The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Gutters surviving 420kg?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:53 PM
Reaction score
I get what you’re saying and I was being light hearted however if people take those figure’s literally and go off road they’re going to get an unpleasant surprise and a very noisy journey. Those roof protection strips whatever they are will help for sure though. I think loading directly onto the roof is fine for a trip to the DIY store to pick a few sheets of ply up for instance but not off-road use. Very happy to be corrected if anybody wants to try it but my theory is if you want to carry heavy loads use a roof rack even though the roof rack itself maybe heavy. 👍🏼
With you 100%

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Go to your local gym , load a bar to 150kg and try and lift it. Or 100kg.
Imagine that over 2m high off the ground , pushing laterally as your corner or go into a pothole.
Get a GoPro and aim it at the roof bar mounts whilst driving with a heavy load.
Scary ain't it?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:53 PM
Reaction score
I take it your jesting Dave with your last sentence ?
Good luck to anybody who wants to lash 150kg directly onto the roof then drive out into the bush down some corrugated roads 😂
It was always an "interesting" concept: 😬
FB_IMG_1654532765005.jpg

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Those roof protection strips whatever they are will help for sure though.
I don't want to take the OP's thread off on that tangent... but I'm positive that the roof protection strips, as provided, will provide very little help.

They're a great idea, but I fear the cost engineer/accountant had the final say on what got fitted. 😔

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It was always an "interesting" concept: 😬
View attachment 7811955
Yes and having done a lot of fencing contracting that’s not the way to secure and carry fence poles , those middle ones will slide out eventually They need to be in a round bundle and ratchet strapped together is my experience or better still carried in a trailer

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes and having done a lot of fencing contracting that’s not the way to secure and carry fence poles , those middle ones will slide out eventually They need to be in a round bundle and ratchet strapped together is my experience or better still carried in a trailer
aye, otherwise you'll be tossing the caber when least want too!

+1 for trailer

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:53 PM
Reaction score
That‘s how the 3/4 Frontrunner is fixed

Attachments

• IMG_4884.jpeg
    IMG_4884.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 126

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That‘s how the 3/4 Frontrunner is fixed
Uuh.

That is the worst I have seen.
It is all the way out there with max lever.
And also quite narrow mounts.

I getting looking into getting some patted inox inlays (D) done that move the mounts inwards towards the car for less lever and stress.

Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 13.43.21.png

Spacer B to move inwards. Spacer C to keep in place and protect car paint. Spacer A being spacer B plus some extra to keep bracket vertical.

I might also just buy 3 of the Rhino crossbars for this summer and wait for more reports from the field before building the larger setup. But they seem not coming in soon, so might be too late for this years trip.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Over the years I've tried to minimise roof loads to what might be accommodated on a set of roof bars and (occasionally) a removable roof basket.
The Rhino option for a full length 'platform' with its weight and cost however had me looking for other possibilities.

Then I found this: https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/products/roof-racks/full-length-steel-roof-racks.html

All steel, 2200 mm in length, 1200mm wide, 200mm high and 50kg, gutter mounted, NATA tested Australian Standards/ADR compliant , currently on "special"for AUD$389.
Even if one needed to have "Ineos" compliant gutter mounts fabricated, it is still way cheaper, and marginally lighter than the Rhino option.
Am I missing something?

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have one of these that will come over from my current vehicle. Made by Rhino, much lighter than the big platforms and easy to take on and off if you don’t want it. I have ordered the crossbars and this just clamps to them with u bolts (also rhino)IMG_4058.jpeg

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
being able to move the gutter up and down few mm without much force
Perhaps there is a reason for the flex, and it is intentional. When riding off-road (but also on the road), a stiff mount will produce higher force peaks at the gutter than a flexing mount.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Even if one needed to have "Ineos" compliant gutter mounts fabricated
I think half or perhaps more than half the solution is the spine that mounts the rack.
I haven't seen any tests that compare forces between this sort of mount and bracket mounts.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think half or perhaps more than half the solution is the spine that mounts the rack.
I haven't seen any tests that compare forces between this sort of mount and bracket mounts.
I'm not understanding what you mean by spine?

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Browsed the DIY store today any might try these as spacers to move the mount feet closer to the car.

Glued one layer of rubber below. Packed the whole thing into a bike tube.

IMG_7635.jpeg

Might do the trick?!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom