the dealers for a week this week. My story needs to be a rare one or it will fail on its core purpose.

RavenVoice

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
In honesty mine has had the aircon fail twice, is insanely full of software glitches and had an issue on delivery with the transfer box. It’s in the dealers for a week this week.
Sorry to hear that buddy. Mine has a window that doesn’t work but other than that all is perfect (save for the overly sensitive software issue that everybody’s experiencing).

To be honest, any & all of the issues that I’ve heard of people experiencing so far (bar the stuff pertaining to the pending software update) are all the sorts of things that should’ve & could’ve been caught & rectified relatively easily during the PDI.

It seems to me that the biggest issue at present is the shit-show that is this ‘agent’ model which Ineos has elected to go with in the UK. This leaves customers with little-to-no real customer service as the agents seem to have this attitude of it being more of a pain in the arse than anything else. The rest of the world should get much better treatment due to the utilisation of proper dealers in overseas markets.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Don't know Harry, never watched one of his vids before, but it did not feel like an impartial review. He seemed to accentuate the negative and eliminate the positive. He had the seat set very low and far back like it was a sports car and he was trying to drive it like a sports car, not sure he gets the concept.

MRO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:26 AM
Reaction score
I thought it was a good review and his criticisms pretty justified, but reflected inherent biases that most car journalists have and also missed the point. Car journalists appear to love technology and fail to assess whether it actually delivers meaningful benefit. They also don’t have to pay for servicing and modern land rovers are insanely expensive to service and repair.

I do spend quite a bit of time off-road and I really appreciate the Grenadier ride versus anything I have ever driven as well as the strength of the vehicle. Nothing else on the market that has that apart from a G wagon and pretty much rules out land rovers.

The other point that isnt being made is the classlessness of the vehicle, the same as the old defender. I could drive up to the grubbiest farmhouse or the biggest country house without being judged before I opened my mouth. That is worth an awful lot.

I expect that Jeremy Clarkson will share Harry’s view as he also has those biases but hopefully he might get the point better.

Local time
3:26 AM
Reaction score
I thought it was a good review and his criticisms pretty justified, but reflected inherent biases that most car journalists have and also missed the point. Car journalists appear to love technology and fail to assess whether it actually delivers meaningful benefit. They also don’t have to pay for servicing and modern land rovers are insanely expensive to service and repair.

I do spend quite a bit of time off-road and I really appreciate the Grenadier ride versus anything I have ever driven as well as the strength of the vehicle. Nothing else on the market that has that apart from a G wagon and pretty much rules out land rovers.

The other point that isnt being made is the classlessness of the vehicle, the same as the old defender. I could drive up to the grubbiest farmhouse or the biggest country house without being judged before I opened my mouth. That is worth an awful lot.

I expect that Jeremy Clarkson will share Harry’s view as he also has those biases but hopefully he might get the point better.
I don’t think a $72k+ vehicle qualifies as “classless” by any stretch of imagination, and that is the problem with it, assuming Ineos was truly trying to recapture the magic of the old Defender in the modern era.

Your main counterpoint to the journalists take on this vehicle is that they don’t understand technology. Wasn’t this vehicle supposed to be stripped of that very technology? Somehow I have an inkling an Ineos repair bill will be similar to that of an L663 or Disco 5. They are all laden with tech. I have been following this development since it was announced, and I think there is a lot of cognitive dissonance going on here.

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The funny thing is Harry does have a Series 1, so he knows old land rovers and he has had old 110's in the past. I think his farm review will be fairer but then the price and vat issues will come up.
Maybe this also has something to do with it.

Screenshot 2023-05-29 at 17.30.22.png

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:26 AM
Reaction score
One more point that says a lot about the impartiality of the test. Fuel consumption is only quoted under towing conditions... And confirming the lean towards the JLR group, why does the Grenadier stop in front of a JLR dealer at one point? There is a general air of bias…

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
why does the Grenadier stop in front of a JLR dealer at one point? There is a general air of bias…
He was dropping off his Jag, they are in the same building!

Reactions: PBD

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:26 AM
Reaction score
I think JLR has many pebbles in its shoes against the Grenadier and how the legal proceedings have gone. We're going to hear some good stuff about the Grenadier from a lot of JLR's independent consultants…

MRO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:26 AM
Reaction score
I don’t think a $72k+ vehicle qualifies as “classless” by any stretch of imagination, and that is the problem with it, assuming Ineos was truly trying to recapture the magic of the old Defender in the modern era.

Your main counterpoint to the journalists take on this vehicle is that they don’t understand technology. Wasn’t this vehicle supposed to be stripped of that very technology? Somehow I have an inkling an Ineos repair bill will be similar to that of an L663 or Disco 5. They are all laden with tech. I have been following this development since it was announced, and I think there is a lot of cognitive dissonance going on here.
Sorry, I may have been unclear. I think the journalists all love (and understand) new technology but lose sight of the fact that much of this new technology is a sledgehammer to crack a nut. I disliked that so much of the off road equipment on the Range Rover was software driven which occasionally led to the car being less effective off road than giving full driver control.

But I agree, the amount of tech in the core of the grenadier is disconcerting and there seems to be overkill on sensors for everything. I am optimistic about the Grenadier but not yet confident.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I think a New Defender vs Trialmaster on his farm on a muddy day would resolve any bias.
JLR have nothing to fear???

Local time
3:26 AM
Reaction score
I think a New Defender vs Trialmaster on his farm on a muddy day would resolve any bias.
JLR have nothing to fear???
PowerfulUk attempted to do this and Ineos turned him down. I agree, this would be interesting. I’m sure we’ll get some direct comparisons as more make it out to the wild.

Reactions: Max
Back
Top Bottom