The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Gutters surviving 420kg?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:18 PM
Reaction score
Quite a good dynamic loading test:
Screenshot_20230613_155430.jpg

Screenshot_20230613_155451.jpgScreenshot_20230613_155512.jpgScreenshot_20230613_155533.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230613_155533.jpg
    Screenshot_20230613_155533.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20230613_155512.jpg
    Screenshot_20230613_155512.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 22

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:18 PM
Reaction score
Seen on Reddit - the pics below show the negative impact of attaching gutter mounts too close to the outside edge of the gutter (and not dialing in the placement of the mount on the cross bar correctly). Do any current owners have the Rhino Cross Bars they could show off so we could see how they are mounted?

Thule Gutter Mounted Crossbars 1.jpgThule Gutter Mounted Crossbars 2.jpg

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:18 AM
Reaction score
Now who did that?

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:18 PM
Reaction score
Browsed the DIY store today any might try these as spacers to move the mount feet closer to the car.

Glued one layer of rubber below. Packed the whole thing into a bike tube.

View attachment 7812811

Might do the trick?!
My experience with bike tubes (yes, it is extensive) is that they degrade quickly when exposed to the elements. So it will separate between you foot/spacer, spacer/outer-vertical-gutter, but not likely beneath the spacer.

Can you source EPDM sheet?

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Seen on Reddit - the pics below show the negative impact of attaching gutter mounts too close to the outside edge of the gutter (and not dialing in the placement of the mount on the cross bar correctly). Do any current owners have the Rhino Cross Bars they could show off so we could see how they are mounted?

View attachment 7816289View attachment 7816290
I believe this is user-error, as that foot is dual-acting. As you turn the knob to tension the gutter foot, it also locks the foot to the crossbar. Looks like the foot/crossbar position was not correct when they cranked the knob!

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:18 PM
Reaction score
My experience with bike tubes (yes, it is extensive) is that they degrade quickly when exposed to the elements. So it will separate between you foot/spacer, spacer/outer-vertical-gutter, but not likely beneath the spacer.

Can you source EPDM sheet?
Thanks. I moved on and work on oak pieces whilst I try to get things 3D printed in time.

IMG_7916.jpeg

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Uuh.

That is the worst I have seen.
It is all the way out there with max lever.
And also quite narrow mounts.

I getting looking into getting some patted inox inlays (D) done that move the mounts inwards towards the car for less lever and stress.

View attachment 7812003

Spacer B to move inwards. Spacer C to keep in place and protect car paint. Spacer A being spacer B plus some extra to keep bracket vertical.

I might also just buy 3 of the Rhino crossbars for this summer and wait for more reports from the field before building the larger setup. But they seem not coming in soon, so might be too late for this years trip.
I am not impressed by 90-degree mounting feet. I have experienced similar feet fail, three feet per side on a full length rack. I began using one piece racks (fully welded, not modular) with 4+ feet per side and no failures to date (20+ years). These are used on relatively flimsy gutters of a LR D1, RRC, and my Series 109.

It appears that your DOT 200 foot has an angle design for the transition from vertical to horizontal, which is far better than Frontrunner. I understand your desire for flexibility and DIY, so if you are satisfied with the lateral stiffness of these mounts, I would increase the number of feet on each side of the vehicle. If you planned on two feet per side, increase that to four, or more! Another modification, you could add tabs and bolts to tension the clamp as shown below. This mitigates loosening of the clamps adjustment slot, while still allowing for installation adjustability.
DOT_200_Foot_Mod.jpg

For my Grenadier I ordered the full length Rhino because I like the one piece side-panel/foot design. Granted I have not seen this in person, but it appears to be the best sight-unseen option, and possibly the best design to distribute loads over the four feet. For utility I need a full length rack. I do not anticipate exceeding the maximum roof load rating, but I will carry bulky items like a 17-foot canoe. While the canoe only weights 70lbs is puts enormous side loads on poorly constructed racks. Should be a good test for Rhino...

Screenshot 2023-06-13 at 11.30.07 AM.png

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Another modification, you could add tabs and bolts to tension the clamp as shown below. This mitigates loosening of the clamps adjustment slot, while still allowing for installation adjustability.
View attachment 7816297
I think that's a critical design feature for the best.

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:18 PM
Reaction score
I am not impressed by 90-degree mounting feet. I have experienced similar feet fail, three feet per side on a full length rack. I began using one piece racks (fully welded, not modular) with 4+ feet per side and no failures to date (20+ years). These are used on relatively flimsy gutters of a LR D1, RRC, and my Series 109.

It appears that your DOT 200 foot has an angle design for the transition from vertical to horizontal, which is far better than Frontrunner. I understand your desire for flexibility and DIY, so if you are satisfied with the lateral stiffness of these mounts, I would increase the number of feet on each side of the vehicle. If you planned on two feet per side, increase that to four, or more! Another modification, you could add tabs and bolts to tension the clamp as shown below. This mitigates loosening of the clamps adjustment slot, while still allowing for installation adjustability.
View attachment 7816297

For my Grenadier I ordered the full length Rhino because I like the one piece side-panel/foot design. Granted I have not seen this in person, but it appears to be the best sight-unseen option, and possibly the best design to distribute loads over the four feet. For utility I need a full length rack. I do not anticipate exceeding the maximum roof load rating, but I will carry bulky items like a 17-foot canoe. While the canoe only weights 70lbs is puts enormous side loads on poorly constructed racks. Should be a good test for Rhino...

View attachment 7816298
Thanks for sharing your experience. Not sure what "tabs and bolts" translates to though.

I have 3 feet per side and plan to add 2 more that connect rack to the rails between them.

Really looking forward to see the Rhino one mounted as I still do not understand how they connect the back clamp as the gutter pulls in about 10mm there.

After all I seem to have my trip couple of month too early as I am sure there will be more great solution coming out soon. But too late for me, so I need to work with what I can get now.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Dave - you might also want to take a look at the rack from LeTech, shown in this video from approx 57:00 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkm4LHXPCK8&t=11s
That looks fantastic.
The way it is finished off and works with the Safari windows is great.
I would like to see the roof light bar setup rather than the round lights.
I can't find anything on their website
Trust the Germans to come up with fantastic products.
That includes the Germans from Switzerland of course

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That looks fantastic.
The way it is finished off and works with the Safari windows is great.
I would like to see the roof light bar setup rather than the round lights.
I can't find anything on their website
Trust the Germans to come up with fantastic products.
That includes the Germans from Switzerland of course
Their website should be up-and-running with full product details, including the alternative twin LED lightbar, and prices in 4 weeks time.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Looks sharp. It does cover up the tie down bars though.
Yes, I like the Black Sheep using the tie down rails for support rather than the LeTech gutter mount, but the LeTech looks neater.
Looks sharp. It does cover up the tie down bars though.

1686694597910.png1686694627723.png
1686694775859.png1686694858856.png

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom